Max 6.0.1 Released
Many of the Max 6 issues reported here have been fixed. Please take a moment to update to the latest version 6.0.1
Max 6.0.1 release notes:
• highlight patcher object box via double click on inlet/outlet
• autocompletion now filters out redundancy
• jit.gl.material: messages to open/close material browser window
• pfft~: open original patch under contextual menu
• persistence of object explorer disclosable headers
• autocompletion dimmed text and enter/tab/space/defocus completes text
• implement gen access to the object via help
• new jit.gen, gen, and jit.gl.lua examples
• jit.gl.lua vignette
• MSP optimizations on both platforms
• minimixer improvements
• Gen documentation updates
• reveal preferences toolbar item
• keyboard shortcuts working in save as dialog
• mxj: outletHigh fixes
• documentation browser: now work on Windows
• hint: documented delay time of 0
• patch cords at edge of window cause no longer cause scroll bars
• jit.pwindow: works as a rendering destination in MFL
• added missing clues in Max Preferences / Patcher Window
• setclock: fixed "mul" mode
• bogus objects now respect Object Defaults color
• Projects: .avi files added to ‘Media’ section
• dict: ‘export’ message fix
• cycle~: fixes for high frequency setting
• jit.displays: verifies that displaymode < count before sending
• cycle~: no longer goes from sinusoid to negative DC with ramp
• jit.gl.slab: slab processing/parameter fixes
• jit.gl.multiple: glparam "color" now works in all cases
• cycle~: improvements to sound "quality" differences between Max 5 and 6
• buffer~: ‘sizeinsamps’ allocates channels properly
• vst~: audio throughput when no plug present
• documentation browser: Forward button now works
• vst~: output no longer limited to first two channels
• ‘Open help patcher’ from reference: does not open an additional copy
• deencapsulate: now disabled for all UI objects
• dict.route: fixed crash for when it receives a dictionary and has no args
• Removing objects from presentation mode: fixed crash
• inspector in the explorer: now gets the focus
• menubar: help menu no longer missing from custom menubar (Mac only)
• Max For Live: fixes for Live windows graphic issues and crash
• waveform~: Ruler BPM now updates
• function: ‘setdomain’ and ‘setrange’ now notify attrui/getattr
• gen~: adding a filename argument to an existing gen~ now loads the file
• .genjit/.gendsp files: can be added to Projects
• jit.gl.model: fixed matrixoutput
• gen patchers: no longer accept inappropriate key commands
• plot~: range caption clipping and positioning fixes
• text editor: now shows correct line number for initial insertion point
• text editing is immediately enabled after dragging an object into a patcher from the object explorer
• circular menu pop-up: fixed positioning
• color: improvements when using color… in the object menu for objects and patch cords
• dropfile: can now resize when corners are very round
• Inspector menus: regularized inspector pop-up menu locating behavior and appearance
• clicking a separator or disabled item closes a JUCE pop-up menu
• attrui: has an icon in object explorer
• Gen: comparison == op improvements
• jit.window: src/dst rect fixes
• audio driver: NRT audio driver now works with new mixer engine
• pattrstorage: ‘setstoragestate’ updates value in param mode
• ‘open original’: disabled for original patcher
• slash in path: Max 6 now opens files with a slash in the path (Mac)
• text editor window: pasting text into jed sets dirty flag for window
• jit.gl.render: fixed texture message error from JS
• ob3d matrixoutput mode 2 documentation
• Inspector menus: clicking on other windows no longer causes crash
• oscbank~: fixed ‘glitches’
• jitter: geometry shaders now work
• zl: fixed frozen @zlmaxsize attribute/argument priority
• bitsafe~: works properly in Max 6
• enable minimum IOVS of 32
• windows support for larger patches
• MaxAPI framework: Apple AppStore-compatible
• nan: fixed issues with average~,atodb~,dbtoa~,sqrt~,ftom~,mtof~,saw~,tri~ and mgraphics
• jit.window: support for modifier keys
• jit.window: suppress ctrl+click window switching popup
• line: fix for erratic behavior in MFL devices while in Max Editor
• projects: eliminated file/folder deletion issue which occurred under certain circumstances when moving project files in the Finder/Explorer
thanks so much for the dict export fix!!!
Great to see so many bug fixes addressed in such a short time….i don’t see any mention of the oft reported problem with auto completion and search paths. Has that been fixed by any chance?
I also love that support for apple store is addressed….I think that feature alone will make Max a compelling crosss-platform tool for many kinds of apps.
Impressive bugfix list for sure ! Anything new about the sfplay negative speed bug ?
Nope — auto-complete is still not working — what’s worse is that even the Object Explorer can’t find my objects even though they’re in the search path of the loaded project (proof: if I manually type in one of my objects, it does get instantiated so Max knows about my search path)
@dhjdhjdhj Have you tried resetting your database? Send a message to Max using [; max db.reset]. Might help.
