MaxMSP – Jitter/Java help (Gumball Sequencer)

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:53am

MaxMSP – Jitter/Java help (Gumball Sequencer)

Hi,

I’m a fairly new user to MaxMSP software and I’m trying to figure out how to go about similar work to the gumball sequencer (as shown in the youtube link below). The plan is to use cv.jit (which I have no experience with) or Java scripting (which I have moderate experience with).

The plan is, rather than the gumballs referring to 16th beats, they play samples instead.

Can anyone give any examples of work / provide ‘how to’ guides / provide videos or tutorials to help. Keep it in layman’s terms; simple and easy to understand, if possible. No MaxMSP work has been started yet.

Gumball Sequencer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziIdjrR_MRs

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:07am

I’ll go out on a limb and say three sometimes unpopular things:

1) I really don’t think you need js. I can’t think of a single reason why.

2) I don’t think you need colour tracking. Having them separated by “colour” makes no sense, since they’re always on the same line.

3) I don’t think you need cv.jit. If your camera is always in the same position, then your dots are always in the same position. You can use vanilla jitter in this case: “how bright is the pixel in spot xy?”.

IDK, man. Sometimes projects like this get really overly complicated – this is problematic, especially if you’re just starting out on a project and there are lots of variables.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:52pm

agree with the above statements, other than regarding js. seems js would be perfect to manage the different states.

you can either do the color matching with jit.scissors and jit.iter/spill, or simply send the matrix in to js, and iterate and test in js.

you’re simply testing for colors, so testing for red would be something like:

red = mat_vals[1];
blue = mat_vals[2];
green = mat_vals[3];
if(red>0.9 && blue<0.1 && green <0.1) {
// process red
}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.