Forums > MaxMSP

Menubar – Launching apps

October 23, 2007 | 8:32 pm

Hi

I’ve bottomed out a few ways to access the pdf documentation directly from the Max menubar – both methods involve dropping a patch in the ‘extras’ folder – one uses a html links page via a jitter object and the other (neater) uses the ‘shell’ external – all’s fine there – but it’s gettin’ a bit messy in there (the extras menu)…….

… is there a way to augment the max menus with a new menu item (ie not go back to basic 4 + new one … as menubar does) and is there a nice way to directly view a pdf that is not reliant on an external (currently passing an open filereference to the shell in a self closing patch, so it’s neat enough – but not portable)

..it’d be nice if they could be squeezed onto that Help menu in the menu bar … possible ? anyone ?

pointers appreciated

cheers

October 23, 2007 | 10:06 pm

Hi,

maybe I don’t understand the question, but doesn’t jit.qt.movie read
pdf files, with frame control of pages?

On 23/10/2007, scotty wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I’ve bottomed out a few ways to access the pdf documentation directly from the Max menubar – both methods involve dropping a patch in the ‘extras’ folder – one uses a html links page via a jitter object and the other (neater) uses the ‘shell’ external – all’s fine there – but it’s gettin’ a bit messy in there (the extras menu)…….
>
> … is there a way to augment the max menus with a new menu item (ie not go back to basic 4 + new one … as menubar does) and is there a nice way to directly view a pdf that is not reliant on an external (currently passing an open filereference to the shell in a self closing patch, so it’s neat enough – but not portable)
>
> ..it’d be nice if they could be squeezed onto that Help menu in the menu bar … possible ? anyone ?
>
> pointers appreciated
>
> cheers
>

Pere Josep Villez
Creative and Computational Sound
Department of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth
36-40 Middle Street
Portsmouth
PO5
Tel 00 44 23 9284 8484

http://www.centuryofnoise.com
http://www.perevillez.com

October 24, 2007 | 1:51 am

Thanks – I didn’t know about that – i’ll have a look to see if it improves matters – however, searching a pdf with the drawer in mac osx preview app is pretty handy, i guess it won’t have a similar index page in that implementation

anyway thanks again for the pointer, good to know it’s there – i’ll certainly investigate

October 29, 2007 | 4:52 pm

scotty schrieb:
> is there a nice way to directly view a pdf that is not reliant on an
> external

yes use the launchbrowser message to Max:

You need to know the complete path though…

I use it in my MaxOverview patch…

It will open whatever application is assigned to the file type. Works on
Mac and on Windoof…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

October 30, 2007 | 7:34 am

many thanks / danke
i will investigate, sounds promising

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)