Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP/Jitter basic learning resources.

December 11, 2007 | 4:25 pm

A while ago I posted a summary of learning resources that I prepared for a
residency at Willamette University. I attached it to an email but it did
not reach the list. I when to the forum site and posted the message there
with the attachment but it still didn’t arrive on the list. Many people
have downloaded it from the forum and it is still there. You can see my
message at

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=122344&rid=0&srch=basic
+learning+resources#msg_122344

download the attachment directly from…

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=getfile&id=1007&rid=0&S=55ddb071
cf3cabebed6f971a7549ebe3

There seems to be a sudden increase (yeah!) in new users with lots of
questions that can be answered by going through the things on my list.

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


December 11, 2007 | 5:33 pm

Thank you very much Dr. Nelson. I really try to do as much research on my own before posting questions. This gives me (and other new users) some more resources to try when confronted by a roadblock.
Fletcher


December 11, 2007 | 5:54 pm

I wasn’t complaining about anyone in particular. I am delighted that so
many new people are discovering Max. The goal of my posting was to gather
together the resources that I find most valuable in my own work and that of
my students.

Max is, in fact, easy to learn if you make use of the tutorials, manuals and
help files that have been provided. When I am looking for something myself,
I first ask "is this something I ought to be able to do?" If the answer is
yes then I assume it is somewhere in Max already or in the richness of third
party contributions. Then I search maxobjects.com with keywords that seem
sensible. I almost always find what I am looking for.

On 12/11/07 12:33 PM, "Chad E. Fletcher" wrote:

>
> Thank you very much Dr. Nelson. I really try to do as much research on my own
> before posting questions. This gives me (and other new users) some more
> resources to try when confronted by a roadblock.
> Fletcher

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


December 11, 2007 | 8:12 pm

Nice list, Gary – thanks for sharing it.

Another helpful aspect of this whole thing would be a set of
suggestions for how to work through the tutorials for maximum
benefit. Here’s what I have my students to do when working through
them, anyone else have other/more suggestions?

1) Read the PDF tutorial through and follow along with the associated
Max/MSP/Jitter tutorial file.
2) Open and work with the help file for each newly introduced object.
3) Look up all newly introduced objects in the associated Max/MSP/
Jitter reference manual.
4) Read all reference manual pages for objects referred to in the
‘See Also’ section at the end of each object in step 2 above.
5) Modify/repurpose the tutorial in some substantial way – change
variables, replace objects, reroute data/signals, insert new objects
into the data/signal flow, etc. Save these modified tutorials under a
new name and bring them to class for sharing & discussion.

After doing a number of tutorials:
6) Modify 2 or 3 of them to work together in some way to accomplish
some new task.
7) Create a short etude or piece from significantly modified tutorials.

On Dec 11, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:

> A while ago I posted a summary of learning resources that I
> prepared for a
> residency at Willamette University. I attached it to an email but
> it did
> not reach the list. I when to the forum site and posted the
> message there
> with the attachment but it still didn’t arrive on the list. Many
> people
> have downloaded it from the forum and it is still there. You can
> see my
> message at
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?
> t=msg&goto=122344&rid=0&srch=basic
> +learning+resources#msg_122344
>
> download the attachment directly from…
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?
> t=getfile&id=1007&rid=0&S=55ddb071
> cf3cabebed6f971a7549ebe3
>
> There seems to be a sudden increase (yeah!) in new users with lots of
> questions that can be answered by going through the things on my list.

—-
Steven M. Miller
Professor, Contemporary Music Program
College of Santa Fe

Home < http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill>
SFIFEM <
http://sfifem.csf.edu>
Atrium Sound Space <
http://atrium.csf.edu>
OVOS <
http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill/ovos.html>
CMP <
http://www.csf.edu/csf/academics/cmp/index.html>


December 11, 2007 | 8:24 pm

In step 4, I meant to refer to "in step 3 above" – sorry for the
confusion.

On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Steven Miller wrote:

> Nice list, Gary – thanks for sharing it.
>
> Another helpful aspect of this whole thing would be a set of
> suggestions for how to work through the tutorials for maximum
> benefit. Here’s what I have my students to do when working through
> them, anyone else have other/more suggestions?
>
> 1) Read the PDF tutorial through and follow along with the
> associated Max/MSP/Jitter tutorial file.
> 2) Open and work with the help file for each newly introduced object.
> 3) Look up all newly introduced objects in the associated Max/MSP/
> Jitter reference manual.
> 4) Read all reference manual pages for objects referred to in the
> ‘See Also’ section at the end of each object in step 2 above.
> 5) Modify/repurpose the tutorial in some substantial way – change
> variables, replace objects, reroute data/signals, insert new
> objects into the data/signal flow, etc. Save these modified
> tutorials under a new name and bring them to class for sharing &
> discussion.
>
> After doing a number of tutorials:
> 6) Modify 2 or 3 of them to work together in some way to accomplish
> some new task.
> 7) Create a short etude or piece from significantly modified
> tutorials.
>

—-
Steven M. Miller
Professor, Contemporary Music Program
College of Santa Fe

Home < http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill>
SFIFEM <
http://sfifem.csf.edu>
Atrium Sound Space <
http://atrium.csf.edu>
OVOS <
http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill/ovos.html>
CMP <
http://www.csf.edu/csf/academics/cmp/index.html>


December 11, 2007 | 9:40 pm

YES! I just pasted your list into my document (with credit, of course).
I’ll wait a few days for more suggestion. Then I’ll compile and repost.

