Max/MSP Nintendo DS help

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:21pm

Max/MSP Nintendo DS help

Hi,

I wrote a bit of software for the Nintendo DS which allows you to create
touch-screen interfaces and control patches in Pure Data over the wireless
network. Sort of a poor man’s touchscreen controller. Someone pointed
out to me that since there is a [netreceive] for Max/MSP, it should
be possible to use my software with that program too. So I’d love it if
someone with a Nintendo DS could download the ROM, install it on their DS,
and use the attached .pat file in Max/MSP to tell me if everything works,
or what breaks.

The DS software is here:
< http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS/>

Go nuts.

Best regards,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#31586
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:51pm

holy hot shit batman!

i guess it’s time for me to break down and buy that passme

On 4/25/07, Chris McCormick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a bit of software for the Nintendo DS which allows you to create
> touch-screen interfaces and control patches in Pure Data over the wireless
> network. Sort of a poor man’s touchscreen controller. Someone pointed
> out to me that since there is a [netreceive] for Max/MSP, it should
> be possible to use my software with that program too. So I’d love it if
> someone with a Nintendo DS could download the ROM, install it on their DS,
> and use the attached .pat file in Max/MSP to tell me if everything works,
> or what breaks.
>
> The DS software is here:
> < http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS/>
>
> Go nuts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Chris.
>
> ——————-
>
http://mccormick.cx
>

#102867
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:55pm

Oh!! Ive been meaning to do this forever.

I just dont have a homebrew DS cartridge… want to recommend one
that works well?

On Apr 25, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a bit of software for the Nintendo DS which allows you to
> create
> touch-screen interfaces and control patches in Pure Data over the
> wireless
> network. Sort of a poor man’s touchscreen controller. Someone pointed
> out to me that since there is a [netreceive] for Max/MSP, it should
> be possible to use my software with that program too. So I’d love
> it if
> someone with a Nintendo DS could download the ROM, install it on
> their DS,
> and use the attached .pat file in Max/MSP to tell me if everything
> works,
> or what breaks.
>
> The DS software is here:
> < http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS/>
>
> Go nuts.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Chris.
>
> ——————-
>
http://mccormick.cx

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

#102868
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:46pm

I use Ninjapass, but I haven’t tried using it for these purposes yet.
I’d recommend the M3 Simplyor R4…

On Apr 25, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:

> holy hot shit batman!
>
> i guess it’s time for me to break down and buy that passme
>
> On 4/25/07, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a bit of software for the Nintendo DS which allows you to
>> create
>> touch-screen interfaces and control patches in Pure Data over the
>> wireless
>> network. Sort of a poor man’s touchscreen controller. Someone pointed
>> out to me that since there is a [netreceive] for Max/MSP, it should
>> be possible to use my software with that program too. So I’d love
>> it if
>> someone with a Nintendo DS could download the ROM, install it on
>> their DS,
>> and use the attached .pat file in Max/MSP to tell me if everything
>> works,
>> or what breaks.
>>
>> The DS software is here:
>> < http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS/>
>>
>> Go nuts.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Chris.
>>
>> ——————-
>>
http://mccormick.cx
>>

#102869
Apr 26, 2007 at 6:25am
#102870
Apr 26, 2007 at 6:27am

#102871
Apr 26, 2007 at 7:02am

#102872
Apr 26, 2007 at 7:27am

#102873
Apr 26, 2007 at 9:13am

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:27:46AM +0200, f.e wrote:
> God ! Amazing ! Tried it with pd, works like a charm. Saving to .pat
> with a few rewriting works ok too.

Thanks for trying it. Could you please send me the .pat file that works
with Max/MSP so I can put it online and other people can use it too?

> Please, please, could you make the slider’s bar bigger, because it’s a
> pain to hook it up with the pencil…

Do you mean the touch-distance from the slider bit? I already increased
it to 10, but maybe it needs to be bigger (or maybe the code isn’t
working correctly). Will do some tests and make it easier to touch.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102874
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:00am

#102875
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:51am

#102876
Apr 28, 2007 at 1:18pm

On Apr 27, 2007, at 9:51 AM, f.e wrote:

>
> – Page browsing (multiple pages setup)

There’s very nice series on youtube, called “Atari Cambridge
Research”. In the second clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wq6SQTVM9M

near the end, you can see the concept of ‘rooms’ that I would like to
implement in my UIs. Maybe they would fit in nicely on DS too.

best,
nesa

#102877
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:28pm

dear maxers,

i’ve looked on the forum archives and found nothing that directly
addresses this in an obvious way. but my searching skills are pretty poor,
so i may have missed something.

