Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP and Windows 7

October 12, 2010 | 1:14 am

I recently purchased a new laptop for college (less than a month ago). It’s a windows machine running windows 7. Today I was talking to somebody and we got talking about Max/MSP. I told him how i’m interested in getting into the program, etc.. but when I told him I had a PC he informed me that Max/MSP runs a lot better on the Mac platform.

Is there any truth in that or is his opinion just a by product of the mac v pc argument?

thanks

October 12, 2010 | 3:49 am

Of course not, I have been running Max on a PC for years and it runs great.

Mac fanboys like to think there is a difference, but there is not.
Acutally now that macs use Intels, they have finally reached PCs.

But beware, in the PC world, you get what you paid for.
Buy a machine with poor specs, you get poor performance.

October 12, 2010 | 7:40 am

Just one thing: as far as I know, Max is not supported on Windows 7 Starter edition.

October 12, 2010 | 11:07 am

it works flawless on win7-pro

October 12, 2010 | 7:48 pm

Windows Starter Edition is not a full featured Windows 7 OS, often used on netbooks, and indeed, probably not fully supported.

Any standard full version of Windows should work fine.

-Ben

May 4, 2011 | 12:28 pm

How about MaxMsp runtime? Can it run on windows 7 starter?

May 4, 2011 | 1:34 pm

You can run Max on windows 7 starter, but I would expect it to not
run as well as Win7. It depends on the processor it is running on.

If you are considering getting some of these new tablet/netbooks
to run Max, make sure it as a dual core Atom.

January 14, 2013 | 5:51 pm

Has anyone had this issue that I’m having right now:

Max 6 installed correctly, and it will startup but only after what seems like forever! I can’t pinpoint what I do to make it start up because I’m so impatient.

Basically it won’t startup until I do some sort of combination of hitting the sartupbar icon, plus double clicking on the shortcut on my desktop, clicking and dragging a patch onto the shortcut, or opening Max Runtime.

I’ve noticed that when I open Max the first time Max.exe*32 opens in the processes. But the application doesn’t launch so I end the process and try opening it again.

Anyone have this problem? Is there a patch for Max available for this problem?

January 14, 2013 | 6:01 pm

I must say that me on windows 7 I have to click on run as administrator to make it works with quicktime for example……

January 14, 2013 | 6:34 pm

This is a test

January 14, 2013 | 6:57 pm

Hello. I have the same problems as McNamara, pn my dektop running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
Even if I launch max 6 as administrator, it doesn’t run.

But…

It runs without problems on my laptop running the same windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Another issue: as now windows 7 install all the programs in a folder called Programs (x86), it becomes impossible to send to an object amessage like "plug c:/programs (x86)/steiberg/vstplugins/blabla.dll" because of the blank in the path.
Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)