massively stuck with circular buffer reverse real time sound thingy

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:51pm

massively stuck with circular buffer reverse real time sound thingy

i can’t quite get this right in my head, i am sure there is a way to do this with just buffer~ count~ poke~ index~ but i cannae quite get there captain

had a look at some of the tapin/tapout things but can’t figure them out, i’d like to understand them, not just copy paste.

any help greatly appreciated

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:38pm

Did “having a look at some of the things” include a little quality time with MSP tutorials 26 and 27 on delay lines? I think they’re quite clear at explaining what’s going on, and might at least provide a decent baseline for your next questions….

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:45pm

You can do the reversing with a [!-~ ] right before index~. Just send the length of the circular buffer into its right inlet and it will output the reverse sample index. I’ve made a couple of circular buffer patches with count~ poke~ and index~, and I’ve found them very interesting with modulated feedback loops (I’m still not entirely sure I couldn’t do it all more simply just with tapin/out~, but ne’er mind…….it’s interesting to experiment). You will run into clicking problems if the “record head” crosses the “play head” so to speak, which is likely with reverse stuff.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:05pm

…but those clicks are features, not bugs.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16pm

: ) a bit of nicely timed glitch can sound great

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:50pm

here’s what i’m messing about with

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Feb 12, 2010 at 10:56am

Hi Raja thanks for taking the time to look at it

I’ve highlighted the problem with the clicks, most of the time this isn’t that evident but with a sine tone its easy to hear

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:32am

Hi Mike,

I can’t get your patch to click/pop either. I created a simplified version here and I still can’t get it to glitch:

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:51pm

Hi Sixtin, this is my code from above with the sine wave but this time with a loadbang! I definitely hear clicking in the reversed (right) channel, which must be from the write head crossing the read head or something like that. i have on one occasion had no clicking but i presume that was a fluke as i’ve tried many combinations of vector sizes. obviously doing this with the count~ method is going to require a bit more than this simple approach

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:47am

Cool patch!

At least some of your clicking (that at the “loop points”) is simply caused by waveform discontinuities, which are exaggerated by the choice of such a pure source, I tried a few samples in your original patch and did not here any clicking.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.