Max 6 'Little Things' – Hopes

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:56pm

Max 6 'Little Things' – Hopes

Little things I really hope are in Max 6:

- A coll object where the @embed attribute works when typed in the object box.
- An object palette that is slightly less sluggish when going from a category back to ‘All’.
- A textbutton object with a ‘bang on mouseup’ AND ‘bang on mousedown’ outlet, not just one or the other.
- Patch cords that ‘snap’ to existing cords.
- A menu option to resize/reposition a selected object in patching mode to its size/position in presentation mode, and vice versa.
- A sprintf object where each inlet is assignable hot/cold.
- An object with a variable number of inlets to join lists together (like zl join).
- Inlets that flash/blink when they receive a message and outlets that flash/blink when they send a message.
- Patchcords that flash/blink when data passes through them. (Both these last two options should be switchable).

All I can think of for now, though I’m sure there are more. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:42am

Great ideas!
I’d also like the ability to save a vst’s state in a patcher. Having to save and load a .fxp is annoying.

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:58am

I kind of want the opposite of your snappy patchcord idea – When I auto-align patchcords, I’d love it if patchcords WOULDN’T lay on top of each other until the very last moment, as they do now. For instance, instead of:

Patch cords that lay atop one another, even though they originate and end at different outlets.

This:
Patch cords that know they’re not coming from or going to the same place, and leave space accordingly for easy readability.

The first being the way auto-align works now, and the bottom being after a little cleanup by hand – which was easy enough in a simple flow like this, but annoying as hell in complex patches.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:51am

Yes, patchcord “bundles” or “ties” are a good idea. They could have three states, just like edit run and presentation. Drawn (user defined), arranged (like they currently are), then bundled (stacked on each other in a single line).

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:06am

dont forget to add “bauhaus” and freestyle”

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:35am

I’d just add three little little wishes:

- a [line] which accepts the extended “ej.line”-syntax (exactly how [line~] does…) – there should be no need of an external library abstraction for such a basic task…

- an interface way (Cmd+click?) to erase a single preset content (like sending the message “clear 2″).

- a preset which contains an automatic labeling system, so you can store a preset *with* a name, and the name is shown at the mouseover, before recalling. That would be precious.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:56am

@MuShoo

I think patch cord organisation is one of those things that depends on the context. For complex data flows, I always follow the rule of only aligning cords that are related (all sending to one place or all originating from one place). However due to my innate OCD and desire for neatness, I spend far too much time lining up everything perfectly. I don’t generally use the align command because I can’t control where the aligned patchcords end up.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:42pm

@danieleghisi:
“- an interface way (Cmd+click?) to erase a single preset content (like sending the message “clear 2″)” exists already :
On Win it is alt+shift+click on Mac I assume it will be option+shift+click

jan.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:49pm

Oh ja – and for the patch-cords: maybe a Miró-patching style function

[attachment=166432,2440]

Attachments:
  1. nocturne.jpg
Jul 14, 2011 at 5:52pm

- A shortcut key to “Open Original”.
- An option to un-route patch cords, making them go directly from out to in (diagonal, if you will).
- An option to highlight all patch cords and other objects that are connected to the selected object.
- Inclusion of the features of ej.function and sa.function into the regular function.
- The ability to assign your own svg files to interface objects.
- A tree-view object or multi-line umenu.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:05pm

- a reliable and versatile timeline ;
- an option to write text vertically (for comments) ;
- an object to report global CPU consumption from Max-Jitter-MSP and not only from MSP as “adstatus cpu” does ;
- a merging between poly~ and bpatcher allowing one to use the “dynamic “poly~” feature and change the related user interface simultaneously ;
- a winning lottery numbers generator ;

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:34pm

+1 to all of your suggestions Roald. Especially the last one.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:21pm

I would like more round corners. The corners in Max5 were not rounded enough. I want it to look like an egg. Square corners hurt my fragile little mind. They also scare away my HelloKitty cat whom I need to do all my patching for me. If not this, then please at least keep the corners as rounded as they are and HelloKitty has promised to muster up the courage and conduct herself in a manner keeping with contemporary moorings.