i am wanting to write/have a patch or abstraction, that finds all aiffs
in a file hierarchy, not just in the immediate folder, but in all folders
(within folders etc.) from that given immediate folder.

i tried the obvious approach from a lisp programmer’s point of view, using
recursion–not within a patch, but calling a patch from the same
patch–and was a little shocked to find that it is “not permitted.” quite
disappointing. my students, many of them “course 6″ (eecs), were a little
surprised too. the recursive patch was elegant, aside from the fact it
didn’t work.

i can think of a solution: an internal loop, with a record being kept of
which level i’m at and an index for each level (my lisp impulse is to keep
it in a list, but i guess an array of some kind might be more idiomatic).
the rest is nuts-and-bolts [folder] checking, first for “AIFF” then for
“fold” and then populating a umenu with the append message keyword. then
working down the foler hierarchy. i guess that’s the iterative solution.

but before i work more on this, i was wondering if there was an external
or an object that does this already, lurking somewhere out there. i’m not
a student looking for an easy fix; i’m a lecturer, as stressed as my
students as the semester comes to a close. we focus around 60% on
composition and 40% on programming, and at this end of the semester, i’d
like to keep it more compositional.

thanks for any help, or hints.

peter
music and theater arts, MIT

new intel g5, newish g5 ppc, older g4/ 10.4.8/ 4.6.2

ps. i’d prefer to avoid jitter, but if that provides an easy solution, i’d
be interested. my students all have max, but none has jitter, just the
school computers, and me.

#102878
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:46pm

ubumenu does folder recursion and file types. just give it a huge
folder recursion search number.

On Apr 28, 2007, at 10:28 AM, peter whincop wrote:

>
> dear maxers,
>
> i’ve looked on the forum archives and found nothing that directly
> addresses this in an obvious way. but my searching skills are
> pretty poor,
> so i may have missed something.
>
> i am wanting to write/have a patch or abstraction, that finds all
> aiffs
> in a file hierarchy, not just in the immediate folder, but in all
> folders
> (within folders etc.) from that given immediate folder.
>
> i tried the obvious approach from a lisp programmer’s point of
> view, using
> recursion–not within a patch, but calling a patch from the same
> patch–and was a little shocked to find that it is “not permitted.”
> quite
> disappointing. my students, many of them “course 6″ (eecs), were a
> little
> surprised too. the recursive patch was elegant, aside from the fact it
> didn’t work.
>
> i can think of a solution: an internal loop, with a record being
> kept of
> which level i’m at and an index for each level (my lisp impulse is
> to keep
> it in a list, but i guess an array of some kind might be more
> idiomatic).
> the rest is nuts-and-bolts [folder] checking, first for “AIFF” then
> for
> “fold” and then populating a umenu with the append message keyword.
> then
> working down the foler hierarchy. i guess that’s the iterative
> solution.
>
> but before i work more on this, i was wondering if there was an
> external
> or an object that does this already, lurking somewhere out there.
> i’m not
> a student looking for an easy fix; i’m a lecturer, as stressed as my
> students as the semester comes to a close. we focus around 60% on
> composition and 40% on programming, and at this end of the
> semester, i’d
> like to keep it more compositional.
>
> thanks for any help, or hints.
>
> peter
> music and theater arts, MIT
>
> new intel g5, newish g5 ppc, older g4/ 10.4.8/ 4.6.2
>
> ps. i’d prefer to avoid jitter, but if that provides an easy
> solution, i’d
> be interested. my students all have max, but none has jitter, just the
> school computers, and me.
>

