making stand alone apps.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:59pm

making stand alone apps.

Hi everyone.

I have a patch built which I would like make as a standalone app. and for it to be used as a plug in for Logic or any DAW. I’ve tried searching the forum but haven’t come up with a step by step method.

I have tied to build one using MAX but it gets converted to a .mxf file. where do i go from here?

Thanks for your help.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:09am

You cannot make plug-ins with Max5. Your only plug-in authoring option with MaxMSP, is by using Max4. I’m not sure how to get a copy of v4, you’ll have to email support and ask them.

Pluggo has been transmogrified into Max4Live……………….for better or for worse……..depends on your perspective.

However, in regards to building standalone applications; I’ve not done this in a while but after you hit “Build” in the “build script” window, you should have the option to save as a collective or an application. A collective will have the extension “.mxf”, which is not what you’re after so save as an application instead. On Mac this will result in a “.app” file extension; not sure about on Windows.

You can build standalone apps that are Rewire compatible, and/or send audio in/out from/to a DAW using a router such as Soundflower or Jack.

RIP Pluggo :(

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:29am

On Windows it will make an .exe as well as an .mxf. The .exe is essentially a custom Max Runtime app which calls the .mxf to make it run. Similar on OSX but the extensions are different, and it puts it all into an .app file which is actually a folder that can be “run”…try Show Contents to see what’s actually inside.

Also check the docs on how to include the extra bits for Jitter patches, you’ll need to copy several files into the standalone folder after you make it. Again, this differs on Mac and Windows. They’re not included automatically, though everything to make the Max and MSP parts are.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:06pm

“I’ve tried searching the forum but haven’t come up with a step by step method.”

step by step answers can be found more in docs than on these forums:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/standalones.html

doc home page:

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/intro/docintro.html

also, the move to destroy pluggo was just a plain greedy corporate one(Ableton makes more money than Cycling74 and that’s too hard to resist, plain and simple), you’ll never see chuck or supercollider or csound or pd LOSING functionality…,
so instead of pluggo/plugins you’ll want to use something weird and convoluted like rewire~. see helpfile.
hope it helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.