Forums > MaxMSP

metronome

June 12, 2006 | 1:56 pm


June 12, 2006 | 3:41 pm

The problem is that metro is not really a metronome. It is an alarm clock.
The ms time parameter tells metro how long to wait until the next bang.
Updates to the right inlet take effect when the previous time period
expires. If you are going from fast to slow this may not be evident but
slow to fast certainly is. At the point where you change from mm = 160 to
80 this will be quite obvious. Unfortunately waiting for a bang doesn’t to
the trick since the next time delay has already begun. The remedy is the
tempo object. You might also try metro~. I looked at it but I’m not sure
how it works.

Cheers,
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


June 12, 2006 | 5:06 pm

On 12-Jun-2006, at 17:41, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
> The problem is that metro is not really a metronome. It is an
> alarm clock.

Nicely put.

Thinking outside the box, it occurs to me that a solution could be
found in the Litter Power object lp.frrr~. I know that when I built
the object, I added code to specifically deal with the issue of the
user increasing the speed of pulses. Instead of waiting for the next
"alarm" to ring before adjusting tempo, frrr~ calculates what
percentage of time-between-pulses has passed and adjusts the
scheduled time of the next alarm proportionally, based on the new
pulse rate. So whenever you change pulse rate, frrr~ responds with a
slower or faster tempo immediately.

If metro~ or tempo does this, then fine. But if you’re still looking
for a solution, someone (maybe even li’l ol’ me) could look into
building an example with lp.frrr~.

Just an idea.

Best — Peter

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter

iCE: Sequencing, Recording & |home | chez nous|
Interface Building for |bei uns | i nostri|
Max/MSP Extremely cool http://www.castine.de

http://www.dspaudio.com/


June 14, 2006 | 5:17 am

Gary Lee Nelson wrote:
> The problem is that metro is not really a metronome. It is an alarm clock.

One workaround could be, to do it as in the Midi spec: Midiclock is a
clock wich is 24-times faster than the beat…

metro’s resolution might not be good enough for that though…
(In that case move to MSP…)

#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P number 200 65 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P inlet 181 65 15 0;
#P outlet 87 205 15 0;
#P toggle 87 50 15 0;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 87 175 50 196617 sel 1;
#N counter 1 24;
#X flags 0 0;
#P newobj 87 149 88 196617 counter 1 24;
#P newex 181 90 50 196617 / 24;
#P newex 87 118 104 196617 metro 100;
#P connect 0 0 2 0;
#P connect 4 0 0 0;
#P connect 4 0 2 2;
#P connect 1 0 0 1;
#P connect 6 0 1 0;
#P connect 7 0 1 0;
#P connect 3 0 5 0;
#P connect 2 0 3 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 8;


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


June 15, 2006 | 12:12 pm

An easy hack I’ve used is this situation is to restart the metronome by sending it a ’1′ to the left inlet each time you change the speed. A [trigger 1 i] works well.


June 15, 2006 | 12:25 pm


Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)