Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP + Lanbox / DMX strategies?

November 4, 2008 | 6:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I am working on a project where I have a microcontroller box reading sensor values and then sending them to a PC running max via a usb-serial cable.

Then in max/msp I want to use the data to generate DMX fade values and send them out to a string of lights (approximately 30 connected serially).

I have been looking at buying a Lanbox DMX controller but I am not sure which one to get. The LCM or LCE?

The reason I ask is because the LCM communicates via USB-Serial and I was wondering if this will cause problems/bottleneck if I am using two different serial ports in Max? I have found that WIndows XP and software usage of serial ports can be finicky.

If I get the LCE it has ethernet and I wonder if this will be a better interface (assuming I can communicate to it using UDP in max).

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Here are the two DMX boxes:

http://www.lanbox.com/products/products.html

November 4, 2008 | 7:46 pm

Probably either could work, but maybe go with the ethernet. The udpsend object works fine (you could even send it wirelessly). Don’t know if you need to format the lists/values coming out or not, I recall having to send them through an itoa to send as binary data rather than integers. That could depend on how the unit is configured.

DMX through Max is great! Another option is the ENTTEC USB Pro, which I’ve gotten to work with Olaf Matthes’ object for it.

–Chris

November 4, 2008 | 8:20 pm

The Enttec works fine here too for a lot less money as the Lanbox. It doesn’t have any interior processing or memory. But if you don’t need that, because you use MAX…

Peter

dtr
November 5, 2008 | 1:45 pm

i ve used a lanbox LCX and just started messing with the enttec box. the lanbox works fine over ethernet. lanbox have help patches on their website that make it real easy.

but indeed, if you just need a DMX interface without stand-alone operation then the enttec box is much more efficient.

i also think the lanbox’s are limited at 20Hz refresh rate while the enttec goes way higher.

Aly
November 6, 2008 | 3:54 pm

But remember

Not a freeware

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/dmxusbpro/

Luis Aly

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM, dtr

wrote:

>
> i ve used a lanbox LCX and just started messing with the enttec box. the
> lanbox works fine over ethernet. lanbox have help patches on their website
> that make it real easy.
>
> but indeed, if you just need a DMX interface without stand-alone operation
> then the enttec box is much more efficient.
>
> i also think the lanbox’s are limited at 20Hz refresh rate while the enttec
> goes way higher.
>

November 10, 2008 | 7:39 pm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)