Forums > MaxMSP

Max 6 vs MFL in Live 9, purchasing advice.

March 15, 2013 | 11:47 am

Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance. I’ve searched around and i’m unclear about the distinction between Max 6 and MFL with Live 9.

A bit of background:

I started programming in Max 3 during college. fell in love with it and kept on using it during my academic studies. I strayed away from music for a while, so never worked seriously in Max past Max 4. I’ve gotten back into the music scene in the past few years and discovered Live 8 and fell in love with that too.

I recently bought a new laptop and am looking for new software to purchase for it. Live 9 is high on my list, and Max 6 is also high on my list – but i’m uncertain whether I truly need both since it seems like a lot of functionality of Max 6 is present in MFL (of which i know absolutely nothing other than watching some demo videos).

The thread here from two years ago:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=27693

answers some of this, but I want some more detail and hopefully more guidance. I’m used to dealing with Max as a standalone application – creating my own UI and subpatchers within subpatchers that can react to a live performer without any direct interaction through score following or specific note cueing from coll lists that send out triggers with the send object. In my head, i see this potentially working in MFL as creating a MFL object somewhere (i don’t know where) that can do the same thing – act as the "hub" for me being able to send triggers to any MFL object that exists anywhere in my Live project.

First of all, that’s possible, yes? MFL objects can pass variables to each other in the same way that patchers and subpatchers can?

Secondly, does this seem practical? My gut instinct is to say that i want to buy both so i can stick with what i’m used to and not have to use Live as my main conduit for Max when Max is really all that i need for certain applications, particularly if i want to mess around with Jitter and Gen. But another part of me wonders if i’m just holding on to old habits and creating justifications for myself – that in reality i could achieve everything i wanted in MFL by just changing the way that i think and approaching how i conceive of my use from scratch.

Can anyone comment on this?

March 15, 2013 | 1:38 pm

> MFL objects can pass variables to each other in the same way that patchers and subpatchers can?

Not really, send/receive can be used across MFL devices but introduces unpredictable latency. So it’s not suited for time-critical events (eg. midi notes).

March 15, 2013 | 3:12 pm

>> MFL objects can pass variables to each other in the same way that patchers and subpatchers can?
>
> Not really, send/receive can be used across MFL devices but introduces unpredictable latency. So it’s not suited for time-critical events (eg. midi notes).

mmm. good enough for me. Guess i’m buying both.

Thanks!

March 15, 2013 | 7:14 pm

Doesn’t Live 9 suite comes with M4L bundled?

March 16, 2013 | 6:23 pm

Yes it does, and presumably there’s a sensible upgrade pricing too.

March 18, 2013 | 9:21 pm

Right, it does, the question is whether or not MFL is good enough for my purposes or if i also need the full version of Max separately. Based on the response above and other stuff i’ve been reading, i’ll probably be buying both.

March 19, 2013 | 6:45 pm

Just want to point out here that there is a reduced Max price for owners of Max for Live. Look for "Crossgrade" in the store. http://cycling74.com/shop/crossgrades/

That may turn out to be the best deal.

Andrew

March 19, 2013 | 7:53 pm

Hey Andrew,

Thanks, but since i’m a teacher i qualify for the educational pricing which is lower than the crossgrade anyway. :)

-M

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)