I also have a request for Max10, or MaxX as it will probably be known, please make it so that a patcher has depth as well as width and height, allowing for me to patch my objects in a 3-dimensional space, and let me use all selected patch chords as a path for the camera in that 3D space so I can ride through my patch like a rollercoaster.

And also, Cycling74 should make their first bicycle already.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:51pm

eggcellent

[attachment=166462,2442]

Attachments:
  1. egglet.jpg
Jul 14, 2011 at 10:04pm

in germany, the upper object would be spelled ceicle
(ei = egg)

fully rounded corners in 3d

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:05pm

I want max 6 to take away my max patching gut.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:12pm

@raja
Yes please:
“I also have a request for Max10, or MaxX as it will probably be known, please make it so that a patcher has depth as well as width and height, allowing for me to patch my objects in a 3-dimensional space, and let me use all selected patch chords as a path for the camera in that 3D space so I can ride through my patch like a rollercoaster”.

using Johnny Chung Lee’s work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

although, with 9.3million views, you’ve probably already seen it.

Brendan

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:16pm

…and make them Monster patch chords or I’m not using it.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:16pm

“use all selected patch chords as a path for the camera in that 3D space so I can ride through my patch like a rollercoaster”

:D

The new curved patch cords will come in handy for that. Clearly they’re planning well ahead.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:21pm

Paste replace available in javascript, pretty please!

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:25pm

I actually have a real one.

If I’m pasting text into a max box, make sure the first characters are NOT “{ boxes”. If the first characters ARE “{ boxes” just replace the box with the patch in the clip board. I never want to see anything like the included patch again.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

that and find/replace.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:42pm

and what about this fella? I think he should get a ride on one of the new patch cords too!!

[attachment=166478,2443]

Attachments:
  1. pakman.png
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:44pm

how to remove a wrongly attached file? here's the right one:

[attachment=166479,2445]

Attachments:
  1. pakman.png
Jul 15, 2011 at 1:10am

I mentioned it in another post but i’d love to have scrollwheel zooming. Also related to different screen sizes and failing eyes I wish I could zoom or change the font size in the documentation.

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:35am

Documentation in Russian

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:02am

I also have a request for Max10, or MaxX as it will probably be known, please make it so that a patcher has depth as well as width and height, allowing for me to patch my objects in a 3-dimensional space, and let me use all selected patch chords as a path for the camera in that 3D space so I can ride through my patch like a rollercoaster.

Is it weird that I really, really want this feature, now?

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:05am

Oooh, along the lines of different screensizes… I’d love to have some sort of system for presentation mode that allows me to define stretchy-spacers, or stretchy objects. IE, if I/my user resizes the window containing a patch in presentation mode, certain objects resize to fit, other objects space apart more, etc.

Resize a patch window to change the size of a [waveform~] contained within said window? Gimme gimme gimme.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:40am

MuShoo “stretchy spacers”

You can do this already by replacing the scroll bar, grow box and title bar with max widgets. I have it working now

(yes, I’m aware I need to get a life…) :-)

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:55pm

“Is it weird that I really, really want this feature, now?”

No, what’s weird is that my boss has been wanting this feature for the last 5 years…

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:08pm

///
AudioMatt said:

“You can do this already by replacing the scroll bar, grow box and title bar with max widgets. I have it working now”
///

Care to share? :) What’s a max widget?

(I guess the simplicity of this forum is trendy and all, but a quote button would improve conversations a lot … just a [QUOTE="name""link to post"] blaaaaa [/QUOTE] … come on, please?)

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:12pm

@danieleghisi: “- a preset which contains an automatic labeling system, so you can store a preset *with* a name, and the name is shown at the mouseover, before recalling. That would be precious.”

