Forums > MaxMSP

Max Scheduling irregular – What could be the problem?

November 27, 2012 | 10:48 am

Hi,

I am having this unexplainable problem, that my Max scheduler is not being very regular.

I can test it using a metro, sending a bang to a click~ at very high speeds. Clearly there are disruptions audible, telling me the metro is not firing at a steady pace.

Does anyone have a clue where I can look to fix the problem? All suggestions welcome, thanks!

November 27, 2012 | 12:21 pm

Make sure that ‘Overdrive’ is enabled in the DSP status window.

November 27, 2012 | 12:33 pm

Hi,

if I were you, I’d read this article: http://cycling74.com/2004/09/09/event-priority-in-max-scheduler-vs-queue/ by Joshua Kit Clayton, specially the section ‘Event Backlog and Data Rate Reduction’ and the ones that come after that.

The point is: if you generate too many events, you might flood the event processing queue in which case the timing of the events will become irregular.

HTH,
Ádám

November 27, 2012 | 12:59 pm

If you can’t reduce data at the source, you can filter it the moment after.

"Change" and "Zl.Change" objects are great for reducing data.

I also have this, i think as an abstraction too:
It’s a 1ms gate, that closes when you change presets and you don’t want some events doubled.

Also, set-up a counter for debugging to see where message-count is high and could be reduced.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

November 27, 2012 | 4:06 pm

You could also use the [speedlim] and [qlim] objects for data reduction, which are more lightweight both.
HTH,
Ádám

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)