Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP + DMX USB Pro + Which Lights???

November 16, 2010 | 4:52 am

Hey all,

I’ve seen a few posts on this topic recently but I thought I would start a new thread because of my specific circumstances. I am researching a potential Max/MSP project that would need to be completed in two weeks, and it involves lighting control, even if somewhat simple. I need a solid solution with no hassles, and my experienced Max/MSP colleagues have warned me that I might be asking too much when it comes to lighting control.

So here’s the situation. If I embark on this project, it will be a whirlwind affair and I won’t have a lot of time for experimentation and equipment failure/software incompatibility. Add to this the fact that I have never worked with DMX and the president of a large country will be attending the exhibition, and you have a potentially crazy idea for a project, but that’s how I roll. :)

So far it seems that the most cost effective and promising solution is the DMX USB Pro and Nullmedium externals. I will be wanting to use it for simple dimmer control only, in a gallery setting.

So my first question… can anyone report back on potential problems I might run into, and how to avoid them?

Second… Can anyone recommend light fixtures to use that are known to be compatible with this system? They only need to provide whitewash illumination on a gallery wall (a fairly wide spread would be nice) and they must obviously have dimmer control. That’s it. Obviously I don’t want to buy the most expensive thing that exists, but proven compatibility and quick availability are more important than cost. Also helps if they travel well.

Thank you for any learned (and rapid) response you might have. I might become a regular around here if this project materializes.

FYI, I will me working with Max 5 on a Win 7 PC with a Quadro FX 1800M video card, and I’m in Ohio (not NYC or LA). Installation will take place overseas so all gear must be transported/shipped a long distance. For what it’s worth.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

November 16, 2010 | 5:25 am

P.S. The exhbition will have 220V power. This complicates things, no? Also, can I just use a DMX dimmer with regular Par38 cans, or do the cans have to be DMX intelligent lights as well? Sorry for the basic questions.

November 16, 2010 | 5:30 am

I used Max/Ableton and the Entec box to control lights & video at a Recoil (Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode) live show. This event required lights to be synced via midi and was very demanding, but everything worked like a charm. I have used this setup with a WIDE range of lights and have never had an issue. Sounds like your setup is simple enough, but here’s a list of lights I have used, but I am sure any DMX light should work.

Elation Power Spot
Elation Power Wash
DJScan 250 EX
Chauvet Color Palette
Martin Mini-Mac Profile 250
Martin Trackspot 250
Martin Ego 4
Martin Ego 5

November 16, 2010 | 5:31 am

If you have the par cans plugged into a DMX dimmer, then you can control them via DMX (basic on/off,intensity).

November 16, 2010 | 5:59 am

Mpsyp, if you want to send me an email I can help sort you out and provide some patch fragments for you. Max and DMX is my personal area of expertise. butler2710@gmail.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)