Max 6 Project Feature Documentation?

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:39am

Max 6 Project Feature Documentation?

Am I missing this somewhere? I’ve been hunting around, and the best I can find are 2 very non-comprehensive ‘vignettes.’ I’d love to know more detail about what all that stuff is. Can anyone point me to what I must be missing?

Thanks,
Brian

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:10pm

Uhm, whats wrong with “Welcome to Max” help?
“Whats new in max”?

I have that stuff in “help”, I’m not sure what you are after.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:48pm

I have some info there, but not what I would call full documentation. If you look at all the various features in the project window (and the right-click contextual menu of a file in it) there many items that are not explained operationally anywhere I could find– Open actions? How does Max handle the potential complications from having global and local versions of all files? I spent some time with a couple of these things and didn’t always get what I was thinking I would, if they are supposedly self-explanatory. Even Refresh Project list didn’t do what I was expecting when I used it. Since they did such a great job improving documentation and usability, I’d be confused if a useful new feature like this isn’t documented…

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:43am

Open actions is in need of some serious explaining indeed.
After pressing the snapshot button, Max gave me a brandnew maxzip file. Very cool.
I don’t even dare to touch the consolidate button.
I’d like to see some documentation for the project features too.

May 18, 2012 at 2:06pm

+1 about the lack of doc
I hope it will come :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:11pm

+1 on some info on stuff.

My main patch is getting super crazy (up to 75 files at the moment) so I think it’s time to just into the projects paradigm but I can’t really figure out how to work this.

The first thing is that my externals didn’t show up right (showed up as “(implicit)” but the text was red). Now it doesn’t show up red, but just says implicit. So what does implicit mean in this context, and what does red text mean?

The next is how does this work for sharing and cross platform usage. Like if I share the project from a mac computer, do the externals show up correctly for that OS?

The “no need to save” thing freaks me out. My current workflow is that as I work, I periodically fork off the main patcher and save that elsewhere, so if I break something, I can revert back to it. Is that what a ‘snapshot’ is? If that’s the case, is the snapshot the working document? How does the ‘auto’ saving work? Like if Max crashes (which seems to happen to me daily nowadays), what happens to my project? Does it save every 5minutes or something generic like that?

For performance/usage, do you open the main project file and perform from that, or is that just an organisational structure? Is there a way to make the project window not open up on startup? Is that what the open actions is about?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:12pm

Just opening my project and it’s spammed my max window with :

filewatcher_start: file [partconvolve~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [timeconvolve~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [descriptors~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [sigmund~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [descriptorsrt~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [entrymatcher.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [zeroconf.browser.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [zeroconf.resolve.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [randomvals.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist
filewatcher_start: file [voicedrive~.mxo] doesn’t appear to exist

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:14pm

consolidate check dependencies & copy them to the project folder I guess

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:36pm

This is after consolidation.

Opening the project it looks like the externals now show up as red text again.

So every time I add an external I need to manually add it to each project that uses it?
What happens for cross platform sharing where the externals are different?

Unrelatedly, is there a reason why the project version of the file opens like 10 times faster than opening the actual max patch? (closes very quickly too).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.