Meaning of several of the Messages popup

Sep 30, 2006 at 10:08pm

Meaning of several of the Messages popup

When I get the list of Messages for an object, some of them include “anything [variable]“. What does this mean? Is it one of those “bogus test messages left in by mistake”?

Wondering about using this potential to create custom messages to objects. Similar to my previous post about Inspector patches / getting info. I can imagine the potential usefulness of a “getstate” message for any object… can this be implemented relatively easily?

-CJ

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:40pm

Seejay James wrote:
> Wondering about using this potential to create custom messages to
> objects. Similar to my previous post about Inspector patches /
> getting info. I can imagine the potential usefulness of a “getstate”
> message for any object… can this be implemented relatively easily?

it just means there is a method for dealing with anything (all which is
not covered by the other methods.
What it actually does depends on the object. (The helpfile/manual will tell)
Certainly if there is an anything method you would not get any “blabla
doesn’t understand “something”" error messages in the Max window if you
send it the message [something ...]…
(Unless the anything method would create such an error message… ;-)

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:15pm

> Certainly if there is an anything method you would not get any “blabla
> doesn’t understand “something”" error messages in the Max window if you
> send it the message [something ...]

this can be an advaantage when an object _accepts
messages it doesnt _understand, for exatcly that reason,
not outputting annoying error-blahblah to the console.

max typing to the console can interrupt midi input easily
(or the sheduler)

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:16pm

Thanks Roman, that makes things a lot clearer. I was just fiddling around in the Inspectors and trying to get a feel for the more “under-the-hood” stuff, plus trying to decipher the Max file format (#P et. al.) The Getstate was the key to seeing what changed as I made changes in the Inspector (particularly with the flags for the number box, which I want to be able to set from outside). (BTW, those values are constructed in *almost* a logical way, but not quite… having “Draw Triangle” subtracts 32 from the value, while all others add some amount… interesting, though a bit confusing at first.)

I went ahead and built a little counter/coll/”flag-trigger” within the number Inspector itself. I ran the numbers 1-32 through a decimal-to-binary converter and sent these lists of 5 binary numbers to the flag selection area, so that it would automatically select all possible configurations. Then it recorded the results in a list, so if one can determine which configuration one wants, they can send the number box a flags message and set it. I posted the list and the conversion patch on a new topic, in case anyone wants the info. (Of course, the min and max, as well as display style, aren’t really addressed… though they add amounts in a logical fashion.)

This will sound like the noobiest question ever, but what’s the best way to copy/paste/open the text examples on the forum here? I can’t seem to get them to open as patches.

Thanks again! Learning more and more every day…..

-CJ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.