Forums > MaxMSP

Max5 and the spigot~ object…

April 24, 2008 | 8:21 pm

Hello All.

I have been patiently waiting for Max 5 hoping for some change in the spigot~ functionality with the new features in quicktime.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is not the case, it still works as before, the movie having to completely load before the audio is available out the spigot.

Worse, the audio comes out of the Quicktime directly to the outputs as before and when the movie loads THEN it switches to the spigot.

What I want to do is get the audio into MSP immediately redirected so I can use my own EQs and effects on it.

Is there a different way to do this or is this functionality that has just not been updated yet?

Don’t get me wrong, Max 5 is AWESOME compared to what we have before, that said, this limitation has really been a thorn in my side and is preventing further development of something I am writing.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rick

April 24, 2008 | 8:54 pm

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Rick Burnett wrote:
>
> I have been patiently waiting for Max 5 hoping for some change in
> the spigot~ functionality with the new features in quicktime.

Sorry. Any changes to spigot~ will be waiting until Jitter 2.0.

In the meantime, you may want to batch load and process all your media
files you wish to use with spigot~ in advance. After their first
extraction to disk, the correlation should be available for the next
time.

-Joshua

April 24, 2008 | 10:18 pm

Thanks for the update and no problem, I will wait till then to port my code over as that is the number one reason for me to switch.

I understand if you cannot say anything, as I have seen no official talk of Jitter 2.0, but is there an estimate of when you’d like to get it out? Are we talking this year, next year? Again, if you cannot comment, I understand.

With regards to your suggestion, does this mean I can do this once then close my app and when I open it back up that information will be there? Or is this once the app is up. I use 1600+ videos that are about 640×480 motion jpeg B from 3 to 10 minutes. (about 1 terabyte of data) that I pull from. This could take awhile :)

Thanks!
Rick

April 24, 2008 | 10:54 pm

On Apr 24, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Rick Burnett wrote:
>
> Thanks for the update and no problem, I will wait till then to port
> my code over as that is the number one reason for me to switch.

Plenty of other fun stuff though…using Max 4 for me now is kind of a
drag when I have to do it, but I suppose if you refrain from eating
the forbidden fruit, you’ll be forever happy in Max 4 Eden.

> I understand if you cannot say anything, as I have seen no official
> talk of Jitter 2.0, but is there an estimate of when you’d like to
> get it out? Are we talking this year, next year? Again, if you
> cannot comment, I understand.

It’s definitely not going to happen in 2008, but I can’t give any
better estimate of when it will happen.

> With regards to your suggestion, does this mean I can do this once
> then close my app and when I open it back up that information will
> be there? Or is this once the app is up. I use 1600+ videos that
> are about 640×480 motion jpeg B from 3 to 10 minutes. (about 1
> terabyte of data) that I pull from. This could take awhile :)

Yeah, more info on spigot~ cache in the reference. Jeremy might have
some recommendations. Not sure if anyone has made a batch conversion
spigot~ patch yet, but you could let it go over the weekend, maybe
even on a separate machine and copy over the cached audio + xml files
(though filenames might be stored as absolute, in which case you’d
need to do some grepping).

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/refpages/jit-ref/spigot~.html

-Joshua

April 25, 2008 | 3:37 pm

Oh believe me, without question Max 5 looks amazing and is SO MUCH NICER to work in. For what I played around with in it I was amazed at how much easier things are. I REALLY look forward to cleaning up my patches since the UI is separate now (layout wise) and that makes a SIGNIFICANT difference for me.

That said, my patch works right now, I use it once a month for a show I do so rewriting it only makes sense if I am going to be adding features or using something new. The GUI is fully custom already and I have both Javascript and Java functionality I use throughout it that some of that is going to go away.

So, the issue, I just don’t have time yet to do the conversion. I’ll still pick up the update for any new code I am writing.

For instance, I am going to write some test code to check out this XML stuff as I want to store other information in the XML file as well if possible :)

May 4, 2008 | 2:29 am

Okay, so I am trying to use the cached data but I must be doing something wrong.

I’ve sent [; jitter spigot_cache 0 ] to the spigot~ objects and the when I load a movie it plays out of the regular qt output till it writes out the audio cache. Then, I reloaded the video and it just rewrote out the audio cache again. I can’t seem to figure out how to tell it the cache is there already.

Any thoughts?

Rick

May 4, 2009 | 3:58 pm

My configuration for spigot~ is

;
jitter spigot_cachesize -1, spigot_cache 0

The >0 makes buffer size unlimited, and cache 0 puts the audio files on the same movie’s dir. So the next time you open it don’t have to cacht the audio again.

and everything works fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)