Forums > MaxMSP

Max crashes before starting

May 19, 2011 | 11:59 am

Hello, most of the time starting Max I encounter crashes without even beginning at all, it appears in the force quit window "not responding" and in order to start it I have to force quit it several times until will open properly..thanks K.

May 22, 2011 | 10:20 am

As it seems that nobody encountered such as this before I found something new concerning the crash, I figure out that it is pseudo-crash as if I wait while in the quit window gives the "maxmsp not responding" it seems that changes mind and starts, that can be really annoying in Live performance situations could anyone give a hint why that happens? Is it maybe the multi folders paths that I use for externals etc? is it better that I will make a unique path for tracking stuff such objects abstractions etc?

May 22, 2011 | 7:28 pm

Does it do it right after a reboot? If so, there may be some lingering process that is running in the background.

May 22, 2011 | 7:59 pm

Hi, it starts now with a weird form, let me give you the details, I open Max clicking on the Icon 5 after that it gives 5-10 seconds to give me a "maxmsp not responding" I wait without force quiting it and then it takes it’s time to start properly, the weird thing is that does not give either a crashing report.
And always does that even rebooted.

May 22, 2011 | 8:03 pm

I forgot to mention by the way if gives you any hint, when I program many objects are missing from the suggestion lists as I am typing.

May 22, 2011 | 8:13 pm

Hmmm, that sounds like your search patch may messed up. Check the Max5 folder in ~user/Applications/Max5 for a folder called "Cycling ’74" to make sure all the max/msp/jitter objects are there. You may need to reinstall Max.

May 22, 2011 | 9:21 pm

search "path" not patch, sorry.

May 22, 2011 | 9:30 pm

It’s ok I got it, everything seems properly installed

May 22, 2011 | 9:33 pm

Delete Max preferences? It still might be worth a reinstall. Good luck!

May 23, 2011 | 9:34 am

You mean file preferences? paths to externals ?

May 23, 2011 | 4:13 pm

No, I’m talking about the actual Max application preferences. You’ll find those in ~user/Library/Preferences/Max 5 Preferences Folder on your hard drive. Sometimes deleting those can solve these sorts of problems. Quit Max, move the Max 5 Preferences Folder to the trash and then re-launch Max. The preferences will be rebuilt.

May 23, 2011 | 5:25 pm

I think is ok now only the rolling disc for a while but then starts and i think that the missing suggestions of objects while typing, came back, is there any formal way to find this out by the way? Thank you for your assistance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)