Forums > MaxMSP

MAX MSP JITTER Build into Application PROBLEM

January 11, 2010 | 2:47 pm

I have a MAX MSP JITTER file that has a lot of aiff files.
The problem is in this : when I start build into application there is no problem, but the files in the application don’t play.

I have tried to include them as files when I start build into application, but they still do not work.

What seems to be the problem?

January 11, 2010 | 2:50 pm

Do you see any error message in the Max window? Do you include the sound files using the Build Collective/Applications… window or do you manually add them to the support folder? Do you have a patcher example? platform? …

January 11, 2010 | 2:57 pm

The best way to include them in your app is to [loadbang] a "max sendapppath name;" message in your patch which will return the location of the app from [receive name]. You can then use [sprintf] to format the path, I would recomend Contents > support as the best place. Then once your app is built you can right click and select "Show Package Contents" (on a mac) and copy the files inside. However this will increase the file size of your app so you might just want to distribute them separately and use somethine like [opendialog] to specify the location.

lh

January 11, 2010 | 3:44 pm

i can not send you any patcher example since I am using internet from my windows computer, and the Max is on my Mac laptop.
I have included the sound files using the Biuld Collective/Applications thhrough include file, and then I have mannually add them.

January 11, 2010 | 4:56 pm

Go with Luke’s method, so you can figure out the sprintf formatting. It takes some trial and error but you’ll save plenty of headaches later. The path needs to be a single symbol, so use [tosymbol] after the sprintf…otherwise, spaces in your path (Documents and Settings, for example) will mess things up.

There may also be some settings in the [standalone] object that you want, have a look at the info on that.

I’ve done a lot of app-building and I still can’t say I know exactly what will and won’t work regarding which files you need to include and where… some get included automatically (matrixctrl image file) but some don’t (fpic image file has sometimes not been). That seems odd to me. However, files that you load *at runtime*—like your .aiff—can’t possibly be auto-included, as Max doesn’t know that you plan to load them. But something like the [matrixctrl] knows what file it needs, so that gets in just fine.

Any other tips on this would be great to hear, or some more elaboration in the docs. I don’t know that I’ve ever built a complicated standalone and had everything work on the first try, and parts of the process seem inconsistent. Hard to nail these down exactly, as there are a lot of variables to try…and things change in new versions, like my recent "dial.svg: no such file in collective" etc. errors that I’d never seen. (Fixed by including the object-palettes folder from the Max app folder… "include folder" in the Build window, but didn’t need to copy the folder afterwards, at least in this case…)

January 11, 2010 | 5:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I do not know why am I having this problem. Little more that two years ago I’ve added the sound files, but I do not know how since it has been some time.

I will try Luke’s method and yours and I will let you know.

January 12, 2010 | 10:48 pm

What I have been doing is that I have Build Collective/Application onto my desktop and not in the same folder as the initial MAX file. Even though my sound files are all playing at once when I put them on, not one by one, I am happy that this saga is over.
So, all of you that have sound files in one application, Build Collective/Application in the same folder and not in some other one !!!!!

EMV
March 2, 2010 | 9:01 pm

(Quoting seejayjames here.. still no quote button..)

"like my recent "dial.svg: no such file in collective" etc. errors that I’d never seen. (Fixed by including the object-palettes folder from the Max app folder… "include folder" in the Build window, but didn’t need to copy the folder afterwards, at least in this case…) "

I have this problem now as well when I try to build a standalone .exe on Windows, Max 5.1.3.

Thankfully I came across this post, thank you seejayjames for mentioning the workaround!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)