Forums > MaxMSP

Max/MSP/Jitter Euroworkshop for beginners, 27-30 March

March 13, 2007 | 8:25 pm

Our next Max/MSP/Jitter beginners-only workshop will be held in Europe – to be more specific, at the TU-Delft in the Netherlands.

This workshop is *specifically for and limited to beginning users*, and is intended to provide an introduction to Max, MSP, and Jitter together as a unit. It concentrates on the basics of working with Max for all users in a variety of situations including audio and image processing.

The topics to be covered in the workshop include an overview of the Max, MSP, and Jitter objects in their natural habitat, basic audio and video processing techniques, strategies for patch design and creation, user interface design, and techniques for better patching, learning & problem solving. Particular emphasis will be given to learning about and taking advantage of Max’s data neutrality — the ability to interconnect audio and video image processing data.

This workshop places an emphasis on strategies for learning Max/MSP/Jitter that can be applied after the workshop ends.

Participants are required to bring their own laptop (Windows or Mac) with Max/MSP/Jitter installed. A three-month software authorization will be provided with the US$400 class fee. To reserve a space call Jill at 415-974-1818, ext. 4# or e-mail workshop@cycling74.com . Space for this workshop is EXTREMELY limited, so sign up quickly!

date: March 27 to March 30, 2007
time: 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
place: TU Delft
http://www.tudelft.nl
instructors: Gregory Taylor and Brendan Wypich

March 14, 2007 | 6:17 pm

One side-effect of posting this workshop announcement myself that I hadn’t counted on was the opportunity to hear from some Dutch friends and acquaintances, and they’ve reminded me of something that I wanted to stress. I’ll keep it short.

This really IS a workshop for beginners, with the specific intent of working with those fine people who have little or no experience with Max/MSP/Jitter. It’s our goal to encourage that specific audience [I tell my workshop groups that my expressed goal is to help train a new generation of Max users who don't make the beginner mistakes we read here all the time, and thus to make life more interesting for the Max list and for customer support]. There are various workshop-like things that attempt to serve a variety of levels of understanding at the same time, but this isn’t one of them. When we have these workshops domestically, my colleague Jill has a chance to talk to prospective attendees and let ‘em know what we’re up to and why. It’ll be a little tougher to do this long-distance, so I thought I’d err on the side of disclosure.

At some point, we’ll be doing workshops that center on what I would think of as more "intermediate" skills [scripting/advanced plug-in design and building/Java and Javascript/Open GL and slabbery], but we’re not doing that this time around.

The Dutch have a great saying: "Een goed begin is ‘t halve werk" (A good start is half the work). *That*s* what we’re going for here.

with regards,
gregory

March 17, 2007 | 2:37 pm

Quote: Gregory Taylor wrote on Wed, 14 March 2007 19:17
—————————————————-
> One side-effect of posting this workshop announcement myself that I hadn’t counted on was the opportunity to hear from some Dutch friends and acquaintances,

How about a general get-together where the more experienced users are allowed as well? I vote for the Locus Publicus cafe, in the historical centre of Delft, where students of TU Delft use to enjoy the wide variety of dutch and belgian beers:

http://www.locuspublicus.nl/wb/

Cheers ;)
Mattijs

March 17, 2007 | 7:04 pm

> How about a general get-together where the more experienced users are allowed as well? I vote for the Locus Publicus cafe, in the historical centre of Delft

That would be fine, although I would recommend doing this
later in the week so that you have a better chance of talking
to me as opposed to little friend Mr. Jet Lag. Locus Publicus
would be fine, but perhaps it would be best to take this to email.

March 17, 2007 | 11:51 pm

Quote: Gregory Taylor wrote on Sat, 17 March 2007 20:04
—————————————————-
> > How about a general get-together where the more experienced users are allowed as well? I vote for the Locus Publicus cafe, in the historical centre of Delft
>
> That would be fine, although I would recommend doing this
> later in the week so that you have a better chance of talking
> to me as opposed to little friend Mr. Jet Lag. Locus Publicus
> would be fine, but perhaps it would be best to take this to email.

Good idea. The mailaddress that I used to register on this forum is no longer operational, could you please send me an email on mattijs@smadsteck.nl?

Thanks,
Mattijs

March 28, 2007 | 12:18 pm

Ok, dutch maxers, there is room for a few people to join us Thursday evening in Delft after Gregory’s course. If you feel like being there, please drop me a mail at mattijs [at] smadsteck [dot] nl.

Cheers,
Mattijs

March 30, 2007 | 11:56 am

Is there any chance of a similar event in the UK at somepoint?

I’m slightly beyond the target demographic, (probably only slightly though), but i’m sure i’d still take a lot from it.

There’s a lot of Maxers over here :0)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)