Something similar to this was added in the latest 5.1.8 update. From the changelog:

“preset now displays slotnames when linked to a pattrstorage”

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:44pm

I just figured all this out because I had to integrate window functions into my program. so I can’t give you any code because it’s all locked up in my application. it can all be done in max, the growbox is an LCD, the draggable top is an LCD, the scroll bars are a BPatcher, and the close box is just a button with wclose connected to it. The memory for the window locations is a bit wonky.

But heres a demo (It’s possible!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NmfgLVDgs

also I think some of the functionality is in the attached collection of quick and dirty abstractions.

Attachments:
  1. V0002.zip
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:49pm

@Dan Nigrin
Thanks, I overlooked it. Yet I don’t really want to link it to a pattrstorage, but just a simple preset, with some names :) For the record, obviously one can build such a system oneself; but it would be handy to have it “clean” in the object (with a text edit field under the buttons?)

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:53pm

@danieleghisi: I don’t disagree!

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:33pm

‘Screensets’ – a la Logic.
That is, arrange various windows on screen with individual zooms etc, hit ‘define key’ -use same keystroke/whatever for recall
Great for performance.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:25am

I’ve been doing a lot more UI stuff with max and I would love the be able to rotate all the UI stuff to any angle…

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:07pm

Hello!

- New object (collZ) – An object like coll, but not to substitute coll, that is capable to store several layers of data, like pages in a book, and the possibility to “add” data to a specific index (3, 5, 2) without to write zeros before reaching the 3 position!

- New function – Get data from the mouse like every software in the world! The mouse has two buttons and an scroll wheel at minimum!

- New function – Use Ctrl+mouseWheel to zoom in and out!

- New something – The ability to create “zones” in presentation mode that allow us to re-size, open and close parts of the UI in presentation mode. BTW – The ability to create an master layout, and then, drag and drop to that layout, and in real time, the “zones” we need to see or use. (the master layout is re-sizable on the fly)

- Play more codecs than QT WAV or AIF! there are many more (btw why don’t use VLC system to work with video?… it seams much more efficient)

- hope to play an 1080p video without glitches or dropped frames (bye bye jitter!)

- Bang at frame option, from an preloaded list of numbers, to get the position of an video clip… or other thing like: (at frame 500 jump to 4200)… if wee can preload an list of these “commands” would be great!(and update the list without having to stop the video)

… that’s all for now!

Thanks for reading and considering!

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:23pm

Hello again!

- SDK on blackBox – An “empty” object where we can write the C code directly!

… that’s all for now!

Thanks for reading and considering!

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:04pm

A “no need to freez attr when closing patcher” or an auto freeze would be nice!

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:23pm

My hopes for Max 6

For Jitter users:
We need an Object to play movies without stuttering.
A replacement for the jit.qt.movie would be nice.
Case:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=30899

The possibility to set an relative seachpath for our subpatcher.
Case:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=34056

Thanks for reading

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:34pm

@rui caldas
- New object (collZ) - An object like coll, but not to substitute coll, that is capable to store several layers of data, like pages in a book, and the possibility to "add" data to a specific index (3, 5, 2) without to write zeros before reaching the 3 position!

That’s already there – what you describe is exactly what the SQLight database does. And it’s quite a bis faster in performance than a coll.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:05pm

Resizable text in the Documentation (my eyes!)
+1 for vertical comments and raise you vertical tabs (i.e. tabs you can put at the side)
cheers
Roger

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:27pm

Oooh, ooh, radio buttons that are more definable. I can write my own with toggles and some logic, but it’s sort of a pain in the ass. Also, let me resize them, please. And make rows/columns. And make them fit more with all the other max 5 concepts.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:08pm

Only a tiny, little thing… How about Gstreamer support! Oh and while you’re at it, the ability to run on Ubuntu too lol.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:31am

MuShoo isn’t that a [matrixctrl] with the “one/column” attribute activated? y
You can load in a custom image too.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:52am

Luke, thanks! I seriously never noticed the ‘Only one non zero per row/column/matrix’ option. However, I’m not a huge fan of image-based interfaces, as they don’t resize nicely, and if I ever end up needing to resize my interface for some reason, it involves a lot of rigamarole in photoshop and the like.

