Forums > MaxMSP

Max 5 rslider request

April 28, 2008 | 8:17 am

I love the feel of the new rslider. I’ve been playing with it today
not just as a control but as an indicator, especially with low alpha
as an overlay on number boxes.

I would really like a clear command for rslider that would return it
to the state where nothing is selected, like it is on first being
instantiated.

Vlad


April 28, 2008 | 11:15 am

On 28 avr. 08, at 10:17, Vlad Spears wrote:

> I love the feel of the new rslider. I’ve been playing with it today
> not just as a control but as an indicator, especially with low alpha
> as an overlay on number boxes.
>
> I would really like a clear command for rslider that would return it
> to the state where nothing is selected, like it is on first being
> instantiated.

Just send "0 0", or "set 0 0" if 0 is your minimum value.

ej


April 28, 2008 | 3:28 pm

On Apr 28, 2008, at 4:15 AM, Emmanuel Jourdan wrote:

> On 28 avr. 08, at 10:17, Vlad Spears wrote:
>
>> I love the feel of the new rslider. I’ve been playing with it
>> today not just as a control but as an indicator, especially with
>> low alpha as an overlay on number boxes.
>>
>> I would really like a clear command for rslider that would return
>> it to the state where nothing is selected, like it is on first
>> being instantiated.
>
>
> Just send "0 0", or "set 0 0" if 0 is your minimum value.
>
> ej

I tried that, but it still draws a single line selection at 0 no
matter what pixel width a step would be. When used as an indicator,
especially with a transparent border, that single line is unwanted.
Also, even if used as a range selection controller, I think it would
be nice to completely clear the selection somehow to indicate nothing
is selected.

So maybe I’m actually requesting that sending "0 0" and "set 0 0"
doesn’t draw anything as a selection and clears anything currently
selected, rather than a new clear message.

Vlad


April 28, 2008 | 3:51 pm

On 28 avr. 08, at 17:28, Vlad Spears wrote:

> I tried that, but it still draws a single line selection at 0 no
> matter what pixel width a step would be. When used as an indicator,
> especially with a transparent border, that single line is unwanted.
> Also, even if used as a range selection controller, I think it would
> be nice to completely clear the selection somehow to indicate
> nothing is selected.
>
> So maybe I’m actually requesting that sending "0 0" and "set 0 0"
> doesn’t draw anything as a selection and clears anything currently
> selected, rather than a new clear message.

Although I understand that it could be useful, I’ve a problem with the
idea. When you first instantiate rslider, it does have a selection of
0 0, and it shows that. The object always show you a range, if you
want to hide it, you can simply set the alpha of the slider color to 0.

ej


April 28, 2008 | 5:31 pm

On Apr 28, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Vlad Spears wrote:
> So maybe I’m actually requesting that sending "0 0" and "set 0 0"
> doesn’t draw anything as a selection and clears anything currently
> selected, rather than a new clear message.

An abstraction could be hung in front of rsliders inputs that set the
color of the slider to transparent whenever those values came in.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com


April 28, 2008 | 6:19 pm

On Apr 28, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Emmanuel Jourdan wrote:

> Although I understand that it could be useful, I’ve a problem with
> the idea. When you first instantiate rslider, it does have a
> selection of 0 0, and it shows that. The object always show you a
> range, if you want to hide it, you can simply set the alpha of the
> slider color to 0.
>
> ej

Okay, I somehow mistook it’s actually showing the thin line, sorry.
Maybe a clear message is what I’m wanting, after all.

I thought I could work around it by storing and restoring alpha to
hide the range like you and Chris suggest. That was my original plan.

But in trying this now, I think my request just turned into a bug
report. I’ve found I can’t actually get the range display to go to
zero alpha. It never becomes invisible. There’s also some difference
between the range selection edges and the interior color going on.
Selection edges are darker.

MacBook Pro 17", 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 10.5.2, Max 5.0.1
(34740)


April 28, 2008 | 9:14 pm

On 28 avr. 08, at 20:19, Vlad Spears wrote:

> But in trying this now, I think my request just turned into a bug
> report. I’ve found I can’t actually get the range display to go to
> zero alpha. It never becomes invisible. There’s also some
> difference between the range selection edges and the interior color
> going on. Selection edges are darker.

Sounds like I should check before offering solutions ;-) I’ll have a
look to it (for the alpha).

ej


Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)