Forums > MaxMSP

MaxMSP 4.6.3 released

May 17, 2007 | 12:11 am

Hello All,
This is just a note to inform everyone that we have released an update
for MaxMSP that includes fixes for the following:

–Mac Intel PACE crashes after using Software Update (prebinding issue)
–Windows crashes due to Java configuration
–PACE support for Vista and 64-bit Windows XP

Other bug fixes included with this update are listed in the change log
included with the installer.

Mac OS X (UB):

http://www.cycling74.com/download/maxmsp463all.dmg

Windows:

http://www.cycling74.com/download/maxmsp463all.zip

As always, please direct any problems to support at cycling74 dot com.

Cheers,
Andrew Benson


May 17, 2007 | 12:59 am

Is it possible to post the change log somewhere so we can take a look without downloading the installer?


May 17, 2007 | 1:30 am


May 17, 2007 | 1:47 am

Bug fixes and changes in 4.6.3 from version 4.6.2
Max/MSP Object Bug Fixes and Changes

- sfplay~: fixed problems with crashes when clearing cues, fixed problem with crashes when loading files and playing in reverse, fixed problem with playing files with very slow playback speeds.
- accum: fixed precision error.
- sync~: fixed problems with audio and MIDI sync
- maximum: fixed bug with maximum list and first arg being an integer
- trace: fixed problem with aborting under certain circumstances
- send~: fixed bug with set message when audio is off and multiple set messages are sent
- vexpr: fixed crash when freeing an object with discontinuous arguments such as $f1 + $f2 + $f4
- vst~: fixed parameter handling
- regexp: fixed problems with escaped "," and ";" characters
- pattrstorage: fixed bug where deleted objects were being displayed; fixed entities bug with slotnames
- serial: fixed bug with read timeout
- fftin~ and fftout~: corrects some minor windowing bugs and provides a fix for a crash when running in fullspectrum mode on a PPC Macintosh with G4 optimizations on
- delay~: now correctly calculates the delay time when it is updated rapidly
- pattr: fixed binding problems when binding to an unbound pattr
- coll: fixed bug with sort index funkiness
- poke~: de-glitched int/float input when DSP is on and no signals are connected
- fffb~: fixed bug with list input – it now actually works as advertised
- fixed problem on Mac where audio would not turn on when MaxMSP did not have focus
- fixed problem on Windows to solve init crash for Java v1.6
- jit.cellblock – Change to the rows and column resizing to properly handle the condition of a selection falling out of bounds

- mxj: fixed issues with TCPReceiver on Windows
- udpsend / udpreceive: fixed help files
- js: fixed compatibility with pattr
- pak: now supports "i" + "f" arguments
- buffer~: fixed crash when deleting before turning audio off
- vectral~: fix for slide mode on Intel processors
- cross~: made instantiation argument optional
- poly~: now allows vector size of 1 with vs 1 argument


May 17, 2007 | 7:18 am


May 17, 2007 | 8:26 am

Thanks for the announcement.

I have a question: there’s no update of the shell object for Intel
macs in 4.6.3? I thought that was in the works.

Best,

Zip


May 17, 2007 | 9:06 am


May 17, 2007 | 10:30 am

On 17 mai 07, at 10:26, Zip Boterbloem wrote:

> I have a question: there’s no update of the shell object for Intel
> macs in 4.6.3? I thought that was in the works.

The redirection problem have been fixed in the Max kernel. So there’s
no need for an update, tt just works :)

ej


May 17, 2007 | 10:43 am

On 17 mai 07, at 11:06, Vlad Spears wrote:

> I’m seeing the same trouble here, with no externals updated even
> though Max now claims to be 4.6.3.

As far as I can tell, it’s harmless, the externals have been updated
anyway (if you look inside the package, the ../Contents/MacOS/* have
a correct date).

ej


May 17, 2007 | 10:55 am

Really? That will make my day!

Best,

Zip

Zip Boterbloem
Media Mechanics
Zwaluwstraat 54
2025 VR Haarlem
The Netherlands
+31627014758
zip@knoware.nl

Op 17-mei-2007, om 12:30 heeft Emmanuel Jourdan het volgende geschreven:

> On 17 mai 07, at 10:26, Zip Boterbloem wrote:
>
>> I have a question: there’s no update of the shell object for Intel
>> macs in 4.6.3? I thought that was in the works.
>
> The redirection problem have been fixed in the Max kernel. So
> there’s no need for an update, tt just works :)
>
> ej


May 17, 2007 | 3:32 pm

On May 17, 2007, at 3:43 AM, Emmanuel Jourdan wrote:

> On 17 mai 07, at 11:06, Vlad Spears wrote:
>
>> I’m seeing the same trouble here, with no externals updated even
>> though Max now claims to be 4.6.3.
>
> As far as I can tell, it’s harmless, the externals have been
> updated anyway (if you look inside the package, the ../Contents/
> MacOS/* have a correct date).
>
> ej

That’s why Hans and I are confused. The externals inside the
installer package do show new dates, but during upgrade the installer
says it’s installing 0kb and after the install the externals in the
installed application don’t appear to have been overwritten as they
are still showing dates from August 2006.