So, i’ll replace my suggestion with a new one! Let me use vector art (eps?) as images for things like Pictctrl, matrixctrl, etc. With a nice antialiasing (or definable!) scaling algorithm.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:30am

You can also use [tab] and just have a period . in each tab, then make transparent text, and shrink/round the edges. It can look just like a radio button series, can be made horiz/vert., and has one-per-row/column built-in, plus hover!

One thought on [preset] as discussed before, it might be nice to have it “recall-able but not store-able”, with a checkbox in Inspector like “allow storage”, on by default. This way users could try all your carefully-planned default settings, but not save new ones over them. Instead, they could have their own group to mess with. Just a thought, I also like the popup preset name, but that might be tricky with the Inspector, and the name slots for editing. If you had a “preset number being hovered over” outlet, you could easily roll your own hint system with a [umenu], maybe that’s the way to go.

Anyway, way too much to think about, but all exciting! Can’t wait to hear more about all the features, and the code-generation sounds amazing. Would love to be able to make even relatively simple Max processes and have them portable to Arduino or other environments, would that be possible without much tweaking?

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:05am

@seejayjames

Here joshua is giving some more information about the code generating [gen~] object.

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=34277&replies=49#post-166480

It seems that the code generation is a new approach in graphical programming which is technically closer to low level-programming and therefore allow operation that cannot be done withing MSP. For the ‘patching’ inside the gen~ there will be new/special elements or objects available.

If I understand it right the code generation is targeting to bridge the gap between classical ‘patching’ and writing externals in C.

So I don’t think that it will be something where one can use a max-patch to generate code for other processors.

j.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:09am

unlocked background color bug
find/replace

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:16am

My big wish would be to extend the send/receive double-click popup menu thing to *all* objects that send/receive cordless data. The MSP versions send~/receive~, of course, but also pattr and pvar obects. Ideally, js and mxj objects that remote control would also come into this (may be trickier to implement, but still…)

Tracking down cordless connections can be a real pain.

Commands to force Max to reload externals and to re-parse the jsextensions library without restarting Max would also be a welcome addition.

– P.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:33am

Peter Castine wrote:
My big wish would be to extend the send/receive double-click popup menu thing to *all* objects that send/receive cordless data.

+1 for that request. Don’t forget to include the forward object (a send with dynamic destination) in that list.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:42pm

hi,
my big wish: a preset function for the “file path” preferences.

I have different setups.
and too many file paths needs longer re:starting time after crashing in a live situation [in MAX for LIVE].

thanks,
bd

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:53pm

Multitouch multitouch multitouch multitouch!!!

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:02pm

Have I me-too’ed on multi-touch already? May I do so again?

There is some work on standardizing multi-touch gestures, and I am pleased to note that it goes beyond dual touch (a number of touchscreen manufacturers like to stamp “multi-touch” on their hardware when it can only handle two touch points, which is disappointing in a post-Pierre Wellner world.)

That said, we will break out the champagne if Max6 even supports dual touch. It would be a big step forward. Although I won’t stop kvetching until we’re at 20 or more touch points. And DDZ loves it when I kvetch.-)

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:45pm

Hello again!

- when we have an trigger object connected, like [t b 1], and the “1″ goes to a lots of other objects, and then we decide to add a new step in the middle, like: [t b dump 1], we have to reconnect all the patch cords because they disappear! I hope in MAX6 the trigger object remembers the “thing” associated with the patch cords, and if we add something in the middle or before, the patch cords are moved to the correct position automatically!

Sorry my bad English!

