Max global transport slaved to LIVE's master clock: MIDI routing

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:52am

Max global transport slaved to LIVE's master clock: MIDI routing

Two computers.
My friend is sending me real time messages from his Live master clock via MIDI cable, i can detect the stream of data on my MIDI monitor, but i don’t know how to make the global transport to follow.
I’ve noticed a few posts regarding Max clock being the master to external devices, but i’m interested in receiving his clock and syncing it with mine.

What in terms of midi routing should be taken care of on both computers before i can detect the real time messages in Max?
How do i slave my global transport to these external messages?

Thank you for helping!

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:28pm

Here is a patch for start/stop synchronization. It assumes that master and slave are set to the same tempo.
Tempo synchronization could also be done, but it’s more complicated and not perfectly accurate.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Mar 17, 2012 at 4:31pm

Thank you!

With your help I’m synchronizing tempos like this, temporary solution. Take the 1st of the 24 streaming clock messages per click, make it set the tempo and trigger the transport.

Is there any more direct way for global transport to be synced to Live’s master clock?
And should i use Utp cable or Midi cable?

Thanks again!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Mar 17, 2012 at 7:59pm

A more direct (and modern) approach would be using M4L and OSC (instead of MIDI).
From an M4L device in Live you could send start/stop and the current value of tempo directly.
And receiving OSC messages in Max is quite simple.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.