Max and Java 6

G
Apr 5, 2007 at 9:56am

Max and Java 6

hi all

i updated my java version to java 6 developer preview 1 and i wanted to use the new JVM with max, but it seems this is still very unstable.

i added the following line to max.java.config.txt :

max.java.jvm.version 1.6

in order to say max to use the new version.

when i start max i get the following message :

“(MXJ) Attempting to set java version to 1.6″

does this mean it worked??? i guess yes.

well here’s the point, with this JVM version, patches using mxj crash max.

does anyone tried using this new JVM ?

G

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:29am

we have experienced problems trying to run 1.6 with Max. At this
point its use is not encouraged or supported.

Ben

On 4/5/07, guillaume wrote:
>
> hi all
>
> i updated my java version to java 6 developer preview 1 and i wanted to use the new JVM with max, but it seems this is still very unstable.
>
> i added the following line to max.java.config.txt :
>
> max.java.jvm.version 1.6
>
> in order to say max to use the new version.
>
> when i start max i get the following message :
>
> “(MXJ) Attempting to set java version to 1.6″
>
> does this mean it worked??? i guess yes.
>
> well here’s the point, with this JVM version, patches using mxj crash max.
>
> does anyone tried using this new JVM ?
>
> G
>
>
>

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:33pm

> we have experienced problems trying to run 1.6 with Max. At this
> point its use is not encouraged or supported.

this message from ben is almost 3 years old.

has there been any progress in using java 6 with max since?

i can run java6 programs fine from the terminal, but after sticking a “max.java.jvm.version 1.6″ in max.java.config.txt, max barks “Unable to create JVM”

anyone has managed to get this working?

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:38pm

Volker, there seems to be some problems with MIDI and Java 6 (which is used by default in Snow Leopard on the Mac). See this thread:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=24092

Dan

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:06am

thanks for the hint, dan. for now, i don’t even get to the point of being concerned with midi :(
i’m trying to incorporate some sources into an mxj object, that depend on java 6 – otherwise i’m still happy using the old version.

right now, i’m wondering how people managed to convince max to use java 1.6 instead of 1.5 ?

i’m on osx 10.5.7, downloaded an installed java 6 and changed the link in the bash_profile so i can use the new version from the terminal (which works fine, reporting java version “1.6.0_13″).
but if i add “max.java.jvm.version 1.6″ to max.java.config.txt in order to tell max which version to use, max throws an error when trying to load any mxj object:
(mxj) attempting to to set java version to 1.6
MXJ System CLASSPATH:
(etc. …)
“Unable to create JVM”

this happens on osx 10.5.7 with max5.1.2
is there a way to make this work?

thanks,
volker.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:46am

I seem to remember discussion on some other post saying that the issue with Java 6 was that it is 64-bit only. I think Max only works with Java 5 if you are using 32-bit. Don’t know about snow leopard, but it is pretty easy to switch Java versions using /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:44am

I can’t answer for 10.5, but under Snow Leopard MXJ comes up with Java 1.6, and getProperty(“os.arch”) gets me i386, suggesting that Max brings up a 32-bit JVM.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:22pm

thanks for the replies.
fortunately i was able to build the external sources using java 1.5 in the end, so i don’t need to change to 1.6 right now anymore.
still some official comment from cycling on the issue would be welcome.

> Don’t know about snow leopard, but it is pretty easy to switch Java versions using /Applications/Utilities/Java
> Preferences.app

this doesn’t affect the version max uses. afaik it’s only for java applications and applets.
but it has an effect on xcode… if you switched this java preference thing to 1.6 and you’re working on a project that builds an mxj external and you’re used to leaving the compiler settings for target VM version to “default/unspecified” (like me), then there may be a nice surprise if you try to load the newly built external in max…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.