Forums > MaxMSP

MAx 462/iMac Intel – MIDI freeze


jln
February 12, 2007 | 11:46 pm

Hello,

I’m just wondering if there’s a know problem with MIDI connection ,
Max 462 and iMac Intel ? From times to times, Max completely freezes
so I can only force it to quit. For sure, my patch has a lot of bugs
but it doesn’t seem to be the problem here since even the help file
of [ctlin] happens not to work (it doesn’t freeze Max but the object
doesn’t output anything). I’m not able the reproduce the problem so
far. It seems to me that it just *sometimes* happens…

In fact, I’m not even sure it is related to Max or to OSX since when
I launched the Audio/MIDI config application, it crashed… I suppose
it’s not a good sign.

I searched the web but did not find anything really relevant for now.
So I just ask in case I missed some informations or in case someone
experienced the problem.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Best,
Julien.

iMac Intel Core Duo 1,83 GHz / Max 4.6.2 / with both Firepod or M-
Audio 2*2 as midi in.



_j
February 14, 2007 | 12:55 pm

well, you said it best, you have a really complex patch.. and all that. It could be the interface, the computer, max… you shuld try building something smaller in Max and seeing if you can reproduce the results.

I have never had that experience, personally.



jln
February 14, 2007 | 7:22 pm

Quote: _jamez_ wrote on Wed, 14 February 2007 13:55
—————————————————-
> well, you said it best, you have a really complex patch.. and all that.

Thanks for answering but it’s not the case here. I’d *love* the problem to be cause by my buggy patching !… ;-) As I said, the problem occurs as well with only the ctlin help file. I tried working on small patch this afternoon, with the help file of ctlin opened and after a time, the MIDI connection seems to get lost. That’s the only thing I can reproduce and it’s far from happening at everytime.

Concerning the hardware side, I would be very unlucky if the problem was caused by both the M-Audio 2*2 and the Firepod, wouldn’t I ? Not to mention that both the telemeter I use and the midi interfaces work with my old G4 (wich isn’t fast enough to run the whole patch, unfortunately).

That’s why I was thinking more about a Max or an OS issue, but if I’m the only one who have the problem, I suppose that’s unlikely.

That said, my G4 was running fine with Max 4.5.7 so I’ll this Max when back to my iMac Intel tomorrow. If it is still happening, then I’ll try a complete reinstall of the OS, maybe. I’ll post here to let you know.

Sorry, if I seem to insist but, one can imagine how much this situation is embarrassing when you’re two day before a presentation of the project… ;-)

Best,
Julien



jln
February 17, 2007 | 1:42 am

Quote: jln wrote on Wed, 14 February 2007 20:22

> That said, my G4 was running fine with Max 4.5.7 so I’ll this Max when back to my iMac Intel tomorrow. If it is still happening, then I’ll try a complete reinstall of the OS, maybe. I’ll post here to let you know.

Well. Just a note to let you know I’m please to announced that I lost the midi connection few hours before the show and was not able to establish it again – at least, not longer than 500 ms or so…

I made various tests of hardware (interface + midi gear) and everything worked fine on another computer (non Intel, though). I’ll make a reinstall of OSX in the next few days and see if it gets any better. If not, it won’t hurt and my "spring cleaning" will be done…



Spa
February 18, 2007 | 5:18 pm

Ive also got a totally unstable midi on macpro with a Behringer BFR2000. Simple ctlin catch it for few seconds that drop it…
BAD



jln
February 18, 2007 | 6:56 pm


Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)