Thanks for reading and considering.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:02am

+1 for the “intelligent” trigger as described by Rui.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:30am

Oh, oh. Can we please, PLEASE, have the ability to drop arbitrary files onto a standalone’s icon (and then pass the path to wherever is needed) again? It used to exist but does not work anymore, and was never documented. As an addendum to that, an attribute for [standalone] that defines what filetypes are ‘droppable.’

Also, make it so that, by default, standalones on OSX aren’t associated with .maxpatch files, so that when I double click a max file it no longer opens in a random standalone app that can’t do anything with it.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:58am

+1 for the “intelligent” trigger as described by Rui.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:16pm

Finally i’ve got something!

I’d really, really like patchers to automatically “save as” in their own directory. For example-

if you have patch [a] stored in directory A and you save a new patch [b] in directory B. When you open patch [a] and “save as” it will try to save in directory B.

After typing this down it’s actually seems quite trivial but it can be annoying sometimes. Working in several directories it tends to get chaotic. But then again it’s also seems quite trivial too solve this (i guess?)

FRid

+1 for the gstreamer-support, don’t know how “alive” the project is but it has a lot of potential and is already very powerfull.

and/or mjpeg-support would also be very much appreciated.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:24pm

I’d love to see a mouseover mode for hint that outputs a 0/1 when activated… (with the ability to disable showing the hint)

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:07pm

Also, it’d be nice if thispoly~ could report on the up/down sampling state (report it’s current sr?) and vecsize.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:30pm

Oh hey, I’ll bring this up again (it’s a perennial favorite!) – Autosave/auto back up? I might have been dreaming, but I vaguely recall a new ‘project’ system for max files is being implemented. I also vaguely recall one of the worries about an auto backup system being where to store backups of subpatchers such that they still work, etc.

Maybe this is a moot thing, with Lion and it’s Resume/AutoSave functions? I don’t know if those are things that have to be explicitly coded into a program, or if they’re a system level thing that is active for all programs. (Opt-in vs opt-out).

And of course, the flame-war/trollfest starter of: Y U NO LET ME ENCRYPT/COPY/PROTECT/BE MILLIONAIRE?

This thread is fun :D

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:13am

I’m thrilled. Go Max 6. Can’t wait!
Some minor annoyances that I hope will make it in the transition:
Not sure if widespread, but when choosing a bpatcher file via the inspector on windows, the default filetype is not .maxpat so my max directories seem empty.
Empty bpatchers could support drag and drop of maxpat or even better the canvas could support the drag and drop of maxpat and create the bpatcher.

Also when right clicking on a .maxpat on choosing ‘open with…’ the two options (max and max runtime) have the same name. Kinda confusing.

And +1 for RUI’s suggestion.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:57am

+1 for hugobox, the same name for Max and Max runtime when you use “Open With”, that’s a pain. Don’t know if it’s possible, but having it always open in full Max if it’s installed would be good. Maybe that’s an OS thing we have to set though.

I could certainly be wrong but I don’t imagine the “intelligent trigger” would be possible, or maybe be a positive thing, because there’s no way trigger could know what the new arguments are and match them to the old ones, really—what if the new arg is “blip” instead of a 1, that would break things. I’ve run into the trigger problem too, with “need to add it later because of not covering all the bases” lack-of-planning :) and really, you can always just take the appropriate one and run it through another trigger if you have a ton of cords you don’t want to re-attach.

A message to [thispatcher] that could toggle on and off ALL the “embedded” hints (those made in the Inspector rather than using the hint object itself), now that would be great, and would save tons of messages and cords if you want to disable/enable.

Inlets and outlets, they auto-comment themselves with the inlet/outlet number, or maybe this is there already, I remember talking about it awhile back. So it’s easy to match up when you have lots of inlets and outlets and haven’t bothered to comment them, as we can be just that lazy…

For encryption, I think it’s all about 3rd-party solutions. Here’s one I found that’s specifically for Max 5 on Windows, which is the first one I’ve seen specifically for Max (note I have no experience with it):

http://www.excelsoftware.com/max5.html

Looks like MacOS has an advantage here, as the .app can be protected as a bundle (including the .mxf), whereas in Windows the .mxf is separate from the .exe, so you need to bundle and encrypt.

