Forums > MaxMSP

max/msp as oscilloscope ?

September 7, 2006 | 3:55 pm

Hello

I’ve been lurking around on this forum for a while, this will be my first post.
I’ve been using max/msp for some time, never done anything all to complicated though. I need to get myself a oscilloscope for my synthesizer. I though, this is something that max could handle via the audio in, right ? Has anyone done anything similar ? Could anyone point me in the right direction for objects i have to learn to use ?


September 7, 2006 | 4:02 pm

do you mean beyond the scope~ object?

Falk
Am 07.09.2006 um 17:55 schrieb Mikael Persson:

>
> Hello
>
> I’ve been lurking around on this forum for a while, this will be my
> first post.
> I’ve been using max/msp for some time, never done anything all to
> complicated though. I need to get myself a oscilloscope for my
> synthesizer. I though, this is something that max could handle via the
> audio in, right ? Has anyone done anything similar ? Could anyone
> point me in the right direction for objects i have to learn to use ?
>
>


September 7, 2006 | 4:05 pm

Check out the help files for scope~. Especially the XY subpathcer.
That should get you started.

Anthony

—– Original Message —–
From: Mikael Persson
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2006 10:57 am
Subject: [maxmsp] max/msp as oscilloscope ?

>
> Hello
>
> I’ve been lurking around on this forum for a while, this will be
> my first post.
> I’ve been using max/msp for some time, never done anything all to
> complicated though. I need to get myself a oscilloscope for my
> synthesizer. I though, this is something that max could handle via
> the audio in, right ? Has anyone done anything similar ? Could
> anyone point me in the right direction for objects i have to learn
> to use ?
>


September 7, 2006 | 4:09 pm

scope~ in x/y mode?

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Mikael Persson wrote:

>
> Hello
>
> I’ve been lurking around on this forum for a while, this will be my
> first post.
> I’ve been using max/msp for some time, never done anything all to
> complicated though. I need to get myself a oscilloscope for my
> synthesizer. I though, this is something that max could handle via
> the audio in, right ? Has anyone done anything similar ? Could
> anyone point me in the right direction for objects i have to learn
> to use ?


September 7, 2006 | 4:21 pm

yes


September 7, 2006 | 5:17 pm

As others have pointed out, scope~ will work. Another possibility is
jit.catch~/jit.graph. However something that you may want to think
about is that audio interfaces are AC-coupled, which means they will
not pass DC signals. Oftentimes one of the things that’s valuable
about looking at synth signals on an oscilloscope is being able to see
DC offsets.

Ben

On 9/7/06, Mikael Persson wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I’ve been lurking around on this forum for a while, this will be my first post.
> I’ve been using max/msp for some time, never done anything all to complicated though. I need to get myself a oscilloscope for my synthesizer. I though, this is something that max could handle via the audio in, right ? Has anyone done anything similar ? Could anyone point me in the right direction for objects i have to learn to use ?
>


September 9, 2006 | 7:01 pm

thanks for all the answers. I have looked some at the scope-object. The jitter objects seems interesting, i have to look into that.

I didn’t think about the ac-coupled problems. Anybody know a good solution to the problems ? Is there any cool usb-devices i could look at ?

There is some pc-oscilloscopes that are connected through the serial port and such but i liked the idea of having it in max.

With a good external ADC and DAC it would be pretty easy to turn max into a oscilloscope and function generator, right ?


September 11, 2006 | 2:41 pm

Mikael Persson wrote:
> I didn’t think about the ac-coupled problems. Anybody know a good
> solution to the problems ? Is there any cool usb-devices i could look
> at ?

As far as I know, the Motu 828 used to be DC capable, its a firewire
interface though…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


September 11, 2006 | 3:00 pm

>Mikael Persson wrote:
>>I didn’t think about the ac-coupled problems. Anybody know a good
>>solution to the problems ? Is there any cool usb-devices i could look
>>at ?
>
>As far as I know, the Motu 828 used to be DC capable, its a firewire
>interface though…
>

not exactly – it also exists as USB 2.0

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com


September 11, 2006 | 3:26 pm

On 11 sept. 06, at 17:00, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:

>> As far as I know, the Motu 828 used to be DC capable, its a firewire
>> interface though…
>
> not exactly – it also exists as USB 2.0

it’s the 828mkII, which is _really_ different from the "mkI". So maybe
the filters/converters are different too.

p

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://users.skynet.be/crfmw/max


September 12, 2006 | 6:31 am

Patrick Delges wrote:
> it’s the 828mkII, which is _really_ different from the "mkI". So
> maybe the filters/converters are different too.

best is with all "hidden features" to try it in the shop…
or maybe we have some on the list which would share their experiences?

Maybe we could create a wiki for gear used with Max/MSP… might be
better than searching the archives, and could be filled by anybody who
owns audio-Midi-sensor interfaces…

just an idea for Wallace…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


September 12, 2006 | 2:41 pm

All modern audio codecs are delta sigma converters which rely on a oversampled difference
measurement and are inherently AC coupled.

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigma/DeltaSigma.html

SAR (successive aproximation register) ADCs are used for instrumentation conversion which are
capable of DC measurements. These are no longer used for audio.

KMc
— Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> Patrick Delges wrote:
> > it’s the 828mkII, which is _really_ different from the "mkI". So
> > maybe the filters/converters are different too.
>
> best is with all "hidden features" to try it in the shop…
> or maybe we have some on the list which would share their experiences?
>
> Maybe we could create a wiki for gear used with Max/MSP… might be
> better than searching the archives, and could be filled by anybody who
> owns audio-Midi-sensor interfaces…
>
> just an idea for Wallace…
>
> Stefan
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>

Keith McMillen
BEAM Foundation
http://www.beamfoundation.org/
510.502.5310


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)