#102879
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:50pm

thanks! silly me, just too overworked to look into those fancier objects.
peter

joshua goldberg 10:46 07.04.28

| ubumenu does folder recursion and file types. just give it a huge folder
| recursion search number.
|
| On Apr 28, 2007, at 10:28 AM, peter whincop wrote:
|
| >
| > dear maxers,
| >
| > i’ve looked on the forum archives and found nothing that directly
| > addresses this in an obvious way. but my searching skills are pretty poor,
| > so i may have missed something.
| >
| > i am wanting to write/have a patch or abstraction, that finds all aiffs
| > in a file hierarchy, not just in the immediate folder, but in all folders
| > (within folders etc.) from that given immediate folder.
| >
| > i tried the obvious approach from a lisp programmer’s point of view, using
| > recursion–not within a patch, but calling a patch from the same
| > patch–and was a little shocked to find that it is “not permitted.” quite
| > disappointing. my students, many of them “course 6″ (eecs), were a little
| > surprised too. the recursive patch was elegant, aside from the fact it
| > didn’t work.
| >
| > i can think of a solution: an internal loop, with a record being kept of
| > which level i’m at and an index for each level (my lisp impulse is to keep
| > it in a list, but i guess an array of some kind might be more idiomatic).
| > the rest is nuts-and-bolts [folder] checking, first for “AIFF” then for
| > “fold” and then populating a umenu with the append message keyword. then
| > working down the foler hierarchy. i guess that’s the iterative solution.
| >
| > but before i work more on this, i was wondering if there was an external
| > or an object that does this already, lurking somewhere out there. i’m not
| > a student looking for an easy fix; i’m a lecturer, as stressed as my
| > students as the semester comes to a close. we focus around 60% on
| > composition and 40% on programming, and at this end of the semester, i’d
| > like to keep it more compositional.
| >
| > thanks for any help, or hints.
| >
| > peter
| > music and theater arts, MIT
| >
| > new intel g5, newish g5 ppc, older g4/ 10.4.8/ 4.6.2
| >
| > ps. i’d prefer to avoid jitter, but if that provides an easy solution, i’d
| > be interested. my students all have max, but none has jitter, just the
| > school computers, and me.
| >
|

#102880
Apr 29, 2007 at 3:22am

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:55:49PM -0400, vade wrote:
> Oh!! Ive been meaning to do this forever.
>
> I just dont have a homebrew DS cartridge… want to recommend one
> that works well?

I use a ‘supercard’ MicroSD adapter which seems to work well, though I
couldn’t tell you if it’s better or worse than the competition.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102881
Apr 29, 2007 at 3:23am

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:00:53AM +0200, f.e wrote:
> Here’s the .pat file for testing :
> (The DS’s IP is not received by Max, although pd receive it well… so
> you’ll have to manually enter the DS’s IP to connect. Use MarioKart, WFC
> Settings…)

That’s so great, thanks for the patch. I’ll add this to the main page
with a note about the IP address thing.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102882
Apr 29, 2007 at 3:33am

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:51:13AM +0200, f.e wrote:
> – Square Pad Widget (bang, toggle)
> – Text Widget

These are already in the TODO file. Feel free to contribute code if you
want to have them soon.

> – Message Widget (like a message box)

Added to the TODO file.

> – Matrix object ?

You can probably make this easily with multiple toggles.

> – Keyslider ? (like DSMI)

I don’t know what this is. Can you send me a screenshot?

> – Color Settings
> – Page browsing (multiple pages setup)
> – High Screen display previous / next Page

Yep, all good ideas. Feel free to send me code if you implement any of
these.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102883
Apr 29, 2007 at 3:44am

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 03:18:39PM +0200, nesa wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2007, at 9:51 AM, f.e wrote:
> >- Page browsing (multiple pages setup)
>
> There’s very nice series on youtube, called “Atari Cambridge
> Research”. In the second clip:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wq6SQTVM9M
>
> near the end, you can see the concept of ‘rooms’ that I would like to
> implement in my UIs. Maybe they would fit in nicely on DS too.

Wow, thanks, that is a pretty awesome set of videos! The DS has shoulder
buttons which I usually use to browse between pages, but this is cool
too.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102884
Apr 29, 2007 at 10:05am

Hi all,

The deadline for music submission to the International Computer Music
Conference (ICMC) 2007 has been extended to May 7th.

ICMC 2007 takes place in Copenhagen, Denamrk August 27-31, and the theme
is ‘Immersed Music’.

All submissions are welcome & done through http://www.icmc2007.net, but at this
point we particularly encourage submissions in these categories:

1) Performances in any style/genre/kind with(out) instrument(s) for the
15 night concerts,
2) Immersive music and/or instruments for underwater music performances
(in-door swimming-pool),
3) Installations,
4) Choir (up to 3S-3A-3T-3B) w. electronics/interaction,
5) Experimental music videos, and
6) 12-channel tape music (three 4-channel layers) for site-specific
performance at the Atrium, Royal Library.

…but again, all submissions are welcome.

More information on categories and sites are available at
http://www.icmc2007.net & questions etc. can be directed to me on
musicchair [AT] icmc2007 [dot] net

Non-ICMC members can make one proposal free of submission fee, while
ICMC members can make two. Unfortunately we have to put a charge on
extra submissions, to offset our administration costs. You can of course
make as many submissions as you want, just as you can contact me on
musicchair [AT] icmc2007 [dot] net for any questions before you submit.

Thanks,

Lars Graugaard
Music Chair ICMC 2007

#102885
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:15pm

peter whincop schrieb:
> i tried the obvious approach from a lisp programmer’s point of view,
> using recursion–not within a patch, but calling a patch from the
> same patch–and was a little shocked to find that it is “not
> permitted.”

