Forums > MaxMSP

MaxMSP + E-Mu 1820m anyone?

February 20, 2008 | 12:42 pm

Hello,

Has anyone used this soundcard successfully with MaxMSP? What are the
available signal vector sizes? Is it reliable?

Thank you in advance.

Roald Baudoux
——————————–
Composer of electroacoustic art (acousmatic music, sound
installations, live electronics).
(http://robaublog.canalblog.com/)

Junior Lecturer for the Royal Conservatory of Music (Mons, Belgium).
(http://www.conservatoire-mons.be)
——————————–
Tel/fax: +32.(0)2.503.23.46
Mobile: +32.(0)497.32.38.13

February 20, 2008 | 1:25 pm

I never had reliable operation with the 1820m or the 1616m and Max/MSP or Reaktor. I tore most of my hair out working with this combination. The DACs, etc., on the ‘m’ series sounded great but it was just a pain in the ass. Since switching to an RME FF800, I’ve been happy as can be.

February 20, 2008 | 1:27 pm

That was over a year ago, however, and newer drivers may have remedied the problems I experienced. Maybe get it from a place with a friendly return policy.

kjg
February 21, 2008 | 12:24 am

Quote: cebec wrote on Wed, 20 February 2008 14:25
—————————————————-
> I never had reliable operation with the 1820m or the 1616m and Max/MSP or Reaktor. I tore most of my hair out working with this combination. The DACs, etc., on the ‘m’ series sounded great but it was just a pain in the ass. Since switching to an RME FF800, I’ve been happy as can be.
—————————————————-

i have to second that. pc drivers (don’t know about mac drivers, if available at all) have been horrible _and_ not been updated for over a year. but yes, the converters are great (for the money), and clocking is decent (depending on your budget this could also could mean great).
i’m currently using the 1820m clocked from a rme ff400 on my pc workstation which i use for mixing and sound design work.
for low-latency applications i use my ff400, and i wouldn’t recommend this card, generally, when you need to go under about 12 ms latency.
but, if you have a chance to try it (friendly return policy mentioned earlier…) do so, because a lot depends on your specific hardware configuration and in case your hardware "matches" this card, it is great, no really, great(!) value for money.

regards,
kjg

May 21, 2008 | 12:26 pm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)