MaxMSP search paths

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:59am

MaxMSP search paths

While MaxMSP checks through its search paths, what does it do when it encounters an alias (shortcut)?

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:53am

Something I’ve wondered too, but never bothered to actually check until I read your post. As far as I can tell, Max evaluates aliases it encounters in the search path just as if the aliased file or folder was actually within the Max search path.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:57am

For some reason the forums aren’t letting me edit my previous message, just thought I’d add that I tested this on Max/MSP 4.6.3 on OSX 10.4.11. Don’t know if the windows version will behave the same, hope so :)

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:17pm

Depends upon the circumstances.

Several years ago I documented the circumstances in which Max resolved HFS aliases and in which it did not resolve aliases. A quick Google only turns up a different message in which I complained that the Extras menu doesn’t resolve aliases.

Of the top of my head: aliases to folders in the Search Path are resolved and added to the Search Path. That’s about all. Aliases to objects are not resolved, folder aliases in Extras|Clippings|Inspectors are not resolved, aliases to startup items are not resolved. Etc.

I still find it very frustrating that Max is inconsistent in its handling of Aliases, but I suppose we should be grateful for what we get.-(

You may want to read DDZ’s response to the issue at < http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=45987>. That will also give you a hint about the Windows side of your question.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:42pm

Bummer — I was hoping I could just throw an alias to a patcher into Extras.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.