On 12/11/07 3:12 PM, "Steven Miller" wrote:

> Nice list, Gary – thanks for sharing it.
>
> Another helpful aspect of this whole thing would be a set of
> suggestions for how to work through the tutorials for maximum
> benefit. Here’s what I have my students to do when working through
> them, anyone else have other/more suggestions?
>
> 1) Read the PDF tutorial through and follow along with the associated
> Max/MSP/Jitter tutorial file.
> 2) Open and work with the help file for each newly introduced object.
> 3) Look up all newly introduced objects in the associated Max/MSP/
> Jitter reference manual.
> 4) Read all reference manual pages for objects referred to in the
> ‘See Also’ section at the end of each object in step 2 above.
> 5) Modify/repurpose the tutorial in some substantial way – change
> variables, replace objects, reroute data/signals, insert new objects
> into the data/signal flow, etc. Save these modified tutorials under a
> new name and bring them to class for sharing & discussion.
>
> After doing a number of tutorials:
> 6) Modify 2 or 3 of them to work together in some way to accomplish
> some new task.
> 7) Create a short etude or piece from significantly modified tutorials.
>
>
> On Dec 11, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
>
>> A while ago I posted a summary of learning resources that I
>> prepared for a
>> residency at Willamette University. I attached it to an email but
>> it did
>> not reach the list. I when to the forum site and posted the
>> message there
>> with the attachment but it still didn’t arrive on the list. Many
>> people
>> have downloaded it from the forum and it is still there. You can
>> see my
>> message at
>>
>> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?
>> t=msg&goto=122344&rid=0&srch=basic
>> +learning+resources#msg_122344
>>
>> download the attachment directly from…
>>
>> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?
>> t=getfile&id=1007&rid=0&S=55ddb071
>> cf3cabebed6f971a7549ebe3
>>
>> There seems to be a sudden increase (yeah!) in new users with lots of
>> questions that can be answered by going through the things on my list.
>
> —-
> Steven M. Miller
> Professor, Contemporary Music Program
> College of Santa Fe
>
> Home < http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill>
> SFIFEM <
http://sfifem.csf.edu>
> Atrium Sound Space <
http://atrium.csf.edu>
> OVOS <
http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill/ovos.html>
> CMP <
http://www.csf.edu/csf/academics/cmp/index.html>
>
>

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


December 12, 2007 | 5:53 pm

Gary many thanks for this. This is useful in more ways than I can think

I am a long standing user of Max yet I managed to ask some pretty obvious
and stupid questions at times, Just do a search on my name on the list and
you will see!.

The problem for me ( and I would like to hear what others think of this) is
that I work with a specific set of objects, mainly signal processing
objects. I spend a lot of time manipulating classic and trivial waves for a
specific purpose, however when I come to use list based and other objects I
am dumb as a wall and so have to look at the tutorials etc and now and
again, late at night cannot find the answer so post one of my questions
(thought the answer is always in front of me!)

So thanks for this

best Pere

PS, No don;t see any roadblocks here, just more info, the the beauty of
community!

On 11/12/2007, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
>
> A while ago I posted a summary of learning resources that I prepared for a
> residency at Willamette University. I attached it to an email but it did
> not reach the list. I when to the forum site and posted the message there
> with the attachment but it still didn’t arrive on the list. Many people
> have downloaded it from the forum and it is still there. You can see my
> message at
>
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=122344&rid=0&srch=basic
> +learning+resources#msg_122344
>
> download the attachment directly from…
>
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=getfile&id=1007&rid=0&S=55ddb071
> cf3cabebed6f971a7549ebe3
>
> There seems to be a sudden increase (yeah!) in new users with lots of
> questions that can be answered by going through the things on my list.
>
> Cheers
> Gary Lee Nelson
> Oberlin College
> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>
>
>


Pere J Villez: Pereshaped


December 12, 2007 | 10:58 pm

hello gary,

you can put on your list

http://ilovetikva.com/maxmsp/ExamplesFromProffesor/

some good video tutorials

vlad basalici


December 15, 2007 | 9:50 pm

Hi Gary,

Notes and some patches for a Max/Jitter class I teach at Coventry
University.
I probably borrowed some material from others I’ve found online.

http://lowfrequency.org/interactivity/wiki/index.php?
title=212MC_Term1_2007

Also, I’d be interested in hearing some feedback about the examples,
etc.

Cheers
Evan


Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)