Vlad

Vlad Spears
Urbi et orbi

http://www.daevlmakr.com

http://www.2secondfuse.com


May 17, 2007 | 3:40 pm

Indeed, shell seems to work properly on intel now. And regexp is
fixed. Nice! This means I can finally sell my PB G4 and switch to my
MBP completely.
Any chance that someone at C74 will look at the stability issues with
the waveform~ object? As it is now, it has to be treated with gloves
when sending closely spaced (=fast) crop and normalize messages while
buffers are rapidly filled/changed. The object wil crash(worst case)
or the associated buffer will not get cropped or normalized. This is
with 10 second buffers. There’s also a graphic problem with this
object, random vertical lines will often appear in the display part.
This bothers my clients, graphic oriented as they are. I will try to
come up with an example of this erratic behaviour when I have some
spare time(which probably means never)

Anyway, thanks for the update, C74!

Best,

Zip

Op 17-mei-2007, om 12:55 heeft Zip Boterbloem het volgende geschreven:

> Really? That will make my day!
>
> Best,
>
> Zip
>
> Zip Boterbloem
> Media Mechanics
> Zwaluwstraat 54
> 2025 VR Haarlem
> The Netherlands
> +31627014758
> zip@knoware.nl
>
>
>
> Op 17-mei-2007, om 12:30 heeft Emmanuel Jourdan het volgende
> geschreven:
>
>> On 17 mai 07, at 10:26, Zip Boterbloem wrote:
>>
>>> I have a question: there’s no update of the shell object for
>>> Intel macs in 4.6.3? I thought that was in the works.
>>
>> The redirection problem have been fixed in the Max kernel. So
>> there’s no need for an update, tt just works :)
>>
>> ej
>


May 17, 2007 | 4:01 pm


May 17, 2007 | 5:29 pm

Hi Hans,
As was mentioned previously, the installed externals should be fine. If
you are unable to accept this fact, you are welcome to run a clean
install of MaxMSP by deleting the MaxMSP 4.6 folder from your
Applications folder and running the 4.6.3 installer again. You can then
be absolutely certain, beyond any shadow of doubt, that these are the
appropriate versions of the MaxMSP externals.

If you have further issues related to this installer, please do not
hesitate to send them directly to support.

Cheers,
Andrew Benson
Cycling ’74 Support


May 17, 2007 | 5:32 pm


May 17, 2007 | 5:47 pm


May 17, 2007 | 5:55 pm


May 17, 2007 | 7:47 pm


May 17, 2007 | 9:18 pm

Cheers for the vista pace fix. Is max fully vista happy now.

all i need now is m-audio to actully release its vista drivers, so i can use my ‘real soundcard’. im sick of crappy on bourd mobo sound cards.

cheers anyway guys, i’m assuming max 5 will be fully vista/windows happy


May 17, 2007 | 10:29 pm

Installation worked fine on my XP SP2a system at work but is hanging on my home XP SP2a system.

If I pull up Process Explorer it looks like it’s getting stuck during some process involving the CopyInf x32 iLok Driver Install Application.

I have tried uninstalling 4.6.2 and installing 4.6.3 clean, too.


May 17, 2007 | 10:53 pm

It’s probably the point at which, as during the installation at work, the Command Prompt window pops up.


May 17, 2007 | 10:53 pm


May 18, 2007 | 12:38 am

cebec wrote:

/////

Installation worked fine on my XP SP2a system at work but is hanging on my home XP SP2a system.

If I pull up Process Explorer it looks like it’s getting stuck during some process involving the CopyInf x32 iLok Driver Install Application.

I have tried uninstalling 4.6.2 and installing 4.6.3 clean, too.

///

Ok – I have this problem on one of my PCs as well and was wondering if it would crop up. As it now has, we shall investigate it further. Thanks for the note – I’ll let you know as soon as we find a way around it.

Incidentally, if you’re not using the ilok drivers you can just bomb out of the installer using the Task Manager and everything will be fine. Sorry for the hassle.

