Forums > MaxMSP

Max / Reason

September 13, 2010 | 11:01 pm

Hi,
I want to play a Reason instrument from Max MIDI messages, but it l can’t figure out how.
I use soundflower and this is my setting:
MAX: [noteout] to Driver IAC bus1
Reason: Preferences>Advanced>External Control>Bus A: Driver IAC bus1

something like this works when i play Logic or Garageband instruments, but Reason does not see incoming MIDI informations.
Anybody knows why?
thanks!

September 14, 2010 | 4:57 am

I used to do a lot of my stuff by sending audio messages from Reason into Max via Rewire. Don’t know if Rewire can handle MIDI messages but it might be a better option than Soundflower, if it can.

September 14, 2010 | 10:43 am

ok, it was supersimple, although i didn’t do it in soundflower (still don’t know if that’s possible).
[rewire~] was indeed the solution, and yes, it can handle sending MIDI messages to Reason. ;) thanks

September 14, 2010 | 11:34 am

soundflower is for audio isnt it?

create a [noteout] object, right-click and select "from Max/Msp"

open Reason -> Prefrences -> Advanced, select "from Max/Msp" for one or more buses.

then choose which instrument gets the midi from max by using the advanced midi thingy in the rack…

~ Reason can only "see" the "from max" midi channels when max was started first and is still running

September 14, 2010 | 6:17 pm

I always thought [rewire~] and Soundflower were both just for audio, so I figured if someone was trying to send MIDI with Soundflower… Anyway, looks like there are multiple simple solutions.

Maybe I should get back into using Reason with Max. Haven’t tried it in years. People scoff at Reason but I always thought it sounded great and was very CPU light. I’d be interested to hear from people who have recent experience of using the two together.

September 22, 2010 | 3:17 pm

"ok, it was supersimple, although i didn’t do it in soundflower (still don’t know if that’s possible).
[rewire~] was indeed the solution, and yes, it can handle sending MIDI messages to Reason. ;) thanks " – personal_username

Could you please explain how you were able to accomplish that using [rewire~]. I am passing my midi messages using midiparse. Please help. By the way i have Reason 3.0

September 26, 2010 | 5:39 pm

@ bhavaye: well, just have a look to the [rewire] help patch. Look at it.
I’m still trying to figure out out to better handle noteoffs, but i suppose it will be simple, as well:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 27, 2010 | 5:47 am

plogue bidule may also be able to hand this routing for you. haven’t tried but worth a look:

http://www.plogue.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)