Forums > MaxMSP

Max & Dropbox

May 28, 2009 | 2:36 pm

Anyone else here using Dropbox to keep Max projects synced between 2 or more machines (hello, Stefan!) ?
I’ve been doing this for a while, and on the whole it works well, but I’ve been getting a few crashes lately when opening patches on one machine when it was last updated on the other.
More specifically, I think it’s related to loading bpatchers that have been modified – the first time you open the parent patch after any of the bpatchers in it have been modified on a different machine, Max crashes (crash report attached) – if you then re-open the patch, it’s no problem.
I’ve put my /dropbox/current_patches folder in Max’s search path (bad idea? Seems to work) on both machines, and I’ve found that this works for everything except graphic files (eg. pictslder, matrixctl), which I have to put into a local folder in Max’s search path,or the next time you open the patch on a different machine, the graphics will not load, which again, is not quite what i’d have expected,
Cheers
Roger

June 5, 2009 | 4:10 pm
roger.carruthers wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:36
Anyone else here using Dropbox to keep Max projects synced between 2 or more machines (hello, Stefan!) ?

I mainly use it as a backup, as I can’t afford two machines…Wink

roger.carruthers wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 16:36
I’ve put my /dropbox/current_patches folder in Max’s search path (bad idea? Seems to work) on both machines

I created a symbolic unix link of my folder into the Dropbox. Which works fine.
I would not expect Max to recognize a changed file if its updated from a different computer. I would suspect that while its updated, it might be in an non finished state, and if you load it during this change, maybe something is going weird. I can’t imagine that the method itself creates problems…

Stefan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)