Forums > MaxMSP

Max package documentation

November 6, 2013 | 2:06 pm

Hi,

I’m willing to use the "package" format to develop a library but i’m facing difficulties to understand the proper way to use it.
First, I am not sure how the maxproj file is used by Max and what folder(s) are automatically created.
Also, I am saving maxhelp patchers in the help folder, but Max automatically move them to the patcher folder. The same goes for template patches that won’t stay in the template folder.
Is there a proper documentation somewhere ? Tutorials ?
Thanks in advance for any information

Nat
November 6, 2013 | 3:25 pm

Max projects and Max packages are 2 different things.
A project is more like a final product/software that you would publish along with media files etc. A package is more like a library that you install to then use in your patches.
Did you check this ?

http://cycling74.com/2013/03/11/max-6-feature-packages/

November 7, 2013 | 12:12 am

Yes, sorry for the confusion between Max project and package. These are 2 different stuffs.
My main concern is about packages.
I have already seen the url you mention, but it is not what I would call a documentation … :) The only other thing i found is : http://cycling74.com/sdk/MaxSDK-6.1.1/html/chapter_appendix_f.html
… but this is still not making my day.

November 7, 2013 | 5:09 am

@vincent, look at the "about packages.txt" file in the Max 6.1/packages folder it should clear things up.

November 7, 2013 | 12:06 pm

OK, i think the problem was that I had a .maxproj in my package folder which was presumably moving my patchers around when opened. Removed it and it seems to be fine now.
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help.

November 9, 2013 | 10:33 am

As far as I can tell, we *are* still waiting for complete & integrated documentation for both of these great features. I asked about this some time ago. It’s kind of a drag when they go through the trouble of building great workflow features like these, and then leave their use a little too mysterious.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)