Max4Live Sliders and CPU LOAD

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:07am

Max4Live Sliders and CPU LOAD

Hello Everyone,
I am posting this here as I am struggling to find support at Ableton.

I am experiencing unusual CPU peaks when using a Max4Live device I have created.
The Device contains 3 live sliders and a udpsend object to transfer via OSC the data to MAx/MSP.

After investigation I am guessing that the CPU peaks are related to the way LIVE handles sliders data:

WIthout using any audio file, if I run the patch I have attached to this post, on my computer which is a

MAc Book Pro
Intel Core i7
2.66 GHz
8 GB RAM

It goes immediately into peak, as soon as automation data is produced.

So I guessed it could be the UDP object causing problems.
On the second Live Set attached, I have removed the udpsend Object form the devices, and still the cpu for 12 Sliders is 65%,it is stable, but it is very high indeed, for a computer fairly powerful as the one I am using.

This means that working with any audio file, or audio processing, could become impossible.

I am really stuck with this, I cleaned my devices and made it so simple, that I cannot think of any simpler.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanx you.

Tom

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:49pm

small bump, have the same problem here.
using pattr – pattrstorage objects to morph presets from either midi or UDP coming in.
I experience spikes in CPU and more alarmingly, the CPU load seems to “stick” at high percentages.
this of course causes clicks in audio.

I have no idea what causes this, there isn’t even audio going on.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:29pm

solution has been found for me.
spikes in CPU are mostly given by the update time of objects like sliders or the one u use most in your patches.

I had sliders set on 1 millisec refresh.
I just needed two of them to send the cpu up to 130%

i then set the update rate (you can set it from inspector) to 100 millisec and it works a treat.
I can use 20 sliders and cpu i still 10 %

i think this could help.

(thanx to Andrew B for this hint)

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:31pm

to be more precise, spikes in cpu are given by objects refresh/update time and concurring factors like udp , osc transmission and midi as well
for me, fixing the objects update time was enough

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.