Forums > MaxMSP

Max 6 VSTs

December 4, 2011 | 10:22 am

Hi everyone, sorry in advance – I couldn’t find an answer to this in the Sticky on Max 6 or in a general forum search – will there be any VST pluggin integration/the chance to make VSTs pluggins in MAX 6 – as was possible in Max 4? This would be so excellent.

December 4, 2011 | 11:27 am

It seems unrealistic as the cooperation with Ableton (M4L) conflicts with support of other DAWs.

December 4, 2011 | 9:06 pm

I am interested in this as well. It would be great it there was a vst equivalent to the standalone object and the build collective/application.

If max already has the ability to compile a patch to a fully functional standalone application then I don tsee how compiling to a VST/AU (or whatever), is any more complicated. I have built AUs and full applications via C++ and Obj-C so I understand the differences in the programming.

December 4, 2011 | 9:17 pm

indeed, we shouldn’t dream about this.
the only nice benefit we could have: patch inside gen~, then grab the source code to use it in another project (like a VST C++ one for instance)

this isn’t possible today ; it will be in the future.

December 4, 2011 | 9:27 pm

Totally, but if enough people talk about and request this, the good folks at cycling ’74 will listen :)

December 4, 2011 | 9:33 pm

as broc wrote, and considering the huge gap between the moment they supported pluggo & the big decision about the total ableton oriented dev.. I repeat we shouldn’t dream about it.

I explored plugin design a lot and unfortunately (or fortunately) there aren’t 100 solutions.
The only efficient, universal (almost) and relevant one being C++
Pure VST sdk can be the royal way, but, imho, using a wrapper like Juce C++ is now the royal way too.

December 4, 2011 | 9:50 pm

@Julien Maybe the way to go is building it ourselves? I have been diving into building my own DSP programs and have a few other friends who are interested in this as well. You obviously have some knowledge on this topic, maybe we can collaborate on something?

Shoot me an email if you’re interested or if you want to chat about this more: gw@playbackrecordreinforce.net

December 4, 2011 | 9:59 pm

I unfortunately have no time for that now, preparing a max lecture for january (subject: max6 as an alternative to pure C++ coding in audio software design…), preparing 2 releases as protofuse, and especially targetting iOS / Objective C developemet for 2012 :-/

feel free to fire me an email through http://designthemedia.com/index.php?app=contactus and I’ll give you my email.

December 4, 2011 | 10:43 pm

"subject: max6 as an alternative to pure C++ coding in audio software design"

hehehe :)

December 4, 2011 | 10:46 pm

I precisely know what you mean here :D

December 5, 2011 | 8:39 pm

It seems unrealistic as the cooperation with Ableton (M4L) conflicts with support of other DAWs.

While we don’t know this for sure (at least I don’t think this was publicly said), we do know that the developers at Cycling 74 have said a few times that part of why they partnered with Ableton was that keeping Max running inside a VST and running bug free in all of the DAWs out there was quite complicated for Max—which as its own environment is a lot more complicated than most VSTs. Personally, I’m glad to see that man-power they didn’t quite have get put into things that are, to me, more exciting like generating straight C from gen~ (which could be used almost anywhere including, like Julien said, a VST).

If max already has the ability to compile a patch to a fully functional standalone application then I don tsee how compiling to a VST/AU (or whatever), is any more complicated.

You are probably right, but Max doesn’t have that ability. All a standalone application made with Max is your patch turned into a collective + MaxRuntime wrapped up together into a single application. People have asked me about this question a lot—maybe if the name was changed from "Build Collective / Application…" to "Wrap up a Collective / Application" people wouldn’t get so excited about that non-existent power ;)

December 5, 2011 | 8:46 pm

right.
"turning into patch" absolutely doesn’t equal compiling.
in fact, there is no compilation at all.

gen~ compile things for real ( check the Wesley Smith’ answers there : http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=36354 )

December 5, 2011 | 9:10 pm

@Julien your link didn’t work, could you please check it?

December 5, 2011 | 9:13 pm

fixed (bbpress eat the parenthesis)

December 9, 2011 | 6:33 pm

Tim Place/Jamoma’s Plugtastic project may offer some hope.
https://github.com/jamoma/Plugtastic
last edit = nov 11th 2011; so still active.

December 10, 2011 | 4:59 am

Has anyone tried this? How reliable is it?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)