Forums > MaxMSP

MATLABesque scripting?

July 31, 2013 | 9:04 am

Hi there – I’m just getting into Max and I see now that its very similar to other graphical programming languages such as Matlab’s Simulink. I did a little research, but could find a good answer to these questions:

1) Does Max have a command line scripting interface like would be found on Matlab?

2) If not, does it have a object that can be used as a sub patcher and allows for scripting or command line programming? My favorite thing about Simulink is that it has a "Matlab" object which is effectively a subpatcher where you can enter whatever Matlab code you like. That way its best of both worlds – use graphical programming when its convenient, but also use command line programming when its more convenient.

Thanks!

July 31, 2013 | 10:04 am

I’m not familiar with Matlab but you can write your own externals in C (and various other C flavours), there is the [mxj] object for java, [js] for javascript and then a host of third party externals that will run other languages if you feel more comfortable writing textual code. If you’re up to date with Max6 (which I am not) then there is also [gen].

Other possibilities include lisp, python, ruby, csound, chuck, lua and probably a whole host more I’ve forgotten about – if you know what you want to use then search the forum and you’ll find links and explanations all over the place!

July 31, 2013 | 3:52 pm

Hi Luke – thanks for the detailed response. Your information is definitely informative. I plan on checking out the mxj object to see if it will do what I need.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)