Forums > MaxMSP

Max 6 Sneak Peek: Usability

August 24, 2011 | 10:35 pm

We’re excited to share all sorts of things about Max 6, so we asked our developers to talk about some the things they are excited about. The first of these Sneak Peek videos is here:

http://cycling74.com/2011/08/24/sneak-peek-at-max-6-usability-features/

August 24, 2011 | 11:08 pm

We need to know if it will have multitouch support!! (^_^)

Amazing the video!!

August 25, 2011 | 5:49 am

I’m really impressed with what’s shown there. Those are some really good ideas! Bravo.

August 25, 2011 | 6:17 am

I like everything I saw :)

I have some wishes though

I would like to be able to check or uncheck a box in the inspector so that that particular object is or isnt taken into account when using preset (connecting to each and everything that you want disgarded can get quite cluttered)

And also – will it be bossible to use old style lines? (sometimes I want just straigt lines)

pid
August 25, 2011 | 9:28 am

jesus. more tantalising info on max6 and already the top three posts contain 2 complaints/wishlist bullshitters.

could we not please just bask in the amazingness that that video portrays without the yappy children calling for "i want i want"?!

alersito is currently the most annoying member of forum / comments posts with his constant whining about multitouch crap.

this video is fantastic. the new features look amazing. i look forward to the next sneak peeks. thanks.

August 25, 2011 | 9:43 am

…and relax.

I love how they’ve managed to combine the object list, autocomplete, reference and clue window into one feature. Bravo!

August 25, 2011 | 9:44 am

Yeah Pid – Company´s hate customer feedback – they are always complaining about that

take a xanax or smoke a doobie buddy

August 25, 2011 | 11:27 am

Its looks very nice – can’t wait to get my hands on :) Want to see more videos from Max 6 like the new code generation thing. Keep the good work!

August 25, 2011 | 11:55 am

Pid i can ask them all i want. VVVV has native multitouch support for example. Why cant Max Msp? VVVV is free Max Msp not. And i will buy the next version of MAx. Then why i cant ask something like this?

REspects

August 25, 2011 | 12:08 pm

Upss sorry edsonedge i put your name because i read your name. typical lapse.

sorry

Now my post its edited

August 25, 2011 | 2:13 pm

I like the curved lines, but I also would like them to be straight at times. Hopefully there’s options for both.

Multitouch support should definitely be in the works, considering where interfaces are going these days, and considering how much Max (out of ANY application) could benefit from it…the possibilities are amazing. +1 that it’s coming someday soon.

C74 has been fantastic about listening to user feedback and requests, they have implemented a ton of them over the years, and I applaud that. They’re the ones who eventually decide whether a given request is worth the work, and sometimes I imagine it’s far more work than it might seem to us, for technical reasons we don’t understand.

And look at all the amazing new features which none of us saw coming!

August 25, 2011 | 2:32 pm

I hope a other languages support for the help documentation. Spanish people are waiting for this.

August 25, 2011 | 4:26 pm

max 6 = spooge

cant wait for this. looks set to be the max we always wanted.
looking forward to the reference window with everything else to really dig deep into ALL the objects and not just the ones i use now.

well done cycling ’74.

lewis

August 25, 2011 | 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Usability and discoverability are a huge focus in Max 6, and these are really just a sample of what we have planned.

August 25, 2011 | 6:47 pm

What I see in this video seems to improves the ergonomics and the efficiency quite a lot when using Max and this is especially good for beginners – the teacher is writing.

Compatibility with multitouch would certainly be an interesting thing, but as multitouch is not deeply integrated neither in MacOS X and Windows, I think we’ll have to wait a bit for this. Maybe the next Apple thing will change this?

August 25, 2011 | 6:48 pm

Multitouch does not enhance universal accessibility or inclusivity.

There.

I said it.

August 25, 2011 | 6:54 pm

noob i have a multitouch screen with 2 touches and i would like to use with my own interface.

