Forums > MaxMSP

Max 6: Patches won't be saved in specified location

July 29, 2012 | 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I’m having issues saving my patches on Max 6. The patches or projects are being saved, but not where I’m telling Max to do it. This is happening every time I save a new patch/project, and sometimes saving an existing patch.
Usually the patches ended up being saved in Applications –> Max 6 folder (mac).
I made sure that the folder in which I want my patches to be saved is a declared path under "File Preferences".

Is someone having the same problem?

Thanks,

Carlos

February 27, 2013 | 11:16 am

Hi Carlos,

I’m having this problem now! Did you ever manage to sort it?

February 27, 2013 | 9:51 pm

You need to provide an absolute path. Not by changing file preferences.

e.g. write /my/folder/filename.txt to put the file filename.txt in the folder /my/folder

February 27, 2013 | 10:07 pm

Sorry I see that you’re referring to patches. You’ll need to post a much clearer description of what you’re experiencing and expecting. Step by step.

April 12, 2013 | 2:01 am

I’m having the same problem. It also won’t let me set the default project save folders to the folder i want – which is a folder within My Documents. I’m wondering if the two are related. It seems everything sames in an msp tutorial patch folder, which is the first place I accidentally saved something. When I move patches out of that folder, it just moves an "alias" unless I trick it by sending it to the trash then moving it back to a different folder from there.

The problem that is most frustrating, which I also assume is related, is that I can’t access saved patches as new objects, and even copying and pasting them from another file they come up as a grey box instead of white, can’t be accessed, and don’t do anything. I created a new patches folder and set it to that in Max, but it doesn’t seem to be recognizing that folder. I’m on OS X 10.8.2, a retina MacBook pro. I’m very new to Max. Thanks for your help!

June 14, 2013 | 12:22 am

A perfect description of the problem, I’m handling right now! did anybody found a solution and can share the answer here?

Thanks for your help!

June 14, 2013 | 12:50 am

Never happened to me with 10.8.2 or .3. Are you talking about patches or projects ? This still isn’t clear to me.

June 15, 2013 | 1:50 am

ah, thanks for the hint "project folder". using them – what make sense – solve this problem! I’m quite new to max and did’t know how files are organized.

February 13, 2014 | 5:54 pm

has anyone found the solution to this? I’m having the same issue

February 28, 2014 | 12:47 pm

Also waiting for an answer! It’s quite confusing.

June 3, 2014 | 12:21 pm

I am having the same problem. I’ve been using max for 6 months bug-free, but when i installed max on a new SSD this problem began happening right away. I’m not concerned about a default save location, I’m concerned with Save/SaveAs->Selecting a location->saving->My patch is now the name i chose through saving->but it’s not located in the directory i chose, it is in SSD/Applications/Max6/"filename".maxpat, which I assume is the default directory.

I have a lot of very different projects, I want to be able to organize them my way, not have them all lumped into the default folder. Can someone please offer a solution to this problem?

Thank you very much!

Michael

June 3, 2014 | 1:04 pm

AHA! Well, I solved my problem, at least. The folder I was trying to save to was called "MAX/MSP" The "/" was the culprit. So I guess that Max is rather smart in that it automatically reroutes the file to a default folder in case it cannot save to an invalid directory. At the very least this, helps from someone losing their work, I guess.

I hope this helps you guys out!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)