We’ve been down this discussion road before, so I’m not sure why I’m fanning any flames, but I thought it was interesting that there was a Max-5-specific solution out there. Anyway, enough of that from me!

I’m sure there’s lots more as we hash this out…but regardless, the new things that have already been promised are amazing. I didn’t think there could be such a huge advancement so soon after Max 5, that was such a giant leap forward in itself… go C74!

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:24am

From seejayjames:

“I could certainly be wrong but I don’t imagine the “intelligent trigger” would be possible, or maybe be a positive thing, because there’s no way trigger could know what the new arguments are and match them to the old ones, really—what if the new arg is “blip” instead of a 1, that would break things. I’ve run into the trigger problem too, with “need to add it later because of not covering all the bases” lack-of-planning :) and really, you can always just take the appropriate one and run it through another trigger if you have a ton of cords you don’t want to re-attach.”

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with you!
In the moment that you “click” on the box for editing, the “cursor” IS on the place where you going to write something, so if it’s before the last “thing”, the cords connected to the last outlet should maintain connected to the last outlet after the new ones appear. Maybe will be cases were that function will not be possible, like change the [t] object by an [random], or changing from an [t 1 2 3 4] to an [t 2 1], because the last two disappear completely, but that is an extreme change. What I was saying is a little help on simple changes not an super-hiper-mega-intelegent T object!

… it could be: [t i want an patch to control my car], and the max does all the rest!

regarding the “lack-of-planning”
It’s not that case! I don’t spent hours of planing on paper, at the coffee for example, to make the patch at the first time! I use the max to test the concepts and to “work in progress”. Normally, I start the patching directly in Max, and when the things are working, even with lots of bugs and errors, I re-start the patching, from zero… and the process repeats until the final patch is completely unbuged! this allow me to understand better the needs of the patch… that’s my way, and probably, the way of many others!

Sorry if I sound arrogant, but in written text it’s difficult to express an joke tone!

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:18pm

hehe, no worries. Interesting to think about. What I’m wondering (and not just about trigger) but when you click and have a cursor in the object for editing, the object is still active as the original until you click outside or hit Enter and set the new object name and arguments. So, really, I don’t know how much the new object would “remember” about the old one, or if it’s possible at all. Anyway.

And the “lack of planning”, heh, the quotes are definitely to show tongue-in-cheek. It just like you described—patching along, prototyping, drafting, maybe knowing “pretty much” where you want to get to, and “most” of what you need to do to get there…but…there are always things which come up to work around, other features that suddenly would be cool to have, different ways to do something more efficiently, etc… so yes, your original trigger will likely need some more outlets! Been there countless times, as I’m sure we all have. I think that if your patch goes 100% smoothly and quickly, that’s great that you got it done so easily, but where’s the challenge?? :)

@Hugobox: Looks like you can drop a .maxpat on the Max window and get a patch to open, but not an empty canvas. Don’t know if there’s a way to do it on an empty patch, or to make it a bpatcher.

Love the thread!

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:36pm

Here’s a thought, that might be more easily implemented than the Intelligent trigger thing –

What about a ‘move patchcords’ hotkey/modifier? Say I select a bunch of patch cords, by option dragging. Now, I hold command+option+control (or some other modifier) and double click an inlet/outlet. All my currently selected patch cables move their beginning or their end to the inlet/outlet I just selected.