August 25, 2011 | 7:38 pm

Hello Alersito,

Thank you for your feedback, however, I would like to be clear on the subject of multi-touch. We appreciate that you and several other users would like to see multi-touch support in Max, but we will not be addressing multi-touch support in Max 6. We will evaluate this along with other priorities for future releases, but we won’t be promising a date or any specific feature set.

We have many different priorities to balance, and in our opinion, this is not as high a priority as other areas we have been focusing on, which we think are of greater importance to the Max community as a whole.

We also won’t be responding in the forums to repeated requests for this feature, or further discussion on the subject. In general we will not be discussing feature requests, as our feature set is decided upon, and we need to remain focused on it so that we can get this great update in your hands later this year (and not a year from now). Already, I’ve probably spent more time on this message than I would have liked ;)

Please keep the great ideas and feedback coming. We do listen attentively to this, even if we aren’t able to accommodate everyone’s needs. It’s also a good way to share interest with third party developers in the community who might have the time and interest in specific users’ needs that we don’t have the resources to focus on at the expense of what we view as more important development.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Joshua

August 25, 2011 | 8:36 pm

I’m really excited about Max 6. Great Sneak Peek, can’t wait to see more!!!

But I find it kind of sad that some people don’t appreciate the work that went in all the great new features. At least it looks this way when the first thing someone replies to a feature announcement is a feature request…

August 25, 2011 | 9:02 pm

Andrew Benson is the Steve Jobs of Cycling, he always has that good shit…

Love the t-shirt!

August 25, 2011 | 9:31 pm

I’m looking forward to MSP and Gen videos :)

August 25, 2011 | 9:46 pm

"I’m looking forward to MSP and Gen videos"

YES :D

The announcement of Gen has gotten me rather excitable.

August 25, 2011 | 10:43 pm

the complaining that some people have made reminds me of the time max 5 was announced and when it came out. sure there were thanks from very thankful users, but also many many MANY scornful remarks.
sadly these annoying remarks make it in first, and mostly for things that are not needed so much, or are not a top priority for the time being.

but i am totally looking forward to this next BIG step for max. and like max 5, it will have that windy start with some users, but will sure enough grab the masses the way cycling ’74 think it should. and for that, i respect. these guys know what there doing, just let them do it.

and a big ditto on the msp and gen shenanigans. sounds lush.

August 26, 2011 | 12:28 am

I guess I just wish multitouch support was a lot easier to implement, no doubt that’s a problem with how it is in the OS…which is too bad. Really, it should be easily accessible, but apparently not. That’s OK, it’s still a few years out when the majority of Mac/Windows machines will support it, so there’s time.

Just started assisting in a Max class…watching the students work through the Max 5 tutorials is really interesting. I keep thinking about how much they’re taking for granted as compared to Max 4. "When I was your age…" !! And now, the next generation~ will be raised on 6. That’s fantastic…the pedagogical elements for learning look amazing. I can’t wait to fill in the many gaps in my own knowledge about objects: messages, attributes, related objects…all the info is already there, but having quicker and smarter access to it makes all the difference.

August 26, 2011 | 5:00 am

As one of the first posters here I just want to assure the hissy fitters that I have nothing but respect for everything Cycling is doing – MaxMspJitter is my all time favorite program in the world and I would like to hug everyone who works on it individually, at the company and other external developers as well.

(fanboy enough for ya)

Kitty hug

MJ
August 26, 2011 | 8:11 am

hi

i dont know if it’s mentioned above.

In OSX Lion the save function is disappearing . Personaly i think its a bad idea.
Understand that you have to go with the herd . But it would be nice to have some general preferences where you could choose to get the old save function back.

Also it would be nice to have an option in preferences which prevents max to startup with all previous opened patches after a crash.

-mj

August 26, 2011 | 9:06 am

As a total noob Max 6 looks amazing. It’ll make things so much better, and easyer to understand. looking forward to it!

john.

