malloc error and plugsyncindex overflow

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:07pm

malloc error and plugsyncindex overflow

After upgrading to Snow Leopard, I’ve started to get a new error when I open some Max for Live patches in Max:

malloc: *** error for object 0x16e1d000: pointer being freed was not allocated

It shows every time certain patches are opened, but it does not cause a crash (at least not at once). Anyone know how to debug this type of error? Anyone had the same problem?

On one huge patch I’m working on I also get the following error sometimes:

plugrunner_dotimeevent: plugsyncindex overflow!

It usually prints like 20 times in a row in the console. I could not find any references to this error elsewhere in this forum.

#55347
Mar 7, 2011 at 1:11pm

Actually this malloc error comes every time I open Max! I’ve tested it on two computers (iMac and Macbook Pro) running different versions (5.1.2 on the iMac and 5.17 on the Macbook), but both where running Snow Leopard

#199195
Mar 7, 2011 at 2:57pm

snow leopard requires much more memory to run max, this is known @ cycling
I think this is causes your crashes, you reach the memory limit much faster

Are the patches that crash really big and memory hungry?

plus note that max and live both have to do with the same 4 gb memory limit, they have to share that 4 gb in the max4live case

#199196
Mar 7, 2011 at 5:12pm

Hmm, ok. But it’s still weird that the malloc error shows EVERY time Max is started (before any patches are opened). The patch I’m having trouble with is really big, but I don’t believe it to be very memory hungry. It uses Csound (with a special build of csound~) and there seems to be some problems on the Csound side aswell. I’m currently trying to build a new build with the updated source code for csound~ (1.1.0) to see if this might make it more stable.

I’ve also had trouble with Csound which produces a “broken pipe” error which leads to a “bus error” which is a new error with Snow Leopard, but there is obviously something going on with Max as well since this big patch still crashes after I have removed both the csound-external and the Csound frameworks (i.e. no way that Csound can start). Still Max crashes and sometimes causes Live to crash as well. Here is the report from the last crash:

http://justpaste.it/971

#199197

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.