This has the benefit of A) not trying to be intelligent (intelligence like Rui’s can backfire, it’s nearly impossible to judge every usage scenario), and B) being useful in situations where you haven’t changed the object at all, but want to move chords around en masse. C), How would you handle an undo with the intelligent trigger patching? Would undo move the cables back AND change the object back? Just change the object? Just the cables? This separates it into two commands, keeping the user in control and keeping the patch’s history easily parsed.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:36pm

Nice MuShoo! .. why I don’t think in that!?

cbm
Jul 22, 2011 at 11:02pm

The problem I see with the ‘move patchcords’ modifier is that you wouldn’t be able to add outlets freely. The type of message is checked, and you can’t hook up some types of outlets to some type of inlet. I guess you could make a new trigger object with the outlets you want, then use a hypothetical ‘move patchcords’ to move them to the new object.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:54pm

I guess the MAX could paint in red the cords that doesn’t fit the parameters, and then, the user can easily find the problem!

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:48am

Probably a bit late since it’s been anounced, but I’d love on option to have versions saved automatically… As in, you could have some kind of development mode where it saves changes every half hour or so, so you could return to the way things were if if you accidentally save over them. Doesn’t happen to me often, but when it does it’s annoying!

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:45am

One other thing related to sight. The ability to set default zoom size. I work on Max on a 15″, 23″ and 27″ screen so it can be really quite difficult to see sometimes. A default zoom size would be good. When working on M4L I open Max and it is tiny so I zoom in, I have to do this everytime I close and open the patch. Also if I am working on a zoomed patch then the default zoom setting should apply to all windows I open. Like if I open a patcher it is back to a zoom factor of 1 and I have to rezoom and if I close the patcher it forgets my settings and I have to do it again… this is of course also true with all the help patches also. Also the writing can be very small in live.menus even if you increase the size of Ableton. It just means I am constantly fiddling with the zoom or squinting . So those 3 things :)

Default Zoom Settings
Scrollwheel Zoom
Resizable Documents

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:12am

case:

[sflist~ sounds]

- preload 2 c:drum11.wav

and

- preload 3 c:drum21.wav

On this situation only the 1.wav from the drum1 folder will play. If I sent an (2) to the sfplay~ it will play the correct file, but if I send an (3), the sfplay plays the file from the drum1 folder… but the address refer to the file on the drum2 folder.

So, I hope Max6 support the identification of the folder when preloading the files, and preload sound files with the same name but in different folders!

thanks

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:50am

… that our beloved cyclingElves decide to get rid of that ilok-PITA

HALLELUJA !

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:10am

Please, improve the jit.qt.movie object. It is appalling that you cannot playback movies properly.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:06pm

Thinksamuel: what do you mean by properly? You are going to have to be more specific, jit.qt.movie works just fine for most of my purposes.

The only thing I don’t like is how spigot works. It makes me crazy that there’s not a more eloquent solution than having to wait until the audio file exports in the background before you can use a movies audio in MSP.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:49pm

My requests:

1. Multichannel outlets and inlets. (see artist's conception below…)

2. Fix the drawing in the biquad~ help. (The feedback coefficients should have negative signs in front of them).

3. Stop calling the Shelf Slope “Q” in the filtergraph~ object.

cheers
-geoff

[attachment=168033,2504]

Attachments:
  1. multichannelinlets.jpg
Aug 3, 2011 at 2:56am

Will readback & rasterization technics will correctly work in Max6 ?
It is really painful and unstable in complex patches and seems to me really essential.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:01am

Many years ago (early 90s) I implemented an iconic programming environment that was partially inspired by Max although inlets and outlets were on the left and right rather than top and bottom for tech reasons that are not relevant here.

However, after much experimentation with “writing” programs with it, I made three design differences that I found to be an improvement over the Max model in terms of readability and having a few less errors from layout mistakes.