-A


May 18, 2007 | 12:44 am

I tried killing the installer at that point but even with a reboot I get the same error message: That an updated TKpd (?) driver is required and a reboot or reinstallation.
Thanks!


May 18, 2007 | 12:48 am

MaxMSP 463 is Vista 32bit happy as far as it goes. Please let us know if you see anything weird with Aero or anything else. We have tested and found it to be fine.

MaxMSP is a 32 bit app. It will also run just fine on 64 bit machines as a 32 bit app. The correct Pace driver for your machine is installed by us.

And yes – Max 5 will be Vista happy.

-A


May 18, 2007 | 2:12 pm

>I tried killing the installer at that point but even with a reboot I get the same error message: That an updated TKpd (?) driver is required and a reboot or reinstallation.

I’m having the exact same problem. Max is now dead as a dodo on my PC. I’ve tried the Repair option in the installer but it freezes at the same point as the install did. I’m running XP Pro, SP2.


May 18, 2007 | 2:52 pm

Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 17 May 2007 03:47
—————————————————-
> – fixed problem on Mac where audio would not turn on when MaxMSP did not have focus

Terrific!

Mattijs


May 18, 2007 | 4:59 pm

>I tried killing the installer at that point but even with a reboot I get the same error message: That an updated TKpd (?) driver is required and a reboot or reinstallation.

I have a workaround for this problem from Pace.

Try disabling your Internet connection (be it by unplugging the Ethernet cable
or disabling a wireless connection) temporarily and then try running the
driver installer again.

Then you can turn it all back on again. Worked for me…..

Please all of you with this problem let me know here or at support@ if you have more problems with this.

-A


May 18, 2007 | 9:33 pm

Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Fri, 18 May 2007 10:59
—————————————————-
> >I tried killing the installer at that point but even with a reboot I get the same error message: That an updated TKpd (?) driver is required and a reboot or reinstallation.
>
>
> I have a workaround for this problem from Pace.
>
> Try disabling your Internet connection (be it by unplugging the Ethernet cable
> or disabling a wireless connection) temporarily and then try running the
> driver installer again.
>
> Then you can turn it all back on again. Worked for me…..
>
> Please all of you with this problem let me know here or at support@ if you have more problems with this.
>
> -A
>
>
—————————————————-

Thank you! That worked…


May 19, 2007 | 8:54 pm

Zip Boterbloem schrieb:
> Any chance that someone at C74 will look at the stability issues with
> the waveform~ object? As it is now, it has to be treated with gloves
> when sending closely spaced (=fast) crop and normalize messages while
> buffers are rapidly filled/changed. The object wil crash(worst case) or
> the associated buffer will not get cropped or normalized. This is with
> 10 second buffers.

I reported a crash as well, but its something I expected somehow. If
there would be some kind of notification when cropping is done, that
would be nice.
The reason is obvious, cropping means recopying, there is a moment where
its not clear if the buffer still exists in its original size. If you
access parts outside, it might do bad things…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


May 19, 2007 | 9:31 pm

As I mentioned before, I would love it when all objects that take
considerable real time would signal their state somehow, with busy/
ready flags/bangs/messages for example.
I could then get rid of sometimes absurd and confusing delay networks
for proper timing of messages.

Result: nice, clean patches that I will still understand in 6 months
time, lovely!

Best,

Zip

Zip Boterbloem
Media Mechanics
Zwaluwstraat 54
2025 VR Haarlem
The Netherlands
+31627014758
zip@knoware.nl

Op 19-mei-2007, om 22:54 heeft Stefan Tiedje het volgende geschreven:

> Zip Boterbloem schrieb:
>> Any chance that someone at C74 will look at the stability issues
>> with the waveform~ object? As it is now, it has to be treated with
>> gloves when sending closely spaced (=fast) crop and normalize
>> messages while buffers are rapidly filled/changed. The object wil
>> crash(worst case) or the associated buffer will not get cropped or
>> normalized. This is with 10 second buffers.
>
> I reported a crash as well, but its something I expected somehow.
> If there would be some kind of notification when cropping is done,
> that would be nice.
> The reason is obvious, cropping means recopying, there is a moment
> where its not clear if the buffer still exists in its original
> size. If you access parts outside, it might do bad things…
>
> Stefan
>
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>


May 20, 2007 | 1:47 pm

Hi.

I have been having problem to use MaxMSP Rewire with ProtoolsHD
7.3.1.Protools Keeps crashing when I use MaxMSP 4.6.2 inside of
Protools HD 7.3.1 and close the session or take out rewire plugins.

Have anybody experienced this kind of issue?

Thank you

Koutaro


Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)