Forums > Max For Live

Max for Live or Straight to Max6?

December 27, 2013 | 5:03 pm

I’m an engineering student about to take advantage
of Ableton’s educational discount on Ableton Live 9 software.
I was originally planning to purchase Live Suite (vis a vis the Standard
version) mainly to get access to Max for Live, and immerse myself
in learning the Max6 programming language.
My preference is not to be tied strictly to Ableton however,
and for that reason I could see myself fairly quickly making the jump
to the full version of Max6.
With this in mind, would it make more sense for me simply to purchase
the Standard edition of Ableton Live 9 along with a ‘full’ copy of Max6,
rather than purchase the Live Suite and then have to pay an additional
crossgrade license fee to upgrade to Max6?
I really don’t care about the extra content that comes with Live Suite
(e.g. extra instruments, sound sets, etc.). But are there any drawbacks
or limitations if I don’t actually purchase Max for Live?

Any help would be appreciated.

ark
December 27, 2013 | 11:21 pm

Even if you have Live 9 + Max 6, you still need to buy Max for Live separately if you want to use Max under Live. Moreover, there is a discount on Max if you have Max for Live.

Not only that, but there is a 20% discount on everything until January 15. In other words: Normally Max costs $399, or $299 if you already have Max for Live. However, until January 15, Max costs $239 if you already have Max for Live.

dtr
December 28, 2013 | 1:49 am

You didn’t say what your intended use is. If you’re not into music and Live, then just get Max directly. There are edu discounts too.

Now if you’re into music/Live and you want to use Max inside Live devices, then go the M4L route. Whether you need the full Max6 crossgrade depends on your use. Engineering student sounds like you’ll want it sooner or later. You’ll enjoy not being locked in the sequencer environment of Live.

December 28, 2013 | 3:18 am

I use Live a lot so started with MFL (added to Live standard edition)
, then bought ‘straight Max’. The deep integration of Mfl is still valuable though, but I use one or the other, depending on the projects. And I can build standalones (that’s one limitation of MFL).

December 28, 2013 | 9:07 am

Thanks to all for your answers.
I should have been clearer: my intent is to use
Max strictly for music-related applications.
Sounds like from the answers here that Max for Live,
with upgrade to Max6 is the way to go.

December 28, 2013 | 11:18 am

I hope I don’t muddle things too much, but it really does depend on which music-related applications you’re developing.

I built my rig in MaxForLive, and now I’m desperately trying to dig my way out of it.

December 28, 2013 | 6:17 pm

>>I hope I don’t muddle things too much, but it really does depend on which music-related applications you’re developing.
>>I built my rig in MaxForLive, and now I’m desperately trying to dig my way out of it.

My intent (hope) – beyond gaining access to others’ Max devices – is to build and experiment with my own MIDI controllers (ala Monome, Livid components)

Jan
December 29, 2013 | 2:18 am

Even if you have Live 9 + Max 6, you still need to buy Max for Live separately if you want to use Max under Live

As of Live 9 Max For Live is included in the Live Suite. You don’t need to purchase an extra license.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)