MAX/Rewire/Reason/MIDI problem

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:56pm

MAX/Rewire/Reason/MIDI problem

In the main Max patch I use, I do a lot of live sampling. I can choose three options for the input for this sampling: a soundfile, a live input or a Rewire device. The main Rewire device I use is Reason and it works fine if I just use it to play pre-programmed songs into Max. However, what I REALLY want to do is play the synths in Reason using my MIDI keyboard and sample the results live in Max. Unforunately, when Reason is Rewire slaved to Max, it won’t respond to the MIDI signal from the keyboard. I guess the signal needs to fo THROUGH Max but I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that. It may be complicated by the fact that I have another MIDI controller plugged in to control the Max patch with.

I’ve attached my current Rewire subpatcher from the patch.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:02pm

Not sure what you want to do with MIDI as in, do you want to control one or both? If you wanted to play a synth in reason and mess it up in max with a granular algorithm patch or something, you could just use sound flower (if you are on osx) out of reason. Then just set the input in max to sound flower too.
Hope this helps a bit
T

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:28pm

Yes, he could use Soundflower to do that — if it worked. The current incarnation of Soundflower (version 1.2) is broken. So he might want to try Jack.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:42pm

Forgive my ignorance but I don’t know what Soundflower and Jack are or, indeed, where to get them.

What I want to do is use my MIDI keyboard to improvise chords and melodies in Reason, send the audio into my Max patch and sample/process the results there – using my other MIDI controller to adjust settings in the Max patch. It occurs to me that it may be simpler to just use VST synths and do it all in Max.

Not sure my file attached last time, so I’ll try again. I figure, if I can get the wiring right in this subpatcher, then the whole MAX/Rewire/Reason hing should work.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:03pm

You can get Soundflower (and Soundflowerbed) from cycling74′s website.

Works for me!

On 8/8/06, Sam Macklin wrote:
>
>
> Forgive my ignorance but I don’t know what Soundflower and Jack are or,
> indeed, where to get them.
>
> What I want to do is use my MIDI keyboard to improvise chords and melodies
> in Reason, send the audio into my Max patch and sample/process the results
> there – using my other MIDI controller to adjust settings in the Max
> patch. It occurs to me that it may be simpler to just use VST synths and do
> it all in Max.
>
> Not sure my file attached last time, so I’ll try again. I figure, if I
> can get the wiring right in this subpatcher, then the whole
> MAX/Rewire/Reason hing should work.
>

arliss renwick
pellucid@telus.net
http://www.myspace.com/radiopellucid
http://www.homepage.mac.com/pellucidmusic/pellucid_index.html

http://www.copperspine.com

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:05pm

Soundflower is a beautifully useful app available free from the download section of this site, it creates virtual audio connections to any program.I.e you could send the sound output of reason to the input of Max. I’m guessing jack is a similar principle.

I now get what you are trying to do. May be worth looking into some posts about what can be done with rewire.I’ve only ever sent audio or midi, but I wouldnt be suprised if you could send both so you could in the max patch, have a notein and send that out through rewire to reason. Then send the audio out of rewire straight into max. Then you could just use ctrlin messages.

However, as I said that might not work, in which case the other option would be to try maybe using midi channel one in reason and 2 in max. Or something similar.

Last thing, alas the file will not attach, theres a bug in the forum. You need to open the mxb file with the ‘open as text’ command in the file menu. Copy that and dump it in this window. everyone will know what to do with it.

As you said. Maybe Vst~ could be the solution. Or you could build a synth in max? I’ve got a few I can offer if you want.

Hope this helps
T

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:08pm

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:01pm

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:06pm

Do you know of an experienced Max programmer (in Mac OSX)? Please respond.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:24pm

I’m quite experianced in various facets, but depends what you want to do?
T

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:29pm

In reason’s preferences there should be an option to create rewire midi devices. From there it’s pretty simple, just plug a midin extern into a midiout extern that is set to a rewire midi channel. Easy peasy.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:29am

I’ve installed Soundflower and Soundflowerbed but Soundflowerbed says that Soundflower isn’t installed. What gives?

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:33am

I’ve installed Soundflower and Soundflowerbed but Soundflowerbed says that Soundflower isn’t installed. What gives?

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:26am

Like I warned earlier in the thread, the latest Soundflower version 1.2 does not work. The installer or the app itself is broken. There are numerous reports of it not working at various forums on the web including the one I started here at c74.

Quote: connect_icut wrote on Tue, 08 August 2006 23:33
—————————————————-
> I’ve installed Soundflower and Soundflowerbed but Soundflowerbed says that Soundflower isn’t installed. What gives?
—————————————————-

Aug 9, 2006 at 4:45am

Is it possible to download an earlier version of Soundflower? I couldn’t find one on the C74 site.

In the meantime, I’m going to give Jack a try.

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:09am

Not sure Jack is going to work with Reason. When I select Jack as the audio driver in Max, it puts Reason in rewire slave mode which stops me from selecting Jack as the audio driver for Reason.

Anyone got any tips?

Aug 9, 2006 at 5:11am

Oh, you start Reason first and voila. Now I’m getting somewhere. Still, help and advice would be appreciated.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:38am
Aug 9, 2006 at 7:15am

Thanks to everyone for their help on this (hi Arliss!)

I finally got it sorted out using Jack and, let me tell you, it sounds like a dream. LIKE A DREAM! I finally have the hardware/software setup I always wanted.

Thanks again, everybody.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.