Forums > MaxMSP

[Max 5] textedit bug?

May 11, 2008 | 8:32 am

According to the Max reference, the message "enter" to a textedit object is supposed to output the current text and takes the editing focus away from the object, – but it doesn’t.

May 11, 2008 | 9:08 am

Quote: elisabeth wrote on Sun, 11 May 2008 04:32
—————————————————-
> According to the Max reference, the message "enter" to a textedit object is supposed to output the current text and takes the editing focus away from the object, – but it doesn’t.
—————————————————-
For me it seems "enter" only defocuses and outputs if the contents of the [textedit] have been changed since it gained focus. I have no idea if this is working as intended since this seems to be a new feature in Max 5, but if it is, I would say we ask for a change because it seems this message would be more useful if it worked in all focus situations.

May 11, 2008 | 2:06 pm

To make it output when enter is pressed, you have to set that in the inspector. Check the box that says "Return enters text".

May 11, 2008 | 5:32 pm

Quote: vze1mk7d wrote on Sun, 11 May 2008 10:06
—————————————————-
> To make it output when enter is pressed, you have to set that in the inspector. Check the box that says "Return enters text".
—————————————————-
I am pretty sure the OP was referring to the new "enter" message that [textedit] can take. You point out another interesting change (bug IMO) in the Max 5 version of [textedit]. Currently, the ‘enter’ key and the ‘return’ key have the same functionality when [textedit] is focused (i.e. they both create carriage-returns or they both output+defocus depending on the inspector value for "Return enters text"). This strikes me as a bug because in Max 4.6 ‘enter’ would output+defocus regardless of the "Return enters text" parameter and ‘return’ would either carriage-return or output+defocus depending on the settings. Seems like a good thing when ‘enter’ and ‘return’ were treated differently because that allowed for carriage-returns and use of ‘enter’ to submit.

I have realized that I over simplified by last response because there seem to be multiple changes between the Max 4.6 and the Max 5 [textedit]–some of it seems like possible feature changes and some of it like bugs. Here is what I have observed:

"enter" message
—————
new to Max 5 and as the name implies, it has the same function as pushing the ‘enter’ key which in Max 5 is to output content and defocus. If the content of the [textedit] has not been changed since gaining focus, the "enter" message simply defocuses. The functionality of the "enter" message seems to be independent of the "Return enters text" option.

‘enter’/'return’ keys
———–
Max 4.6: If [textedit] has focus when the ‘enter’ key is pressed the contents will be outputted and [textedit] remains in focus. The ‘return’ key functions differently only outputting text if "return enters text" is chosen and otherwise gives

Max 5: Only functions as ‘enter’ key if "return enters text" is selected, otherwise it generates a carriage-return–this one seems like a bug because we loose the functionality of distinct ‘enter’ and ‘return’ keys. Now in Max 5, if "return enters text" is selected, both ‘enter’ and ‘return’ will defocus [textedit]–I can’t decide if that seems like a feature change or bug of the new GUI. Also changed in Max 5 is that ‘enter’/'return’ only will output the content of the [textedit] if changes have been made since the object gained focus–in my last post I called this a bug, but it seems like it intentional or not it may be a feature improvement because since we still have "bang" to trigger output, ‘enter’ could be used as an "output only if dirty" option….if this is an intended feature it does seem to me that it would be more useful if [textedit] had the Max 4.6 functionality of keeping focus after pressing ‘enter’.

Sorry if a lot of this (especially the 4.6 info) seems obvious/redundant, I just wanted to be as clear as possible highlighting the differences/possible bugs.

These observations were comparing Max 4.6.3 with Max 5.0.2 on MacOS X 10.5.2.

May 12, 2008 | 9:26 pm

Quote: Roth wrote on Sun, 11 May 2008 10:32
—————————————————-
> Also changed in Max 5 is that ‘enter’/'return’ only will output the content of the [textedit] if changes have been made since the object gained focus–in my last post I called this a bug, but it seems like it intentional or not it may be a feature improvement because since we still have "bang" to trigger output

Except bang doesn’t work like it used to either, as I was describing over here:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=139396&rid=0&S=3359cdf2fbd2c3dedd6f5b15b7a7033e#msg_139396

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)