The patch would literally load itself infinitely. In lisp it would load
only once, because all is just executed line by line and not a real time
system… If lisp had to load its lines before executing, it would crash
as well… ;-)

> my students, many of them “course 6″ (eecs), were a little surprised
> too. the recursive patch was elegant, aside from the fact it didn’t
> work.

They deserve an explication…

> i can think of a solution: an internal loop, with a record being kept
> of which level i’m at and an index for each level (my lisp impulse is
> to keep it in a list, but i guess an array of some kind might be more
> idiomatic).

Recursion in Max is possible, but you need to have a pretty good model
of how Max works in your head. I remember how hard it was when I started
Max and wanted to port my recursive algorithms I did in Modula II to
Max. Now I am pretty fluid with it, the most important object is
[deferlow]…

In general I would advise anybody to do recursive algorithms in
javascript or Java. They both integrate very well into Max. The
recursive way of thinking is suited better with “line code”…

And for Lisp geeks there is maxlisp, check it out…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#102886
Apr 30, 2007 at 7:33pm

#102887
May 1, 2007 at 10:27am

#102888
May 1, 2007 at 2:29pm

#102889
May 3, 2007 at 3:16pm

#102890
May 3, 2007 at 11:49pm

sooooo

i have a DS, and i have the m3 hack for it as well. im playing old nintendo roms off of it etc etc.

i would love to use it as a controller for my ableton set.

i already have the wii-mote sorted out with a custom patch i wrote, but the DS touch pad seems like it could be fun.

what do i need to send the touch screen data to max on my laptop????

thanks!

#102891
May 25, 2007 at 2:39pm

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 05:49:58PM -0600, Larry Ursini wrote:
> sooooo
> i have a DS, and i have the m3 hack for it as well. im playing old nintendo roms off of it etc etc.
> i would love to use it as a controller for my ableton set.
> i already have the wii-mote sorted out with a custom patch i wrote, but the DS touch pad seems like it could be fun.
> what do i need to send the touch screen data to max on my laptop????

That is basically what KnobsAndSlidersDS is meant to do. If you go to
< http://mccormick.cx/projects/KnobsAndSlidersDS>, download the bundle,
and try the .nds file and Max/MSP patch, you should be able to make
this happen.

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102892
Jul 6, 2007 at 6:20pm

hello everybody,
Does anybody knows if there is a way to use the Chris nintendo ds soft with a mac airport card without internet conection???
if yes please let me know howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

thanks alot

freeka

#102893
Jul 10, 2007 at 1:12pm

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 12:20:10PM -0600, freeka wrote:
> Does anybody knows if there is a way to use the Chris nintendo ds soft with a mac airport card without internet conection???
> if yes please let me know howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

If the mac wifi card can be configured to act like an access point then
you will be able to connect directly to it. Otherwise you need a
hardware accesspoint, but you don’t need to be connected to the internet
(just to the accesspoint).

Best,

Chris.

——————-

http://mccormick.cx

#102894
Jul 10, 2007 at 1:18pm

SOUNDS PERFECT!

but i can’t know until i fix the lib and homebrews troubles..

Thanks Chris you rules

freeka

#102895
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:04pm

Hi,

I spent all day trying to get this to work for me, and I am feeling like i am pretty close.

I am using Max, or wanting to. I have my DS with R4. I can get the DS to connect to the access point (my lappy) but when using max, i can’t get netreceive to connect to the ds. the print window says it is trying to connect but i don’t get a confirmation message and there is no disconnect message when i disconect.

(p.s. at first i didn’t realize that i needed to add netreceive and netsend into my externals, but i have done that now)

you mentioned that i need to connect directly to the DS IP. I can’t find out what my DS own IP is, (or if it has one – other forums i looked in re this suggested it can’t be found).

am I on the right track here?

#102896
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:11pm

PC or mac??

you need game as mario kart to configure manually your ds IP…

#102897
Sep 5, 2008 at 2:53am

i’m on a mac

yeah, i realised that and i have done those steps, again. I’ve never really used Terminal before to listen to the information coming in, but it doesn’t seem to be hearing anything.

there seems to be a bug in the system somewhere, because i managed to get both the pd and max patches to receive but not send info. Now for some reason it will only send (i can make the knobs etc appear but they don’t send info back to max).

I have tried to open everything in different orders (i.e. opened up max, patch, then turned on ds), no luck.

what else to try?

#102898
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:49pm

did you figured about??

#102899

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.