Maximus Pink

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:13am

Maximus Pink

Hello.
This post maybe in the wrong part of the forums. If it is just tell me and I’ll take the flogging that goes with such asinine behaviour. I’ve already tried to ask this in the pluggo section and have got few definitive responses.

Anyway I would like to buy Ms.Pinky’s vinyl control system. I am a turntablist and music technology post grad.I use Max and like working with him and he seems to like me too. Thats all great but I think he needs a woman around the place. I’ve tried putting images of naked girls in patches but I think thats just cheap.So I’m considering setting him up with Ms.Pinky. She seems like a nice girl.

Okay so the serious stuff. I don’t want to use Ms.Pinky as normal dj tool to just play records and video.I have serato for that stuff. I want to customize her to my own specific needs. My concern is that she may not be as reliable as I think. Her website is great, the moderators are friendly and the system looks like the bomb on paper/screen. But from most of the posts I’ve read on the forums she doesn’t seem to live up to the hype. The reason I’m posting here is because I’d like to know from Max users what her capabilities are really like. If any of you are using Ms.Pinky to control your own patches could you please post your opinions on her response to your work?

Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

Regards
DX

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:51am

I don’t know exactly what ms.pinky is about, and I’m no Max expert (not even amateur lol), but if it’s a vynyl control system, it must have some form of digital signal code on the vynyl, that is later interpreted by software (at least, this is the way m-audio’s control works).

The hard work here is to guess that code, and how to use it. That is, making your patch interpreting the data sent by the disc. If you can get through that, you can do whatever you want with it (along with “typical” control, you could use it for example to drive a jitter plugin making graphics out of signals, video scratching, or in msp send the data to an envelope filter for crazy wah…whatever).

But as I said, the hard part is finding how to use the “sound” coming out the vynyl.

Make us know if you make progress on this, I never thought about it but seems incredibly interesting, and if you can make it work it has to be fun!

Good luck ;)

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:56am

I’ve been a ms pinky user for some time, and I would have to say that I’m quite happy with it. When you get the records, you also get a link to download the max object and other files.

The main object I use is the one that gives out the current speed of a record. This is set so that 33 rpm = 1.0. If you stop the record, it reads 0., double speed reads 2 etc. You can plug this into the ms. pinky ‘sfplay’ type object, which has a lot of settings specifically for the record, including a really nice timestretch setting. OR you can plug it into anything else. I like to use groove~ a lot because it lets me switch between buffers. You can also take the signal and use it to control delays, filters etc. Its really open ended.

Theres only one down side, and this is pretty big. I’ve found that using ms pinky, even with the absolute-time-code object, it drifts a little bit. Meaning, each time you pull the record back, its not starting at the exact same spot. Its really something you have to get used to, and its ok for scratching. However, if you were doing beat juggling I would recommend that you stay far away from ms pinky.

That being said, it was like $100. I definitely got my moneys worth, and I havent felt a need to move on to something else.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:14am

i highly recommend ms pinky for anyone wishing to interface a turntable with max/msp. i think it completely satisfies this goal. yes there are some issues. besides the aforementioned, playing at super slow speed (close to 0) causes sound artifacts. but this does not keep you from being creative with this device, it’s merely a limitation to keep in mind.

basically what you get is a signal, which you can manipulate with the vinyl, and patch to anything you want in max/msp/jitter. really nothing more, nothing less.

-rob

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.