Forums > MaxMSP

Max5 will not launch, can't authorize

August 16, 2008 | 12:17 am

Hi all, just purchased and installed my copy of max/msp/jitter. When I launch the application I get an error.

Error #-5000 while verifying you authorization.

So, basically I can’t launch to enter the authorization code. I’m on a Dual G5 Mac Power PC, OS 10.5. I’ve re-downloaded and reinstalled to no avail.

Any suggestions?


August 16, 2008 | 12:21 am


August 16, 2008 | 12:50 am

repaired permissions and reinstalled to no avail. Still the same error.

Other suggestions?


August 16, 2008 | 2:20 am

Could this be an issue with the MAX preferences? I did have a democopy on this machine last year.

Should I delete the preferences? Where do they live on the hard drive?


August 16, 2008 | 5:33 am

Do you have administration rights on that account? I’m not sure, but maybe that’s the problem.


August 16, 2008 | 6:08 am

I do have admin rights. Should be able to launch it. Hmmmm. Can’t figure it out.


August 16, 2008 | 6:23 am

What I normally do if I have problems like this (e.x. with a former demo-version):
I erase all Max related files by searching them with the ‘Spotlight’ function (hope you know what that is) – and then re-install the whole programme.

Cheers
Peer


August 16, 2008 | 4:54 pm

is there a list of MAX related files? It’s hard to find them by just doing a spotlight search.


August 16, 2008 | 5:04 pm

Anyway, found the Max preferences and deleted them. Still not working. I wish I could run this awesome software.


August 16, 2008 | 5:22 pm

I updated the Interlok extensions and ran the "pre-binding" script as well as per the Cycling FAQ.

Still won’t launch.

Any other thoughts? I’m searching the forum but this seems to be a non-existent problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.


August 16, 2008 | 5:42 pm

The log states the following:

8/16/08 10:41:10 AM com.apple.launchd[233] ([0x0-0x21021].com.cycling74.MaxMSP[286]) Exited with exit code: 1


August 16, 2008 | 9:01 pm

So I’m still working on this and I have a little bit more information that might be helpful in diagnosing this problem.

- I started 10.5 in safe mode and then I launched MaxMSP. I got the following, "Required software extensions are missing, go to the PACE website and download the extensions"

this makes sense to me given that the computer has been started in Safe Mode. Still in safe mode I went and downloaded, then installed the extensions. Launched MaxMsp again and now I’m right back to the -5000 error which I had initially, "failed authorization" essentially.

Any ideas? Thanks again for the help. I think I’m getting closer but expert advice is certainly welcome.


August 16, 2008 | 9:52 pm

For fun I went back and installed MaxMsp 4.6 and ran into the same error. -5000 while verifying your authorization.

I’m dead in the water now, have not a clue what the problem could be.


August 16, 2008 | 11:01 pm


August 17, 2008 | 12:32 am

Yes it will run and I’ve opened some of the demos. They seem to work fine. But a strange thing happens and I’m not sure if it’s normal or not….there’s and application that continuously tries to launch…."Core Midi Setup" or something.

Does that help any?


August 17, 2008 | 10:13 pm


August 18, 2008 | 6:29 pm

Ben @ Cycling ’74 wrote me with the following:

" —————

First i’d like for you to trash any of the following files that you can find:

/System/Library/Extensions/PACESupport.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/PACESupport2.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext
/Library/StartupItems/PACESupport/
/Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/

Then download and install the latest InterLok extensions.

These can be found at:

http://paceap.com/dldrvr.html

————— "

When I was trying to solve the issue I had deleted all of the files and folders except, "/Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/" This was the trick for a successful installation.


August 18, 2008 | 6:32 pm

to clarify, all the listed folders/files have to be removed. Deleting, /Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy/ allowed me to complete the install.


August 18, 2008 | 9:57 pm

There was an additional problem with CoreMIDI. It was continuously launching/crashing and when I went to Audio Midi Setup Utility I would get the error saying that the app "couldn’t connect to the MIDI server." MAX would launch but there was an alert saying the coremidi could not connect.

The solution was to go to ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers and delete
DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin and DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin.

Apparently there was some conflict happening that prevented CoreMIDI from launching correctly.

Ben @ cycling74, thanks again for your help!


August 19, 2008 | 1:42 am

Hello,
It sounds as though there is something funky with permissions on your OS install that is preventing MaxMSP from accessing important files.

If you haven’t already, please send a note to support. Permissions issues are a fairly common problem for OS X applications, and unfortunately running Repair Permissions doesn’t always fix it. Most likely, you will need to manually set permissions on some files/folders using the Get Info window.

Best,
Andrew B.


Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)