midi channels in one midi device/instrument

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:21pm

midi channels in one midi device/instrument

i just picked up a korg padkontrol (pardon me if this becomes a hardware specific thread but have to ask) and got excited that i can have various scene on the padkontrol on various midi channels, hoping that i could route separate channels into one midi track and thus one device/instrument. I set up one scene with the pads on midi channel 1 and the second on midi channel 2.

now, using a midi select object @ch1 with the midi track in ableton set to channel 1 i get midi data, and the same if i @ch 2 and have the midi track on channel 2, but, my hopes were that i could have ableton midi track to ‘all channels; and have two midi select objects, one @ch 1 and the other @ch 2, but i dont get separate data between scenes, and i only get data on @ch 1 even if i’m on scene 2 (midi channel 2).

so really my question is, how the f can i have multiple midi channels going into one track and device and be able to get data from all of them.

i basically want to build a device that uses different midi data on individual channels to do stuff, and cant get a result.

thanks
ned.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:25am

Prepare yourself for a huge disapointment.

Ready?

It´s impossible! Ableton Live changes the channel of all midi data to 1. Why? I don´t know! It´s one of the great mysteries of Ableton. You can only hope (like me) that Live 9 (if it will ever be released) will change this.

Just to clarify: the problem has nothing to do with max4live but only with the way Live processes midi data. The very moment your midi data runs through a Live midi channel all channel information is lost and set to channel 1.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:30am

i had a feeling this would be the case. seems weird that its not mentioned in the documentation, or maybe it is and i didnt navigate to it.

i guess a work around would be to spread all midi notes across multiple scenes.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:39pm

Instruments (including Max for Live instruments) can receive on multiple MIDI channels – you have to route the MIDI in from other MIDI tracks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.