max 6 interface back to max 4 ?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:15am

max 6 interface back to max 4 ?

Hi,

I am user of max 4.6.3 since a while and it seems I have to update because OSX lion does not support the 4.6.3 version (the adc~ object can’t recognize the input or microphone :(. Or more likely it recognize the input but there is some strange bug making a buzz, so impossible to use… anyway.

So I am trying max 6 (and may upgrade to it) but I really dislike the new graphic design, make everything very slow (and my computer is a i7 with 1Go video card)… So my question is very simple, is there any option to set the patcher back to the “old” style of max 4.6.3 with thin cords and such ?

Also, I’ve tried to open my patch on the new max but many bugs and problems (the meters have bugs and does not have any reaction). The waveform is not working well (when I sample it is not stable picture, goes on and off all the time), etc..

Has anyone a solution or idea ? Or should I go back to OSX 1.6.8 which was really working well with max/msp 4.6….

Sorry my message is not very clear, my english is like my patches : messy !

Best

Niko

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:18pm

> is there any option to set the patcher back to the “old” style of max 4.6.3 with thin cords and such ?

you could have monocolored, maybe thinner and non curved cords max5 style (check the menu Max/Preferences, not sure where it is iside this) but i don’t know if it will help regarding speed

> Also, I’ve tried to open my patch on the new max but many bugs and problems (the meters have bugs and does not have any reaction). The waveform is not working well (when I sample it is not stable picture, goes on and off all the time), etc..

Welcome to the world of backward compatibility….. best shot would be finding if there are more recent objects equivalent to those you’re using, that would work better wiht more recent max versions.

> Has anyone a solution or idea ? Or should I go back to OSX 1.6.8 which was really working well with max/msp 4.6….

I’ve heard several times that 10.6.8 is, like, among the most stables and suited for audio and not annoying for many reasons, unlike in more recent osx. However, i’m not sure i’d recommend going back to it, since downgrading a mac os is far from an easy operation.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:00am

Thanks vichug for your answers !

>> Also, I’ve tried to open my patch on the new max but many bugs and problems (the meters have bugs and does not have any reaction). The waveform is not working well (when I sample it is not stable picture, goes on and off all the time), etc..

>Welcome to the world of backward compatibility….. best shot would be finding if there are more recent objects equivalent to those you’re using, that would work better wiht more recent max versions.

I’ve looked about this, but the main problem is that my patch (the one I really love to use) is so messy that I can not change the object, simply too many things to reconnect, I rather have to make it again… :( but the problem of the slow GUI really make me having doubt to buy the update… So far I still can downgrade my osx to snow leopard, but I know that at some points I will have to upgrade to new max version when my laptop will be dead…

>> Has anyone a solution or idea ? Or should I go back to OSX 1.6.8 which was really working well with max/msp 4.6….

>I’ve heard several times that 10.6.8 is, like, among the most stables and suited for audio and not annoying for many reasons, unlike in more recent osx. However, i’m not sure i’d recommend going back to it, since downgrading a mac os is far from an easy operation.

I will have to format, I guess that’s what I am going to do for now and may try to make a new patch when I have more time… Good thing is that I just bought a SSD and the speed of writing and reading is really amazing. So a bit less pain in the ass to install everything again.

Allow me to ask yours (or anyone) opinion but I have this strange feeling that max6 is going “mainstream” with the GUI (it start to look like reaktor or even ableton) instead of focusing on the sound itself. Somehow I can understand why the developers want to go in this direction, but I feel like I’ve been cheated. I mean, my first interest in max/msp was that you don’t need a super big computer with a too powerful CPU to run it, but now even with a quite honest hardware it is not fluid, I use a lot of the WAVEFORM~, so that is why I feel sad. So do you think max6 is a real improvement regarding max4 or not so much ? (talking about the sound itself)

A last point that seems a “problem” : the help (for instance the WAVEFORM~) is less complete in the 6 than the 4… Of course you still can found the information but with more clicks… too bad that feature was also a great thing.

Oh gosh I sound like my grandpa : it was better in the past :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.