Forums > MaxMSP

Max6 prevents modifying default applications on Mac?

November 5, 2011 | 10:03 am

Hi List,

I installed Max6 in parallel with Max5. It turns out that the installation process modified the default application for all *.maxpat and *.maxhelp (among other file associations) files from Max5 to Max6, and it is impossible to undo this. I tryed with the ‘usual’ way through the Finder ‘More Info’ button, I also tryed Rubicode’s RCDefaultApp and I also tryed tweaking with ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, but nothing helps, my patches are still being opened by Max6 instead of Max5. The only thing that works is that I can set manually file-by-file the application that should open it through ‘More Info’ in Finder, but I’m not wanting to set this for hundreds or thousands of files one-by-one.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks,
Ádám

November 5, 2011 | 12:02 pm

+1

November 6, 2011 | 8:42 am

bump?

November 7, 2011 | 3:16 pm

Hi again,

this is really, really annoying. I’m not planning to migrate my projects to Max6 at this time, so I need to set back the default app somehow to Max5. If I can’t solve this somehow, then I’m sure that I won’t buy Max6 for a long while and I’m going to uninstall the demo completely from my system. But is this really the only ‘solution’?

Thanks,
Ádám

November 7, 2011 | 3:27 pm

I’ve already uninstalled the Max6 demo for the same reason.

November 7, 2011 | 4:11 pm

HI Guys,

Sorry about this. We’re going to look at changing the application identifier, and we’re hoping the fix will be in 6.02

Cheers

Andrew

November 7, 2011 | 9:07 pm

@Siska,

you can undo this (outside max) by selecting all your maxpatches, then you select in the findermenu file open with/others/ you select max5 and on the left lowerside you select always open with. this will open you once all maxpatches together. Close them, and you should be fine.

Helmuth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)