Forums > MaxMSP

Media Player! Skip track? Import to a library etc? Insight!

February 20, 2008 | 11:11 pm

Hi All Hope Your Good!
I have been working on my own media player program. I have currently been focusing on an audio visualizer which is working fantastically but now im at the stage where need to concentrate on the audio player side of things.
I know sfplay and how it plays files, and is able to set cue points and have managed to figure how to move to certain point in audio file but im a bit stuck on how do other functions i wish to do.

Basically i would like to be able to create a media library where a user could import any song they liked and this would then be added to a directory like itunes for instance, after which the files could be selected from a sort of list and played. Also i would like a skip track function for this list? I know i can manually create messages to correspond with audiofiles to play them but i require something more automatic.

I only been working max msp for half year now so im still learning, any insight would be fantastic!! Thanks

February 21, 2008 | 4:03 am

I managed to work it out myself, if anyones interested just let me know.

May 8, 2008 | 1:46 pm

hi,
I’m actually working on something similar, I have a pulse sensor that plugs into the microphone input, I can get bpm and all that jazz no problem, I now want to create a music library to put in the program so that the heart rate bpm is matched to a the bpm of a song and then plays that song.
I have no idea how to make a music library…

any clues thrown my way would be much appreciated

thanks!

May 8, 2008 | 2:23 pm

Quote: Studio DJ wrote on Wed, 20 February 2008 18:11
—————————————————-
> Hi All Hope Your Good!
> I have been working on my own media player program. I have currently been focusing on an audio visualizer which is working fantastically but now im at the stage where need to concentrate on the audio player side of things.
> I know sfplay and how it plays files, and is able to set cue points and have managed to figure how to move to certain point in audio file but im a bit stuck on how do other functions i wish to do.
>
> Basically i would like to be able to create a media library where a user could import any song they liked and this would then be added to a directory like itunes for instance, after which the files could be selected from a sort of list and played. Also i would like a skip track function for this list? I know i can manually create messages to correspond with audiofiles to play them but i require something more automatic.
>
> I only been working max msp for half year now so im still learning, any insight would be fantastic!! Thanks
—————————————————-

Pretty cool, love to see when you’re testing/done.

May 12, 2008 | 8:34 am

Yeah sure, here are some tips to make a media library.

sfplay – to obviously play the audio

sfinfo – to retrieve song information

sflist – create a list of files to play

coll – to store info

unpack, and pack – pack info together to add to coll, and to also unpack to retrieve info

jit.cell – to make visual and interactive music list.

I think these are the right names, its all off the top of my head at the moment and a bit brief.

But the idea is that the cue function for sfplay is used to trigger songs within sflist, but also storing the list in coll to be saved and recalled when ever the user opens the media player ( like itunes). Using jit cell allows the user to create a list to display song names, or whatever but also outputs the cell data when clicked.

Any more questions let me know

May 12, 2008 | 10:45 am

thanks, that actually makes some sense in my limited Max vocab… I’ll give it a whirl!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)