----------begin_max5_patcher---------- 260.3ocmPtjSCCCD.cs8oXjWmDEmffBsa3.vI.pPNNCsFhsqhmHEnp2cZbRf HwFZ2LR9Me7Luiblnx2iAA7.7LvXG4LVDM.XSuYBqpW2nBwxDZu0hNRjLliv dJx2jlB5Fi9Cv6.ZuI.JWMzhAR0RvSp94NZLNT66bw1JlftNquiZPJ9I4STS cbz9p2Skx49ey6HmxhwTO1ZTMyYNnH8dia2qsnlFuIorLKOAJtcHd+pgX4MY 4v1ECKX9JNLYQV9uqiwMuMxA1INeHj7OsjECA0N7OVZ8KsmqCpqxNaFjt.mH mniH5yC33EJD+bLKz0cWksJVHqU4QYUdgxpXgrfs7S7uA.7JQpI -----------end_max5_patcher-----------
Hope this helps.
I appreciate the suggestion but unfortunately, it made absolutely no difference. Tried it several times with both global file paths and project-level file paths.
thanks for the geometry shader bugfix !!
If you have not had contact with support or engineering about this auto completion thing then please get in touch with me, send me the object or some kind of way of replicating your exact setup, steps, system etc and I’ll have a look. I am not able to reproduce problems so far based on what I’ve read.
I’m still experiencing a serious drop in speed/frame rates when I turn on adc. Any suggestions?
Can you post a patch, OS, computer model, numbered steps to repro?
If you download the zip file from my website (http://deskew.com/component/jdownloads/?task=view.download&cid=49), expand it to a folder and add that folder to Max, then try to instantiate any of the items in the subfolders underneath — autocomplete does not work for me on either machine on which I have tried it.
It did (sort of) work once but not any more. Also, if you do instantiate an object by its full name, then autocomplete works for that object the SECOND time you try to instantiate it.
Thanks a lot.Very professional and fast.
This is the expected behavior. Autocomplete in an object box only works the second time you attempt to instantiate any abstraction in Max’s search path.
Really? That would seem less than useful. It’s usually the first time I use an object that I can’t remember the full name and THAT’s when I want to see the auto completion.
I don’t need autocompletion to save me tying, I need it to help me remember!
More relevantly, on my other Mac, it works fine — as soon as I start typing an object name (from something in my search path), I immediately get that nice popup list of available matches.
Managing huge libraries of patchers for autocompletion is a complex issue, and not something that we want to "solve" with a heavy hand. I do agree that we could implement some things to help out in this area, so it is something that will be discussed as we move forward.
Just a clarification, this is just for abstractions, not objects. Objects will automatically "register" with autocompletion.
Another side note, if you use the Object Explorer, you can search for abstractions by name in the ‘patcher’.
I am certainly talking about abstractions but on the machine where autocomplete wasn’t working, the Object Explorer does not find them either.
I guess I don’t understand where lies the complexity. Ignoring issues of contextual help and just wanting an easy way to be reminded of already created abstractions, it seems to me that it should be pretty trivial to just collect the names of all .maxpat objects in the search path and index them so that autocomplete can be done. Even with 50,000 abstractions, it would just be a few megabytes of ram to manage an index.
Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback
On the computer that isn’t working, what is the full path of your folder with all your abstractions?
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.8
The patch is attached.
Here are the steps (in presentation mode)…
-click large on/off toggle
-click "open" message box
-select vid (bottom left) in matrixcntrl
-click the toggle labelled "Preview"
-Click load to load list of videos (I have a list of 10 video files, ranging from 1mb to 100mb, 1-8 are 720×480 and 9-10 are 1440×1080)*
-Push number 3 on your keyboard. This is the setting for the maximum number of video FX. (The video should be running between 25-30fps)
-Click the toggle for adc~ 1
You should be able to see the drop in frame rates now. It’s even more dramatic when you begin to play around with the audio controls and routing.
*You don’t actually need to load the list of videos to trigger the drop if you don’t have any suitable files handy.
Thanks a lot!
Quite a sprawling patch. There are some dependencies missing, an abstraction called "poly_loadvids_nogl_june30" and perhaps some cv.jit stuff?
Could you create a new project, add this patch, consolidate, take a snapshot and send it along?
I’m doubtful that we will be able to do much troubleshooting with it, but I could at least try and reproduce any performance differences between Max 6 and Max 5.
If you are able to make a simple patch that shows any performance differences, along with some numbered steps to repro, that would be ideal.
Hi, Ben, the path is
dhjdhjdhj, unable to repro here so far.
Is ‘HD2′ an external drive? If so, what kind of connection? What size is the /MaxLibrary6 folder?
It’s a second drive I installed in my laptop (replaces the CD) that runs at 7200 RPM (so that I can stream samples faster). I put anything that needs faster access on that drive. According to GetInfo, the entire collection of files takes up about 3.7Mb. There are about 175 files and most of them are between 4K and 12K each. A couple are 20K.
Does moving this folder to somewhere on your internal drive, then adding it to your search path make the problem go away? I’d like to determine if it is an issue that is specific to this search path/separate drive.
I had no issues with an external USB drive, but maybe there is something specific about this kind of drive…
Unfortunately, at this point, that experiment will have to wait until I’m done with some band rehearsals. I had to go back to Max5 due to some occasional crashes in Max6 and consequently had to uninstall Max 6
Will get back to it ASAP
I have a question regarding installing minor upgrades of Max 6. Since I have lots of 3rd-party external libraries installed, do I have to delete the previous Max fold and do a clean installation for every minor upgrades? Or is there a way that I can simply install into/replace the existing folder, while keeping all my external libraries untouched.