Forums > MaxMSP

Math functions with changing parameters…

February 7, 2007 | 7:29 pm

I find myself having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around more complex paths that have a bunch of user definable parameters. One of the things I am trying to understand is how to go about synchronizing the data being received from UI elements and generating the correct response.

First, I think the problem is that I come from C/C++ programming background, so I think in terms of function calls.

One of the problems I seem to have is understanding the flow. I have read the documentation and done some testing, but let me ask for sure.

Here is a good example, I have a table that I am sending dump to. When that number gets sent out, does it continue down the path till no new messages are getting creating, and then table generates the next value and sends out? This makes sense to me, but I want to make sure. This would explain why things were not getting handles as I thought they should.


February 8, 2007 | 10:18 am

Rick Burnett wrote:
> Here is a good example, I have a table that I am sending dump to.
> When that number gets sent out, does it continue down the path till
> no new messages are getting creating, and then table generates the
> next value and sends out? This makes sense to me, but I want to make
> sure. This would explain why things were not getting handles as I
> thought they should.

The best way to find out for you, set up a simple test and then enable
trace and step through your patch, you can easily follow each step and
the order. I am sure this will enlighten you…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


February 8, 2007 | 4:38 pm

The unfortunate thing is that trace is not working well on my MacBook. When I turn it on, the interconnect goes white when I select it, so I’ve not been able to use it.

One question I had was on processing. Is a line of messages interruptable? Meaning, I have a fairly heavy set of GUI code. When I move sliders, I can see it sending TONS of messages to update the GUI. If it started getting too many, I wonder if that is blocking the audio portion because it’s getting hung up trying to redraw the GUI so many times.


February 9, 2007 | 10:54 am

Rick Burnett wrote:
> The unfortunate thing is that trace is not working well on my
> MacBook. When I turn it on, the interconnect goes white when I
> select it, so I’ve not been able to use it.

Don’t know what you mean with that, but if there is an issue with
MacIntels trace, it should be reported and adressed, trace is a very
crucial function in the debuggin’ process…

What you usually have to do though, is to really have only the part you
are interested in open, elsewise it could happen that some metro or
polling object will create millions of messages which you are not
interested in…
And all is reported in the Max window, just follow it…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


February 9, 2007 | 3:44 pm

On 9 Feb 2007, at 10:54, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> Don’t know what you mean with that, but if there is an issue with
> MacIntels trace, it should be reported and adressed, trace is a
> very crucial function in the debuggin’ process…

I’ve never ever used it. I’m not even totally sure what it does…

(On the other hand, the fact that I can debug running MXJ code in
Eclipse is pretty crucial for me…)

– N.


February 9, 2007 | 11:44 pm


February 10, 2007 | 10:32 am



_j
February 10, 2007 | 12:41 pm

trace has always been a bad solution. Your best bet is to put print objects in questionable places.


February 10, 2007 | 4:22 pm


February 10, 2007 | 6:06 pm

On 10-Feb-2007, at 13:41, James wrote:

> trace has always been a bad solution.

Trace has its limitations, but it’s not a ‘bad’ solution. It is a
quick way to follow the seqence of message passing, which can
sometimes present surprises, even to the most experienced.

No, it’s not very helpful once metros start banging away. But it’s
another tool you can use for debugging.

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
Universal Binaries on the way
iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de


Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)