Forums > MaxMSP

Max 5 problems

February 18, 2009 | 7:17 am

Hello I’ve been having problems with Max 5 crashing a lot and behaving badly.
Earlier today Max began giving the warning

newobj: coll: No such object

I would go the the Cycling’74 folder and attempt to manually open coll.mxo and then afterwards it would be fine using the coll object until I would have to restart Max.

That wasn’t such a big deal but just now I get this message when trying to open DSP Status from the Options drop down menu.

patcher attempting to load itself: ART:/Applications/Max5/Cycling ’74/interfaces/Uzi
perhaps you have mistakenly named a patcher file the same name as an object it contains. this is not permitted.
newobj: Uzi: No such object
jpatchline_completeconnection: index out of range.
patcher: jpatchline_new: outlet index out of range
patcher attempting to load itself: ART:/Applications/Max5/Cycling ’74/interfaces/Uzi
perhaps you have mistakenly named a patcher file the same name as an object it contains. this is not permitted.

The only messing around with the MMJ files I’ve done is to install a few external libraries and objects.
CNMAT_MMJ_objects
FFTease Externals
jr.abstractions
vb_objects
plus fiddle~ and bonk~

I think I’m going to have to try re-installing Max again but I thought I’d post this to see if anyone had anything to contribute…proper care and feeding of Max 5.
Are there particular things to avoid file organization-wise?
Maybe leave out some/all of the externals?
Burn some sage?
17" Aluminum Powerbook 1GHz, 2GB RAM OS 10.5.6

Thanks very much!

-B

February 18, 2009 | 11:15 am

You said it ;-) Try renaming your patches. Uzi, coll, counter are really bad names for patches because they will override the normal externals.

HTH,

February 18, 2009 | 4:53 pm

I didn’t create any patches named Uzi, coll, or counter. I’m not that dim.

When I said that I went back to try to open the coll object I meant that I went to the
Max-externals folder and tried to open the object file itself which Max had said didn’t exist.

-B

February 18, 2009 | 6:45 pm

I have downloaded and re-installed Max 5.0.5 and without making any changes to the application or files whatsoever
I get the same behavior with the DSP window and coll object right off the bat.

Weird….

I emailed Customer Support and will let you know what happens.

-B

February 18, 2009 | 7:09 pm

On Feb 18, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Briggan Krauss wrote:

> I didn’t create any patches named Uzi, coll, or counter. I’m not
> that dim.

It doesn’t have to be patches. Anything in the search path, with any
extension will cause problems.

Uzi.txt, coll.xls, or counter.doc would cause problems, too.

- C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

February 18, 2009 | 7:19 pm

And…
if you have other collectives or apps built with Max in the search path, I believe Max will search those, too. Perhaps it’s trying to load a pre-Max-5 version of coll? Have you tried launching after removing all the 3rd party objects/extras from your search path? If it works, then something in your search path is causing problems.

David

February 19, 2009 | 6:51 pm

If Max says you have a patch named uzi, you have a patch named uzi.

Don’t argue. Go looking for the patch (or text file, or data file, or whatever).

Spotlight may help you (although I think it won’t search inside bundles, ie collectives).

BUT DON’T ARGUE!!!

We get this question once a month and ***always*** it turns out that there was a badly named file in the search path. Always.

Don’t argue. Search.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)