August 26, 2011 | 1:28 pm

Will patches created in Max 6 be compatible with Max 5 and vice versa?

August 26, 2011 | 2:35 pm

@AntieJ yes, for the most part. We’re currently not disallowing opening Max 6 patchers in Max 5 but you’re likely to see a loss in functionality plus a few "no such object" errors, depending on the make up of the patch. Of course all Max 5 and Max 4 patchers will open fine in Max 6

-A

August 26, 2011 | 2:53 pm

Very interesting stuff, I particularly like the discoverability features.

I’m curious as to how well it works for someone who doesn’t already know about a feature. For example, while users probably know about oscillators and so typing "osc…." will get you a long way, how can users discover "borax", "drunk", anal(!), funbuff, uzi and so forth.

I realize that such names are cute but they’re mostly non-obvious if not deliberately obfuscated. I mean, I get the reason for the name ‘drunk’, but wouldn’t it be better to call it RandomWalk?

Even in cases where I knew what I wanted, it was hard to find the appropriate object because of the name (or even determine whether there even WAS such an object). At one point, I needed functionality to block repeated values but ‘change’ did not come to mind as a synonym. I think it’s ambitious to assume that users will all be great at synonym guessing.

Anyway, I’m thoroughly enjoying my rennaissance with Max and looking forward to future versions.

August 26, 2011 | 5:38 pm

Is it just me or does David Z. look alot like Iggy Pop here? :D

"I got a Lust for Life!"

August 26, 2011 | 5:52 pm

I think that the name thing is a double-edged sword. I contend that while an oddball name might be harder to learn, it is easier to remember, and perhaps easier to type. For example, once you know what uzi or borax are, and what they do, they’re easy to remember (I pick those because they’re names I came up with.)

My hope is that the cross-referencing gets significantly beefed up in Max6. The "see also" database is a great idea, but it’s never been all that comprehensive. It really needs more connections / relations. Uzi should be related to counter, for example.

August 26, 2011 | 5:57 pm

It’s not a question of learning. As you say, once you have found the object you’re fine. It’s finding them in the first place that’s tricky and some of that is due to the names.

Clearly multiple names can be used for objects, just like one can use ‘s’ or ‘send’ and so on and so it might be useful to have ‘meaningful’ names as well as the cute ones. However, I’m sure the Cycling74 people have thought about this so I was just curious to know if/how they have addressed it.

August 26, 2011 | 6:48 pm

Hi dhjdhjdhj,
This is one of the big reasons behind the new, smarter auto-complete/search system. Hopefully, this feature will allow you to find what you are looking for without having to dig through tutorials or consulting your secret decoder ring.

August 26, 2011 | 7:11 pm

There are max secret decoder rings!? WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME! Now I feel left out.

Slightly more seriously, that would be an awesome pre-order incentive.

August 26, 2011 | 10:55 pm

yes—they let you unlock secret new messages, objects, and features…like an Easter egg hunt!

ok, well, I don’t really have one…though I’m sure we could patch one with [regexp]

August 27, 2011 | 1:36 pm

As an educator, these new features are really great! The less time I need to spend teaching my students how Max works, and the more time I can spend teaching them DSP with Max, so much the better. (It’s a DSP class…)

Seriously, the documentation was good already, but this really improves things, especially the "what object does…" searching. I appreciate the emphasis on usability.

One question: with all the advanced search/find stuff, does find and replace in the patcher work? This would be great for demonstrations with multiple oscillators, etc.

August 27, 2011 | 4:42 pm

i would like a help in spanish…. would be possible?

August 27, 2011 | 8:04 pm

From what I can tell from the video, the new tools are amazing. My only remark is that there might be a widening gap between how much one can do with C objects as opposed to abstractions. Of course, I don’t know what Cycling ’74 has up their sleeves, but I would love to see similar tools for pattr-driven abstractions, and/or Java and JavaScript objects. I wonder whether that’s somethings the attrui (right spelling?) object David Z. mentioned will accomplish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)