It’s not clear to me that the Max community would be interested (or whether it’s even feasible) but given that everyone is making suggestions, I figured I might as well throw these out

1) control execution order based on relative angles of connections rather than just horizontal position. In Max terms, that would mean that one first do a sweep counterclockwise from 0 to 180 (or 179.999) and then doing a sweep clockwise from 0 to 180. I found that it’s much easier to see in what order objects will be triggered this way
2) allow inlets to be toggles so that inlets other than the leftmost one can trigger object execution upon receipt of data. It’s a heck of a lot easier to use – and / when you need a change in the Right hand operand to trigger execution
3) use different colors for inlets that trigger the object.. I used red for triggerable inlets and green for inlets that just stored incoming values. The patch connections were also colored the same as the inlet to which they were connected
4) even though I used the same depth-first execution model, I discovered that if an outlet was connected to green (non-triggers) inlets of multiple objects, it was very effective to populate all green inlets before triggering any objects. So basically, I repeated the sweeps described above twice, the first time filling in green inlets and then sweeping again for red ports. This eliminated certain race conditions if objects at different levels in the execution tree were connected to the same object somewhere else.

I’d include some pictures but I’m writing this from my ipad so not practical. Happy to go into more detail if there’s any interest. I don’t think this proposal breaks anything other than an impact on ordering which is easily adjusted and has the other benefits described here.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:45am

Look at this!

Why the red patch cord loses the alignment? and change the color? I hope Max6 solve this!

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:45am

Would be great to be able to change the shape of Bpatcher. Sometimes I don’t want my Gui to just be rectangular blocks.

If you could draw the shape – perhaps with something like the Photoshop selection tools.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:44pm

+ 1 for proper playback of moives with jit.qt.movie
even smal movies stutter.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:01pm

Max-web-runtime? Or something similar like processing.js or vvvvjs would really, really, really be cool.

FRid

Here’s the 30min.-autosave btw.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:02pm

It would be great, if we can get rid of the “symbol” prefix,
if a coll outputs a single symbol.

I know we can use [route symbol] or [filter symbol],
but it a bit awkward ….

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:13pm

well… not so little!

+1 for FRid …

A new object called [webui], where you put an patch inside, like [p] object, and have all the inlets and outlets and everything, but usable trough any web browser, from lan or internet.. and with presentation mode also!

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:26pm

- make the help patch for objects wiki/community based, so we can make them better, add examples, etc.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:06am

+1 for Yair’s suggestion, this would be a big step forward.

I’d also love to see integration with a source control system like svn or git.

Aug 22, 2011 at 3:44am

This thread is getting really long so excuse me if someone already mentioned something like this, but I would love to be able to right-click on a patch cord and insert a new blank object box at that location that had inlet 1 connected to where the original patch cord started and outlet 1 connected to where the original patch cord ended and the cursor in the box, ready for me to type the object’s name. That would save me lots of mousing around.

I know you can do something like this for replacing an object, but getting the object in there is what takes all the extra mouse/key strokes.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36am

Yes, I’d love that too….particurlRy useful for debugging….ability to just throw an int box into the middle of a connection. In such caes, it should also be possible to delete an object and have the original connection be restored

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:42am

some people were talking about a trigger object that remembered which patch cords were fed from which argument and moved them accordingly. Since we are brainstorming, I’d say what trigger really needs is little + buttons between the arguments that show up when you hover over it. Clicking on one could shift all arguments to the right of it over by one space and all connected patch cords over by one space also, creating a new event/outlet where the + button was – either with the cursor there to type it in, or even just a “b” or “l” inserted would be good enough.

I know this is fanciful, because it means special patching GUI treatment for an otherwise ‘normal’ object. But it is an oft used one (as further evidenced by its single letter abbreviation).

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:06pm

A really small wish : border size and color for bpatcher!
So that I won’t have to add a panel in it everytime, and care about its size, etc.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:39pm

Ok i add mine to if what i would like to do is not feasible!

I have a poly with seven instances and i had to organize priority inside the client window.
So i had to copy 7 times 55 parameters priority number in the clientwindow.
Is there a way to make a (row copy paste) inside the storagewindow and the clientwindow?

And if jit.gl.( shader , slab ) will still exist could we have a bang once it’s loaded?!

However…Thank you for 64bit,gen~ and the whole stuff which is coming with Max6
cheers
Hubert

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.