Forums > MaxMSP

Max5+IRCAM

April 13, 2008 | 9:59 pm

I realize since Cycling ’74 wasn’t going to be seeding Max 5 to developers, there is probably no real answer to this but any speculation would help me out with my purchasing schedule (although now that I think about it, when I can go take classes may effect things more).

Anyone got any guesses how long it will take IRCAM to come up with updated objects for Max 5? I realize most of them are not GUI so in theory they will still work but I am mainly curious about spat~. I realize it is a different kind of port but can anyone who was a subscriber during the Intel transition weigh in on IRCAM’s response time on things like this? Or better yet, is there anyone from IRCAM who has an idea what their goals for a timeline on the port will be (I realize you would probably be guessing since you may not have the SDK)?

April 13, 2008 | 11:43 pm

On 13 avr. 08, at 23:59, Roth Michaels wrote:

> Anyone got any guesses how long it will take IRCAM to come up with
> updated objects for Max 5? I realize most of them are not GUI so
> in theory they will still work but I am mainly curious about
> spat~. I realize it is a different kind of port but can anyone who
> was a subscriber during the Intel transition weigh in on IRCAM’s
> response time on things like this? Or better yet, is there anyone
> from IRCAM who has an idea what their goals for a timeline on the
> port will be (I realize you would probably be guessing since you
> may not have the SDK)?

So far I can tell you that most of Ircam objects run fine under Max5,
like Spat, modalys~, iana~, supervp objects, etc.
I suppose that FTM/Gabor related stuff will have to be re-written
somehow, as well as other UI objects/patches , but I can’t give you
any further detail right now.

_M

April 14, 2008 | 12:02 am

Thanks Manuel, Spat will be the only thing I would need right away and so it looks like I’ll be getting my subscription as soon as I have the cash (too bad the $ sucks).

April 14, 2008 | 8:10 am

On 14 avr. 08, at 02:02, Roth Michaels wrote:

> Thanks Manuel, Spat will be the only thing I would need right away
> and so it looks like I’ll be getting my subscription as soon as I
> have the cash (too bad the $ sucks).

Maybe, before spending your $s in the top 5.1 system for your car,
you should wait a little bit that the car is ready, and some official
feedback…
In the meantime, there are plenty of nice objects dedicated to
spatialization on maxobjects.com, and they’re free.

_M

jln
April 14, 2008 | 10:06 am

April 14, 2008 | 1:15 pm

Thanks for the warning Manuel, my real interest in the IRCAM collection is to use it with 4.6 because I was planning on subscribing in a month or so regardless of how long the Max 5 delay was since I doubt I’ll be brave enough to start using version 5 in live performance for a bit anyway (although who knows, 5.0 may be great out of the box but I don’t hold my breath for first release software versions). I’m probably not even upgrading to Max 5 until sometime in May once I have time to try it out and hear what others think but it is nice to hear that things are looking so good already for the IRCAM objects. Thanks for the responses from both of you :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)