Max5: [hover] bug report + feature request

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:36am

Max5: [hover] bug report + feature request

Hi.
While trying to make a nice rollover effect on some numberboxes with
[hover], I realized it would be cool to have a “rollout” notification
(i.e. “scriptingName 1″ and “scriptingName 0″).
Then I thought a possible workaround was to put a panel in the
background so when the cursor is out of the numberboxes, it’s over the
panel and it triggers the rollout effect.
This doesn’t work with panel when patcher is locked (it does work with
ubutton for example).
I guess this one can wait but I thought it was worth mentioning it…

Bug description:
-[hover] doesn’t outputs anything when cursor is hovering a panel in a
locked patch.

Steps to reproduce:
-Lock the patch.
-Hover numberboxes with your cursor.

Expected behavior:
On “hovering out” numerboxes, [hover] should output “none” on right
outlet (because cursor is now hovering [panel] and numberbox background
color should reset. It doesn’t if the patcher is locked.

Ciao.

MaxMSP 5.0.1, Intel MacbookPro, OS10.4.1.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 30, 2008 at 4:02pm

I can confirm this on both platforms and we have logged it to be fixed.

Thanks for the report.

-A

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:08pm

Can I add that it seems Hover in Max5 updates a fair bit slower than before – is there any chance of increasing the polling time? (if indeed that’s how it works?)

Great that hover is part of Max now by the way.

Simon

May 1, 2008 at 6:17am

I suppose it’s possible that hover may update a bit more slowly than it used to, but it should be updating at the same speed that hints are displayed and the rest of the UI is updated in response to mouse movement. The old version of hover was a giant CPU hog and needed to be completely rewritten for Max 5, otherwise it would have been voted off the island and not included as a standard object.

If you need faster mouse tracking you’ll need to do it explicitly with something like mousestate.

David Z.

May 1, 2008 at 7:03am

As for the patch you supplied, the problem is that hover does not know about objects who are set to ignore mouse clicks when a patcher is locked, so it does not report anything when the mouse is over the panel. In order to work around this problem, in the next update I have taken your suggestion and added two new outlets to hover so you can find out the name of the object the mouse has just left as well as the name of the object the mouse enters. We might ultimately fix the ignore click issue — we fixed it for the hint object — but I think you’ll find the exit trigger is a better approach.

David Z.

May 1, 2008 at 9:18am

David Zicarelli wrote:
> …in the next update I taken your suggestion and added two new outlets to hover so you can find out the name of the object the mouse has just left as well as the name of the object the mouse enters. We might ultimately fix the ignore click issue — we fixed it for the hint object — but I think you’ll find the exit trigger is a better approach.
Thanx !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.